"Flying Home" from Mary Grubbs

I made this project from a "Block of the Month" design from Piece by Piece, a quilt shop in Appleton, WI.  I bought it all at one time, and brought it back to central Europe to piece.  Then I sent it back to MN to be longarm-quilted.  Because I wanted to use it on our bed, I enlarged the basic design by adding Flying Geese blocks to the width side.  This was a learning project in many ways, and a lot of fun, with several different techniques, not the least of which was learning to use the "Quilt in a Day," flying geese ruler--it worked great!  The flying geese in this quilt are 4" x 8".

Comments

joyce wrote re: "Flying Home" from Mary Grubbs
on Tuesday, 9 June 2009, 2:00 PM

When I viewed this quilt I said "wow". What a great idea to enlarge the quilt with the flying geese. They look as if they belong to the original pattern. Thanks for sharing.

Donna wrote re: "Flying Home" from Mary Grubbs
on Tuesday, 9 June 2009, 3:17 PM

Hi Mary

Your quilt is absolutely stunning!  I love the colors that you chose and you did an excellent job on it!  Thank you for sharing it!

Donna

Marge Campbell wrote re: "Flying Home" from Mary Grubbs
on Tuesday, 9 June 2009, 3:26 PM

I love these colors...and you matched the kit colors perfectly!  Very pretty.

Marge

Snowbird Quilter wrote re: "Flying Home" from Mary Grubbs
on Wednesday, 10 June 2009, 10:42 AM

Wow!  Normally I'm not into dark colors, but I love your quilt!  What a beautiful job you've done.  Adding the flying geese was a very bright idea.  Thanks for the Show and Tell.

Patty

Glenna wrote re: "Flying Home" from Mary Grubbs
on Wednesday, 10 June 2009, 11:04 AM

What a lovely quilt.  Your flying geese borders were a marvelous addition.  Congratulations on a beautiful quilt.

Kathy Patterson wrote re: "Flying Home" from Mary Grubbs
on Wednesday, 10 June 2009, 2:11 PM

Your quilt is beautiful.  I love flying geese but I hate to make them.

kp

Cindy wrote re: "Flying Home" from Mary Grubbs
on Thursday, 11 June 2009, 5:59 PM

This is simple wonderfull job and how creative to come up with a way to enlarge the quilt but keep within the theme great job

gini wrote re: "Flying Home" from Mary Grubbs
on Thursday, 11 June 2009, 10:36 PM

fun quilt. i love it   gini

Jutta wrote re: "Flying Home" from Mary Grubbs
on Friday, 12 June 2009, 12:09 AM

Wow, the border (golden color) brings out all the colors in the quilt. It's a beautiful quilt.

Stephanie wrote re: "Flying Home" from Mary Grubbs
on Monday, 15 June 2009, 8:49 AM

Love all the different patterns and fabrics if your quilt. Sometime making a large quilt can be so repitious. You've inspired me to mix things up a bit.

KMORTENSEN@DMBA.COM wrote re: "Flying Home" from Mary Grubbs
on Monday, 15 June 2009, 5:50 PM

What a beautiful quilt.  I'm impressed.