"Everybody Duck" from Joyce Kirkpatrick

This adorable baby quilt called my name the minute I saw the pattern at a local quilt shop. I had never done machine appliqué but decided it didn't look too hard. Besides, the pattern was on sale so I had to have it. I dove into the project which took me just about two weeks to complete. I made one small booboo early on which had to do with the tracing of the appliqués. Instead of tracing each of the parts of the duck separately, I just traced the whole duck. When I started to cut it out it dawned on me what I had done...lol. Oh well, they say we learn more from our own mistakes. Luckily, I discovered the error of my ways on the first duck so it wasn't a major catastrophe. I did learn a neat trick when it called for making two of the same duck with one of them being a mirror image. Using quilting paper I traced the duck image and then simply turned it over to reverse the image. I then had a mirror image to trace.

Any of you longtime quilters probably already know that trick but it was simple, yet brilliant to me. The only thing I'll probably do differently on my next appliqué project is to invest in a light box. Trying to hold up the pattern on my front glass door was just too awkward. Besides, I'm sure the neighbors wondered what the heck I was doing!   I've been practicing my free-hand machine quilting and decided to place swirls in the sashing to give the impression of water. Ducks need water, right? The small dark orange squares simply have diagonal stitch lines to form an "X". I also shadow-stitched around the ducks, but I wanted to leave the rest of the area surrounding them to be soft and "puffy", so I did not quilt in the triangles of each block. The border and inner sash are quilted with a simple meandering stitch.   I really didn't have anyone special in mind when I decided to make this quilt. I simply did it for me to learn machine appliqué. I've been wanting to do something with Sunbonnet Sue so this quilt certainly gave me the necessary practice and confidence to tackle that. I may hang on to it for one of my sons...whenever they finally decide to get married and give me some grandkids. Or, I work in a large office and one of the many young mother's-to-be might be interested in it. For now, I get alot of satisfaction and feeling of accomplishment just looking at it for my own enjoyment.   I've been quilting for about a year and a half and have been loving every minute of it. I love meeting new friends who have the same passion (uh, obsession) as I do. Everyone is so willing to share their knowledge and give me lots of encouragement to know I can do anything I set my mind to. I know there will be many more appliqué quilts in my future as I had so much fun making this one.

Comments

Linda Lou wrote re: "Everybody Duck" from Joyce Kirkpatrick
on Wednesday, 24 June 2009, 1:40 PM

Joyce,

This is a beautiful quilt!!  I am sure that whomever is the receiver of this quilt will enjoy it as much as you enjoyed making it.

Marge Campbell wrote re: "Everybody Duck" from Joyce Kirkpatrick
on Wednesday, 24 June 2009, 4:10 PM

This is soooo cute!  Love it.  I usually use freezer paper to do my applique templates.  I use a light under my glass top coffee table (hey, it works, and I can use it while watching tv) as my light box, trace the design onto the dull side of the freezer paper, then layer the traced design and a 2nd piece of freezer paper shiny sides together, pin and cut out both at the same time.  You can do up to 6 layers of freezer paper like this.  I'm doing a BOM that has 28 roses (10 petals each) & if it weren't for this method, I'd have given up by now!

I just took a Noah's Ark appliqued quilt off the machine.  Lizzie never balked at all my overlapping appliques!  I just didn't have time to trim them all.  Now, I have to get  back to the photos for an anniversary quilt.

Marge

Kris wrote re: "Everybody Duck" from Joyce Kirkpatrick
on Wednesday, 24 June 2009, 4:50 PM

Joyce,

Lovely quilt. I'm sure Jody will love it. She's the ultimate duck lady. Whoever ends up with it will be very lucky to have your 1st machine applique project.

I use a rubbermaid container as my light box. I simply turn it upside down with my desk lamp under it. I works great and it's bigger than a regular light box.

Kathy Patterson wrote re: "Everybody Duck" from Joyce Kirkpatrick
on Wednesday, 24 June 2009, 4:56 PM

Joyce,

That is too cute.  I dare say whoever gets that quilt will be a 'lucky duck'.  You will have people waiting in line for it.  I know it was fun to make.  Great job.

Pam Schue wrote re: "Everybody Duck" from Joyce Kirkpatrick
on Wednesday, 24 June 2009, 5:28 PM

How cute is that?   Great for either gender.  I noticed the ducks on the white  fabric as well. How appropriate!Machine applique beats hand applique any day.   Wonderful job

Pam from IN

Kathee Young wrote re: "Everybody Duck" from Joyce Kirkpatrick
on Wednesday, 24 June 2009, 10:05 PM

Absolutely darling quilt! Lucky Baby that receives that one. Good job, Joyce! Keep up your creative endeavors!

Stephanie wrote re: "Everybody Duck" from Joyce Kirkpatrick
on Wednesday, 24 June 2009, 10:26 PM

Joyce,  I think this is just the cutest quilt I have seen in a long time. I love the expressions on all the little duck faces. I heard of a tip to do for a light box. You just take an inexpensive flourescent light and turn a plastic storage box bottom up on top of it and there you go.

Kim wrote re: "Everybody Duck" from Joyce Kirkpatrick
on Thursday, 25 June 2009, 6:54 AM

What an adorable quilt....so fun!  I haven't attempted applique as of yet - your quilt is very inspiring!  Congrats on creating such a beautiful quilt!!

Joyce Brenden wrote re: "Everybody Duck" from Joyce Kirkpatrick
on Thursday, 25 June 2009, 2:18 PM

Joyce--

Your Ducky quilt is absolutely adorable.  Machine applique is one of my favorite techniques and baby quilts are my business, so I was immediately drawn to your posting.  Thank you for letting us see it.

icilee wrote re: "Everybody Duck" from Joyce Kirkpatrick
on Thursday, 25 June 2009, 7:09 PM

Very pretty selection of fabric.  A very good job.  I have wanted to try my hand at free motion.  I hope to try soon.  Again, thanks for the pictures.  Makes me want to sew.

guehlein@yahoo.com wrote re: "Everybody Duck" from Joyce Kirkpatrick
on Thursday, 25 June 2009, 7:38 PM

Absolutely adorable - Love those little ducks. Makes me want to drag out more fabric and start "another" quilt.

Joyce K. wrote re: "Everybody Duck" from Joyce Kirkpatrick
on Thursday, 25 June 2009, 10:15 PM

Thank you everyone for your comments. I'm such a newbie at quilting. It means a lot to receive some positive praise as it's very encouraging. I love the idea of the light box, Stephanie!! How simple of a solution. I'll definitely be doing that. Sure beats trying to be a contortionist on my front glass door. Thanks again everyone!!

Melva Campbell wrote re: "Everybody Duck" from Joyce Kirkpatrick
on Friday, 26 June 2009, 8:05 AM

For a portable light box a friend uses 2 cheese boxes and an inexpensive flourescent plug in light from the hardware, then covers the cheese boxes with a glass taken from a picture frame. If the light glares, cover the glass with a piece of template plastic. This could be free if you borrow the light from hubby. Loved the Ducky quilt. What company sells the pattern? Good for both a boy and girl baby.

Patricia wrote re: "Everybody Duck" from Joyce Kirkpatrick
on Friday, 26 June 2009, 10:57 AM

What darling baby quilt!

Judi wrote re: "Everybody Duck" from Joyce Kirkpatrick
on Friday, 26 June 2009, 11:49 AM

Please tell me whre to buy this pattern!!! My youngest son is nicknamed "DuckY" so I really think he would just have a fit to get this.  He is 24!  I buy him all kinds of rubber ducky stuff.

nipr724@sbcglobal.net wrote re: "Everybody Duck" from Joyce Kirkpatrick
on Saturday, 27 June 2009, 1:20 AM

What a happy quilt!  It looks like it was a joy to work on and will be a joy for a youngster to cuddle in.  Good job.

Joyce K. wrote re: "Everybody Duck" from Joyce Kirkpatrick
on Saturday, 27 June 2009, 7:04 AM

Melva and Judy, the pattern is published by "That Patchwork Place" and is called "Everybody Duck". It actually has three quilt versions in the one package. I found mine at a local quilt shop, but google the title and you're likely to find it someplace online.

thomasna@bellsouth.net wrote re: "Everybody Duck" from Joyce Kirkpatrick
on Saturday, 27 June 2009, 10:51 AM

Joyce:

Very cute quilt.  Keep up the good work.  I am also new to applique and am glad to hear the great ideas for the light boxes.

JudyT wrote re: "Everybody Duck" from Joyce Kirkpatrick
on Sunday, 28 June 2009, 12:54 PM

LOVE IT!! I am not an applique person but I hae 2 quiltss in thee works that are.

Mary D. wrote re: "Everybody Duck" from Joyce Kirkpatrick
on Sunday, 28 June 2009, 10:22 PM

It is a really cute quilt, I am sure who ever received it will be very happy with it.

Tawnya wrote re: "Everybody Duck" from Joyce Kirkpatrick
on Monday, 29 June 2009, 3:00 PM

I love the character that each duck has.  What a great job you did.  It's adorable.  Thanks for sharing.

sewroe@hotmail.com wrote re: "Everybody Duck" from Joyce Kirkpatrick
on Tuesday, 30 June 2009, 6:59 AM

Your "Ducky" quilt just quacked me up!  Great job!

donna wrote re: "Everybody Duck" from Joyce Kirkpatrick
on Tuesday, 30 June 2009, 9:06 PM

This is a cute baby quilt, I started to quilt and making a baby quilt for my step-daughter. My grandson's name is in the quilt, I know she will like it. All I need to do is put the binding in and all done!!  Yeah!!

Debera Floyd wrote re: "Everybody Duck" from Joyce Kirkpatrick
on Wednesday, 8 July 2009, 10:00 PM

I love these ducks you did a great job

debera

Thea wrote re: "Everybody Duck" from Joyce Kirkpatrick
on Thursday, 23 July 2009, 11:17 AM

I vote that you put it in a hope chest for a Grandchild that will come in the future - to make something like this and give it away out of the family is not in my vocabulary.  I have made quilts that have gone to people but it is upon their request - I put so much love into my quilts that they have to go to family and friends - aren't I horrible...lol  But this is a special and beautiful quilt that is saying hold on to me - I want to go to your first Grand child... now you see how insane I really am - quilts talk to me...lol

great quilt - can't wait to see your Sunbonnet Sue - I am getting ready to make my first Sunbonnet Sue quilt.

chocake2 wrote re: "Everybody Duck" from Joyce Kirkpatrick
on Saturday, 25 July 2009, 2:50 PM

Too-Too Sweet! I LOVE it!!

My "light box" is an old window my landlord left here placed over the table. I open out the table for the extension and lay the window over it, them plug in a lamp to set on the floor... It's awkward but it works and it's cheap! LOL

Sherril wrote re: "Everybody Duck" from Joyce Kirkpatrick
on Friday, 16 April 2010, 3:02 PM

Ducks are a timeless classic for baby quilts, and you certainly did one that looks fun and bright.  Great job, Happy Stitching!!!

lac82452 wrote re: "Everybody Duck" from Joyce Kirkpatrick
on Friday, 2 July 2010, 3:59 PM

Too adorable!  Want to make one like it.