"Irish Chain Quilt" from Marge Campbell

I made this quilt for a customer, as an anniversary present to her parents (I blurred out the names). The photo was in very tattered condition, with missing sections & a tear that went up from bottom of picture to just above the brides hair. Part of her left eye was damaged.  I copied the right eye, flipped it & pasted it as a transparent overlay onto the old eye.  This let me resize & change the rotation to the exact size of the original eye in the photo.  After much cloning of missing areas, and adding a sepia effect, we had an acceptable photo for the middle block of this Single Irish Chain.

Since the customer only had one photo of her parents to use on the quilt, I decided it needed to be framed in some way.  I accomplished this by adding half square triangles to the 4 "corners" of the photo section. Customer didn't want clear thread on front, so I only quilted up to the photo, did a squiggle around the heart, and took up my Chantilly on the other side. I had added an extra layer of batting to keep the photo from sagging after washing.

The photo is printed using my color laser printer (HP CP3525n). I printed on muslin ironed onto freezer paper (no special treatment of the muslin). After printing, I leave the freezer paper in place, put a pressing sheet (or a piece of the paper backing saved from fusible web) over the photo & press (don't slide the iron, go up and down) hard with a hot iron. Once you have pressed, pull the freezer paper away from the back..just enough to check to see if you have any ink bled onto the freezer paper (there should be, if not, replace the paper and press again).   Since irons differ ( I have several)...I always do a test print to be sure I am getting the iron hot enough & letting it "set" (melt) the toner long enough. Works as well as BubbleJetSet200 and inkjet (which I sometimes use).

I love scrappy quilts, and love a good challenge quilt.

I provided a full view (before binding in red) & a close-up of the photo.(below)

Additional Details:

Quilt Name:  Irish Chain Quilt

Maker: Marge Campbell
Quilter: Marge Campbell
Photo Edited by: Marge Campbell
Size of quilt: 96 x 104" (aprox)
Panto: Chantilly Lace
Quilting Thread: 40 wt cotton, cream color.
Margie Campbell

Comments

Jodie Davis wrote re: "Irish Chain Quilt" from Marge Campbell
on Tuesday, 9 June 2009, 5:41 PM

Dear Marge,

This is a wonderful example of a fabric photo quilt. You did such a nice job of making it look like part fo the fabric and the quilt. It's a true heirloom!

~Jodie

P.S. And thanks for the instructions for the photo transfer. Do you mind if I make a video of it, giving you credit? I will NOT be offended if you say no.

Spudgrandma wrote re: "Irish Chain Quilt" from Marge Campbell
on Tuesday, 9 June 2009, 6:06 PM

What an absolute treasure that quilt will be for generations. I love the scrappy Irish chain...

Sandy H. wrote re: "Irish Chain Quilt" from Marge Campbell
on Tuesday, 9 June 2009, 6:17 PM

Margie,

What a beautiful quilt!  You've made a simple Irish Chain pattern into a work of art.  Great job.

Sandy

Happy wrote re: "Irish Chain Quilt" from Marge Campbell
on Tuesday, 9 June 2009, 7:50 PM

That is really nice about 2 years ago I made a quilt for my mother inlaw for her 70 birthday is has 6 kids and every one had a line they gave me three family picture to out in there line then it thr center it was her and her husband it turn out great Happy

Marge Campbell wrote re: "Irish Chain Quilt" from Marge Campbell
on Tuesday, 9 June 2009, 11:43 PM

Jodie: Feel free to use the quilt & the photo information.  I enjoy sharing what I know.  I've learned so much online & from others over the years.  Printing directly on fabric has been one of my most profitable ventures.

Marge

Marge Campbell wrote re: "Irish Chain Quilt" from Marge Campbell
on Tuesday, 9 June 2009, 11:43 PM

Marge

Marge Campbell wrote re: "Irish Chain Quilt" from Marge Campbell
on Tuesday, 9 June 2009, 11:55 PM

Thanks everyone.  I enjoy doing these customer projects.  I rarely say no to even the most daunting requests.  I like a good challenge & will take those jobs other quilter's usually won't even consider.  I do tell customer's up front that the project will be a challenge, and that it may  or may not come out as they want, but it will still be a treasure to them.

I just finished a quilt that came to me in a laundry basket & two large plastic trash bags.  The other quilter gave up after assembling the jeans into a queen size top.  Seems the customer decided that her hubby's clothes should be the top & jeans the backing.

I said, yes, could be done...won't be perfect..and they said..ok...then proceeded to tell me that they wanted just this 6" paint spatter patch from this shirt, these welding holes from this shirt, just a cuff from this shirt...

By the time we were through marking areas of shirts, sweats, jackets, a ball cap, etc... two hours had passed & I had a table full of items.  There was still a bag of clothing left..."Oh, just a patch or two from each.", was the answer to my asking if they wanted any of those items included.  Seems the hubby was a classic car restorer...every paint spatter, welding hole, logo, etc. had a memory for the mom & daughter.

I know why the other lady turned them down, telling them she had family matters that kept her from continuing.

Me...I said..if you let me have free reign, I'll figure it out.  Then the daugther was looking through my sample books..."Ooo...I like this quilt design."... Chantilly lace... I told her with the snaps & studs on the jeans...I'd have to freehand the design, and it would not be uniform... that was ok too.  Quilt is done, and looks really nice...even those paint spatters.

If I were doing this for the money...probably would have never even considered the project.  But the sound of happiness from the mom when she called to tell me she saw the quilt on my webshots & loved it...that's priceless!

Marge

Alison Gardner wrote re: "Irish Chain Quilt" from Marge Campbell
on Wednesday, 10 June 2009, 9:39 AM

Nice job I love all the work you did on the photo.  Oh yes thanks for sharing

Marge Campbell wrote re: "Irish Chain Quilt" from Marge Campbell
on Wednesday, 10 June 2009, 7:41 PM

Happy, that quilt sounds wonderful.. Do you have  a photo of it?  I'd love to see one.

Marge

Stephanie wrote re: "Irish Chain Quilt" from Marge Campbell
on Monday, 15 June 2009, 8:34 AM

Marge, what a special person you are. I read on down to the quilt made from hubby's clothes and I was so impressed that you took the time and patience to make this treasure for them. I  have a friend that lost a son and she was so beside herself over her loss that her sister took his clothes and made a quilt. Every year before Christmas the family has a big party and they hang the quilt in Alan's memory and collect toys from each guest for Toys for Tot's to give away in his name. Every fabric in that quilt holds a memory for her and  the efforts from people like yourself help keep those memories alive.

Marge Campbell wrote re: "Irish Chain Quilt" from Marge Campbell
on Monday, 15 June 2009, 8:36 PM

Thanks Stephanie...I am a softie when it comes to things like this quilt.  I saw they way this girl fondled her dad's stained shirts..talking about where every stain & hole came from..could tell she was really missing him (she was 12 when he passed).  Even if I had to hand tie, I was going to do my best to do her quilt.  I did tell her, when she picked the Chantilly lace panto..that I thought I would have to tie the quilt, but that if she didn't mind that the panto was not used & I could freehand the design, making changes where needed, I would do my best.  It really came out nice.

I try to give back & share what I have with others in need.  It's probably the main reason our used merchandise store was so popluar with the locals... we let them pay on time, we GAVE them a washer if they needed one...told them to use it till it died..lol... those were the bad looking ones...olive green, etc.  But they worked.

We don't have a lot, but we are not under any stress financially...we help the young families we see here in this community...and if one happens to see us working on a fence, etc., and they have a moment or three...they stop and help.  It's what I love about living here.

Marge

Darlene Cooper wrote re: "Irish Chain Quilt" from Marge Campbell
on Saturday, 20 June 2009, 3:10 PM

Beautiful job.  I love doing special requests for my customers.  When they see the finished product for the first time the look on their face is wonderful.

marilyn wrote re: "Irish Chain Quilt" from Marge Campbell
on Sunday, 21 June 2009, 1:17 PM

You did a very good job for all the fabric pieces to work with.  I'm sure the family is very happy with the quilt.  Sometimes a person does't know how to finish something, but it always seems that sometime comes to mind and it always looks good when finished.  Great Job.

mpspeedy wrote re: "Irish Chain Quilt" from Marge Campbell
on Sunday, 21 March 2010, 11:43 AM

Marge,

You are a quilter after my own heart.  Your use of the large squares in your single Irish chain makes me feel a lot better.  I truly admire the quilts made from sometimes thousands of tiny pieces but I just can not bring myself to even try.  I love the look of "colorwash" but would blow my brains out working on one.  Working with old photos is truly challenging.  After both of my parents died I made each of my brothers a wallhanging that included the wedding pictures of all of us and both sets of grandparents.  As the only daughter I am keeper of the family memories.  My grandparents on my father's side were a real challenge.  I actually had to crop my grandfather's image from a picture of he and his brother taken in 1900 in order to put him with my grandmother.  I am not sure how old her picture was but it is all brown.  They turned out surprisingly well.  My only other experience to date with photo transfering was in making three quilts for the children of a 9/11 victim.  I had his wife lend me photos of each child with their father.  I then had them photo transfered and used them in their  quilts. I also had her give send me some of his clothing that they would recognize to include it also.  I also made each of them a small pillow with a photo.

If I ever try to photo copy a damaged photo I will be calling on you for advice.

I was disappointed that I couldn't enlarge your posted photo.  You really did a wonderful job.