"Antique Star Quilt" from Althea

This is a quilt made by my Great *Great* Grandmother Weatherstone Milne.  It was made in the 1870s.  It is just a quilt top - hand sewn.  One of the blocks has a piece of fabric in it that shows Queen Victoria and the date 1870.  My Grandmother Milne was born in 1819 and died in 1911.  She was born in Scotland and traveled to Canada by ship in 1832.  She married my Grandfather in 1836.  Their first son my Great* Grandfather David Milne moved to Lockport NY.  His daughter married my Grandfather Judd.  The quilt was handed down to my Great Grandmother Judd and then to my Mother and then to me.  It is in beautiful condition - never been washed and for most of the life of the quilt was kept in a cedar chest.  I am not sure when my Grandmother Judd received the quilt but my Mother said it was given to her in 1945.    I am very proud to own this piece of history.  I am thinking of contacting the Milne Association in Toronto to see if they would like the quilt.  My Grandmother and the Milne family are a part of the Toronto history - their cemetery is in the Edwards Gardens there.

Comments

Linda Lou wrote re: "Antique Star Quilt" from Althea
on Tuesday, 23 June 2009, 9:28 PM

What a treasure!!!  I am sure you are so very proud to have this beautiful quilt top.  This piece of history truly deserves to be in a museum somewhere.  Thanks for sharing.

mary ellen wrote re: "Antique Star Quilt" from Althea
on Thursday, 25 June 2009, 6:00 PM

I realize it would be hard to part with, but it really should go to a museum that can take care of it and let the public share in it.  It's magnificent!

Marge Campbell wrote re: "Antique Star Quilt" from Althea
on Sunday, 28 June 2009, 8:28 PM

What a beautiful quilt!  I think you are thinking in the right direction, this is a quilt worthy of a museum!

Tawnya wrote re: "Antique Star Quilt" from Althea
on Monday, 29 June 2009, 3:03 PM

Just imagine if that quilt could talk, the stories it could tell.  You should write out all you know about the grandmother that made it so the story doesn't get lost.  A museum would be a great way to share your family talent with others.  Thanks so much for sharing it with us.

Debera Floyd wrote re: "Antique Star Quilt" from Althea
on Wednesday, 8 July 2009, 10:16 PM

My sister came to spend 2 weeks with me, while here I showed her some quilting steps and techniques. One of the things I kept telling her was to let the quilt talk to her. I always feel my quilts have a life of thier own, when I'm choosing the fabric, colors, styles, placements, etc. I say they are talking to me. Ohhh I just wish I could hear this quilt talking what wonderful stories it would tell of women in a time gone by to the woman of today. If I had anything of my ancestory from that far back I would be thrilled but a quilt oh how wonderful for you that these women thought to perserve this. I can see that you have the same mentally I was recently told we need only look back long enough to see where to go. May this beautiful quilt give you the confort it was intended to give as you make a decision on what to do.

Debera

Stephanie wrote re: "Antique Star Quilt" from Althea
on Wednesday, 22 July 2009, 10:15 PM

What a treasure and a labor of love that went into the making of this quilt and to think it has been so well preserved by all family members. It's amazing to see her color choices. They would be even popular today. Truly a museum worthy piece.Thanks for sharing.

Spudgrandma wrote re: "Antique Star Quilt" from Althea
on Wednesday, 22 July 2009, 10:57 PM

Althea,

That is so great that you have so much info on the quilt and the family history. So often that is lost to the following generations.

Thea wrote re: "Antique Star Quilt" from Althea
on Thursday, 23 July 2009, 11:23 AM

I have been doing some more geneaology - I get the bug every once in a while to find out another generation of my relatives... Anyway, I have a correction - My GGGGrandmother's maiden name was spelled Wetherston.  I found the document that listed her Mother and Father... living in Scotland.  Everything else is still correct - I am in the process of researching all her children and grandchildren to trace their steps.  As far as I know, the only one that came to the US was my GGGrandfather but I may find more.

I treasure this quilt - to know that I had relatives that quilted is a warm comfort to me - And that this one was passed down is fantastic - I wish I knew the rest of the story as to why it was never finished - but maybe some day I will know - who knows???  Maybe she gave it to my Great Grandmother to finish and she never had the time... I know they knew my Mother was a seamsstress but she wasn't a quilter... so maybe it just some how knew it was going to be passed down to me...

Yes - you all know it now  - I am insane...lol  I do believe that these quilts have minds of their own... they go where they will be treasured - at least the lucky ones do and this is a very LUCKY quilt.

God bless and warm quilty hugs,

Althea