"Hearts & Dales" from Kathy Patterson

The pattern for this quilt was in a Fons & Porter's magazine as a wall hanging featuring sheep. I make quilts for Airedale Rescue for fundraising. When I saw the wall hanging, I knew I wanted to enlarge the pattern to quilt size and replace the sheep with Airedales. I named this quilt 'Hearts & Dales'. I'm having a hard time deciding if I will donate this quilt though.  I sure want to keep it.

Comments

Juli wrote re: "Hearts & Dales" from Kathy Patterson
on Wednesday, 17 June 2009, 3:06 PM

It's a great looking quilt.  I can see why you would want to keep it and it was probably very time consuming.  Your Airedales are adorable and I especially like the center block with the view of the pup looking back.  Thanks for sharing this with us all.

Cindy wrote re: "Hearts & Dales" from Kathy Patterson
on Wednesday, 17 June 2009, 3:57 PM

Its a great quilt how about this for the keep or donate question .Why not keep and donate monies to them instead or make another copy of this quilt for yourself and donate this one to them.

Kathy Patterson wrote re: "Hearts & Dales" from Kathy Patterson
on Wednesday, 17 June 2009, 4:25 PM

Cindy,

I have donated five quilts already.  I'm sure that I will be donating others, as well.  I don't think I will ever make this quilt again.  I may just look at this one for a while and then donate it.  I make lots of stuff Airedale Rescue.  I have two Airedales, one came from rescue.  I have fostered many 'dales also.

Thanks for looking.

Joyce K. wrote re: "Hearts & Dales" from Kathy Patterson
on Wednesday, 17 June 2009, 8:07 PM

Kathy, your quilt is simply stunning. I love the Airedales. How did you apply them to the block? I also love the scalloped border. Your eye in how you blended everything is incredible. I can only hope to aspire to create something like this one day. I know the feeling though of creating something intended to give it away but when you're done, the thought of parting with it is just unbearable. Since you enlarged the pattern to quilt size, you could go back to the original pattern and do a wall hanging. That way you'd have a smaller version of the Airedales in which you could enjoy and it would be a visual reminder of the quilt you donated. The rescue organization would be drooling (lol..pardon the pun) to have the quilt.

Joyce K. wrote re: "Hearts & Dales" from Kathy Patterson
on Wednesday, 17 June 2009, 8:18 PM

Ok, I'm trying to add a comment for the third time now....the first time I accidentally hit something on my keyboard, and...poof...(or should I say woof?) it disappeared. The second time, I typed my comments, clicked the "add comment" button and again, woof, nothing. So, this is my third attempt to try and tell you what a stunning quilt you've created. I love how everything blends so nicely....I can only aspire to create something like this one day. I know the feeling though of creating something intended as a gift and the thought of parting with it is just unbearable. But the benefit to the rescue organization would be so worth it. You could make the original wall hanging and that would give you a version of the Airedales to enjoy for yourself while donating the quilt. You know they would drool (pardon the pun..lol) over it.

Joyce K. wrote re: "Hearts & Dales" from Kathy Patterson
on Wednesday, 17 June 2009, 8:21 PM

Sorry, I was too impatient. I didn't see my comment right away so I thought something happened. I finally saw the note at the top of the screen telling me to be patient if my post didn't appear right away. Sorry for the double posting.

gini wrote re: "Hearts & Dales" from Kathy Patterson
on Wednesday, 17 June 2009, 8:51 PM

what a fun quilt.  gini

Marge Campbell wrote re: "Hearts & Dales" from Kathy Patterson
on Wednesday, 17 June 2009, 11:05 PM

What a neat adaption to the quilt in the magazine!  I don't think I'd part with it either...hang it in your home to show support for the rescue operation.

Marge

Joyce Brenden wrote re: "Hearts & Dales" from Kathy Patterson
on Thursday, 18 June 2009, 12:36 AM

Kathy--

Was this adapted from the "I Wooly Love Ewe" pattern?  It's absolutely adorable.

Kathy Patterson wrote re: "Hearts & Dales" from Kathy Patterson
on Thursday, 18 June 2009, 8:00 AM

Joyce,

Yes, the pattern was 'I Wooly Love Ewe' and my version is Hearts & 'Dales.  When I post to 'Show & Tell', I couldn't remember the name of it.  I just remembered it was in Fons&Porter's magazine.

Kathy Patterson wrote re: "Hearts & Dales" from Kathy Patterson
on Thursday, 18 June 2009, 8:06 AM

Joyce K,

The Airedales are appliqued on.  Don't give me credit for the way the colors all blend together, I simply followed the pattern in the magazine.  I do not take credit for creating it.  The only thing I changed was the size and the sheep to Airedales.

Kris wrote re: "Hearts & Dales" from Kathy Patterson
on Thursday, 18 June 2009, 10:14 AM

That's a beautiful quilt. I don't blame you for wanting to keep it. You've really helped me out by posting this quilt too. My neighbour has one of those dogs and I've been wondering what kind of dog it is. I've seen them on TV but never knew. I'm not a dog person (scared of them) but this one is quite lovely.

Thanks for sharing Kathy.

Kris

Kathy Patterson wrote re: "Hearts & Dales" from Kathy Patterson
on Thursday, 18 June 2009, 10:56 AM

Oh Kris,

Remind me where you are from.  I'm sorry that you are scared of dogs.  Airedales are so intimidating maining because of their size and their big, bad bark.  I'm glad the one next to you is nice.  My Sam sounds like a fog horn when he barks and he barks at most anything.

Kris wrote re: "Hearts & Dales" from Kathy Patterson
on Thursday, 18 June 2009, 5:19 PM

Kathy,

I'm currently in Maine. As a child my cousins and I would walk to and from school each day. One day a dog ran out from someone's yard and bit one of my cousins in the face. I've been afraid of them ever since.

Tawnya wrote re: "Hearts & Dales" from Kathy Patterson
on Friday, 19 June 2009, 10:47 AM

You did a wonderful job of making the quilt your own.  I like the dogs even better than sheep!

Thanks for sharing.

Sandy H. wrote re: "Hearts & Dales" from Kathy Patterson
on Friday, 19 June 2009, 11:59 AM

What a beautiful quilt Kathy.  Wouldn't this make a great pattern to use actual pictures of your special pets in place of the applique?  Hmmmm...looks like another project for the to-do list!  I love it.

Jutta wrote re: "Hearts & Dales" from Kathy Patterson
on Friday, 19 June 2009, 2:27 PM

Hi Kathy,

this is such a cute quilt. I love the dogies on it. I am working on the same but also incoroprate some redwork in the blocks. I haven't finished the handquilting yer, but a soon as I am done, I will share it with you.

Jutta, California

joyce wrote re: "Hearts & Dales" from Kathy Patterson
on Friday, 19 June 2009, 3:16 PM

Hi Kathy,

Love this quilt. I am a big dog lover. Right now I have a long hair dachshund. People raised minitures for show, but Luke was not minitue. Happens sometimes. I got him so that he would have a home. Smartest dog that I have ever had. Very loving.

les35sing@yahoo.com wrote re: "Hearts & Dales" from Kathy Patterson
on Friday, 19 June 2009, 4:33 PM

Kathy,

Beautiful work, and great colors -- eye popping !!

Lesley

Deb wrote re: "Hearts & Dales" from Kathy Patterson
on Friday, 19 June 2009, 7:01 PM

I just love your quilt.. being an airidale lover it is only suitable..also your cause is absolutely wonderful!! thanks for sharing

Kim wrote re: "Hearts & Dales" from Kathy Patterson
on Tuesday, 23 June 2009, 6:43 PM

How fun!!  My aunt & I are currently making the original sheep pattern listed in the magazine.  I love your variation.

Kathy Patterson wrote re: "Hearts & Dales" from Kathy Patterson
on Tuesday, 23 June 2009, 10:04 PM

Kim,

I can't wait to see your 'I Wooly Love Ewe' with the sheep.

Sherri wrote re: "Hearts & Dales" from Kathy Patterson
on Saturday, 27 June 2009, 9:02 AM

great looking quilt maybe I will try to make one with Jack Russell either appliqued or embroderied on it  thanks for sharing with us

Stephanie wrote re: "Hearts & Dales" from Kathy Patterson
on Wednesday, 22 July 2009, 10:21 PM

Amazing color choices Kathy, and love the airedales and the fact that you did this for a fundraiser. What a wonderful thing to do.

Spudgrandma wrote re: "Hearts & Dales" from Kathy Patterson
on Wednesday, 22 July 2009, 10:54 PM

Love it Kathy, the little guy in the middle is so cute!

Scooter wrote re: "Hearts & Dales" from Kathy Patterson
on Saturday, 25 July 2009, 7:57 PM

Hi what a great quilt.  I was introduced to this bread and own one some 12 years ago. Sad to say we now pet free. We live in the city now and have no room or time to care for a pet.

Cheers

Thea wrote re: "Hearts & Dales" from Kathy Patterson
on Sunday, 9 August 2009, 10:56 AM

Kathy - I love your adaption to the wooly love ewe pattern - i love seeing new designs and how different people interpret different patterns the materiial that they use - this is a great tribute to your dog.  I own and used to breed white german shepherds.. My youngest, Abby, is such a treat - I grew up with poodles  - my Mom rose up in the dog world writing books about Llasa Apsos which were shown all over the world.  i thnk you made a great quilt here and I know if it was mine it would be very hard to part with - keep this one for yourself.. you can donate some others.

thank you for sharing your story and your quilt with us.  i am very grateful to be able to see this beautiful work.

God bless,