"Vacation with friends" from Linda Lou

In December 2007, Ritchie and I took a trip to the British Virgin Islands with our sailing buddies Joe and Jewel.  We boarded a catamaran for a week of sailing.  What a fabulous trip we had.  As a result, I decided to make a quilt using photo's of our trip and incorporated photo's of their sailing vessel as a Christmas gift to some really wonderful friends.  What I began as a lap quilt, soon turned into a queen size quilt.   I started with the medallion, and moved out from there.  I started out with ½ dozen photo's which quickly grew to 20 photo's.   I know it is not show quality, but they love it and I enjoyed making a quilt of my own design (mostly). I also did all of the quilting on my home sewing machine. They were SO surprised by the gift we were all in tears.  They love it so much that they have decided to hang the quilt rather than use in on the boat.

Quilt design or pattern:  No particular design was used for the quilt. The center medallion is of the Elissa (1877), currently berthed in Galveston, TX and a design in the Sue Garmen "Ladies of the Sea" quilt pattern series of  12 tall ships.   Sue designs, teaches, and works out of Quakertown Quilts in Friendswood, Tx.

Comments

Kathy Patterson wrote re: "Vacation with friends" from Linda Lou
on Monday, 22 June 2009, 8:30 AM

What a great way to remember a fabulous vacation!  Every time your friends look at the quilt, I'm sure the feel the closeness of ya'll's friendship.  The quilt is wonderful and you did a great job.  Thanks for sharing.

kp

Joyce Brenden wrote re: "Vacation with friends" from Linda Lou
on Monday, 22 June 2009, 11:31 AM

Your photo quilt is fabulous.  What a wonderful keepsake.  Thanks for letting us see it.

Judy Iliff wrote re: "Vacation with friends" from Linda Lou
on Monday, 22 June 2009, 5:22 PM

What a great quilt - and a super gift! I'll bet your friends were thrilled!

Kris wrote re: "Vacation with friends" from Linda Lou
on Tuesday, 23 June 2009, 4:44 PM

Thanks for sharing Linda, it's beautiful.

Linda Lou wrote re: "Vacation with friends" from Linda Lou
on Tuesday, 23 June 2009, 9:22 PM

Thanks to all of you for the kind words.  These are very special friends and I loved making this quilt

tladams123@cox.net wrote re: "Vacation with friends" from Linda Lou
on Thursday, 25 June 2009, 8:58 PM

Perfect quilt what sounds like a perfect trip with friends. They are lucky to have such a talented quilter as a friend.

Corlissd wrote re: "Vacation with friends" from Linda Lou
on Friday, 26 June 2009, 9:55 PM

Terrific idea & I really like the way the photos were used - not too big or small , just right!

Marge Campbell wrote re: "Vacation with friends" from Linda Lou
on Sunday, 28 June 2009, 8:31 PM

I love the way you incorporated the photos into this quilt!  Very nice job!  What medium did you use for the photo squares?  I usually use BJSet2000, but with my color laser printer, I am finding I can use plain fabric as long as I heat set the toner once printed.

Marge

Linda Lou wrote re: "Vacation with friends" from Linda Lou
on Wednesday, 8 July 2009, 11:02 AM

Marge, I apologize for the long delay in getting an answer to you.   I have a Canon IP4500 ink jet printer designed for printing photo's as well as regular printing.  It has it's own print program making it very simple to use.  I used the June Taylor Colorfast sew-in inkjet fabric sheets for this particular project.  I have also used the EQ Printables fabric sheets.  The EQ Printables fabric is more light weight than I wanted for this quilt, but they both work very well.  Just follow the directions on the back of the package.

Marge Campbell wrote re: "Vacation with friends" from Linda Lou
on Saturday, 11 July 2009, 11:22 AM

The quilt is wonderful.  I do use BJSet2000 that I get from Dharma Trading

I have bought their muslin in the medium weight, it works really well with BJSet2000 & the BjSet Rinse.

Since I use my laser printer to print with now, I do heat set before I rinse in BJSet rinse.  The BJSet2000 says to wait 1/2 hour and rinse in the BJSet Rinse in warm water... I follow that with great results when doing a quick label on my HP PSC2355 inkjet printer...but feel I need to heat set the laser toner further than what the printer does.  This imbeds the toner in the fabric.  I don't really need the BJSet2000...but want to make sure the toner does not fade after 4 washes (I tested for 4 washes in regular load of laundry, and had very little change in color).

I use PrintShop23 to make my photo pages,  but I first do all my actual photo adjustments in Jasc  Paint Shop Pro 11.   I have replaced missing teeth, replaced missing part of old photos, etc.  I also use PSPro to replace backgrounds...take out a sofa & wall ...put the person in a professional looking background.  It's a great program.

Stephanie wrote re: "Vacation with friends" from Linda Lou
on Wednesday, 22 July 2009, 10:25 PM

What a fun way to remember a vacation!

Spudgrandma wrote re: "Vacation with friends" from Linda Lou
on Wednesday, 22 July 2009, 10:54 PM

Linda Lou,

What a beautiful quilt and what a great friend you are.  Your friends can remember the trip every time they look at the quilt, how cool is that?

Thea wrote re: "Vacation with friends" from Linda Lou
on Sunday, 9 August 2009, 10:51 AM

Linda, what a special person you are to make such a wonderful gift for what sounds like great friends.  thank you for sharing your story and your beautiful quilt with us.  I am in awe...

God bless,