"A quilt for Kylee" from Tawnya Cleaver

I made this quilt for my niece Kylee Lynn Cleaver. She is the first girl born into my family for over 41 years. I was the last girl born until she came along. Truly thank heaven for little girls!!!

I tried to stitch activities we can do as she grows and included my two kitties in the quilt. It was a labor of love for this special little girl born March 13, 2009. I hope her mom washes it and washes it and that she has fun thinking up names and stories for her sun bonnet people. I made it to be used to pieces. I used fusible applique and then hand-stiched around every piece in matching thread. I estimate that each block took 8 hours. I used patterns for the people I'd found on the internet and in a book titled "The Ultimate Sunbonnet Sue Collection" by Leisure Arts. The setting is just a simple frame. The quilt is my second attempt at free-motion machine quilting. Once I got over the whole idea that I might do it the wrong way it was great fun. I found out that I LOVE free motion quilting. I'm "sewtmc" on the forums.

Comments

Kathy Patterson wrote re: "A quilt for Kylee" from Tawnya Cleaver
on Tuesday, 16 June 2009, 9:46 AM

Tawnya,

I just know Kylee is a special girl. I'm sure she will treasure her quilt.  I can picture the quilt 40 years from now tattered, but still treasured.

Kylee is a nice name.  I saw some name wall hangings somewhere.  I made one for my precious little girl that lives next to me.  Her name is Karsyn.  I love names that are different.  I just hate that the little girls don't get to buy personalized things.  You know, pick up things at the mall with their names on it.  That is way I made the wall hanging for Karsyn, so that she would have something personalized.  If you are interested in seeing a picture of Karsyn's name hanging, ................ I will submit a picture to the forum.

Thanks for sharing Kylee's Sunbonnet Sue.

Marge Campbell wrote re: "A quilt for Kylee" from Tawnya Cleaver
on Wednesday, 17 June 2009, 12:15 AM

What a wonderful keepsake!

Kris wrote re: "A quilt for Kylee" from Tawnya Cleaver
on Wednesday, 17 June 2009, 12:40 AM

Tawnya, you did a fantastic job on this quilt. I'm sure it will be loved to pieces.

Cindy wrote re: "A quilt for Kylee" from Tawnya Cleaver
on Wednesday, 17 June 2009, 4:04 PM

I just love sunbonnet sue quilts and cant wait to make one my self one day all I need is a little girl to make one for :)

Rosemarie Andrako wrote re: "A quilt for Kylee" from Tawnya Cleaver
on Thursday, 18 June 2009, 5:13 PM

I really Love this quilt! I would loved to have the pattern so I can make it for may grandchildern.

Joyce Brenden wrote re: "A quilt for Kylee" from Tawnya Cleaver
on Thursday, 18 June 2009, 8:53 PM

I just know Kylee is going to love her quilt!  It's truly adorable.

Tawnya wrote re: "A quilt for Kylee" from Tawnya Cleaver
on Friday, 19 June 2009, 11:00 AM

Andrako,

I used the Leisure Arts book called "the Sunbonnet Sue Primer"  I found it at Jo-Anns.  I also used sime patterns I found on the internet so some of the Sunbonnets won't be in the book.  Hope you enjoy making one for your grandchildren.

Tawnya wrote re: "A quilt for Kylee" from Tawnya Cleaver
on Friday, 19 June 2009, 11:04 AM

Andrako,

sorry I think I refered you to the wrong book in my previous post.  I didn't use the primer.  I used the Leisure Arts book called " the ultimate Sunbonnet Sue Collection.  I did get it at Joann fabrics though!  Again sorry about that.

Spudgrandma wrote re: "A quilt for Kylee" from Tawnya Cleaver
on Wednesday, 15 July 2009, 1:36 PM

I cannot believe I missed this, I love sunbonnet Sue.  You did an absolutely wonderful job on this.

T Lynn - SW Idaho

Thea wrote re: "A quilt for Kylee" from Tawnya Cleaver
on Thursday, 23 July 2009, 11:28 AM

Great quilt and a lucky little girl!  I am getting ready to start my first Sunbonnet Sue quilt for my Grand daughter.  I never used to like this pattern but now that my Grand daughter is 3 I guess it is about time that I make one - Yours is an inspiration to me - you did a great job!

God bless,