"Last Minute" from Debra Anger

Thought I would send a photo of a quilt pattern that saved the day. I had to make a signature quilt for someone that was having a reception in 2 weeks after they had seen the quilt that I had made for my mother's reception for all to sign. There were only 157 people and I made that many hearts. This reception was going to have 350 people so I had to come up with a pattern when my Love of Quilting mag came in the mail and I found the perfect pattern!! A full-page display of it on p. 68 - Antique Pinwheels!! It was perfect!!

The commissioned person wanted specific colors so the search was on and I was lucky at the many stores I went to I found what I was looking for. It was turquoise and browns, the colors have meaning for that year's officers and it was for a male person. My next step was to cut the fabric and get it ready for sewing..confidence in the pattern being correct was there cause I didn't even do a sample block but just went right to it. A full week of working full time and coming home to sew took place and I can see the results were coming along wonderfully but I was not going to be totally finished on time.

My mother came on the Friday..I told them that we were going to have fish and chips and then it was to  the machine. Mother helped sew what I had left to do. We sewed in long sections so that I had 4 sections put together. I ironed 4 long pieces of freezer paper to the back of each section for stability and for organization had a couple of big tables I could lay the pieces on so the guests could sign using Pigma Pens. This technique was very helpful. This way everyone signed the block and not into the 1/4 seam.

The quilt was a great success and the pattern was perfect. Someone else liked it so much I had a month to make another top and this was for over 500 guests. The next pattern was out of the Quilters Newletter July Aug 2008 edition I had a friend quilt anchors on this quilt as that was our symbol for that year the turquoise is what the men and women wore as their "party" outfits. The chocolate (brown) was the color of their escorts attire I was so lucky the colors matched their outfits so close. It will be a wonderful memory quilt for a dear person that made my parents have a wonderful year in their office. Fons and Porter, I would like to thank you for your versatile patterns. They can be used for many different occasions and the piecing turned out lovely!!

Oh the name of the quilt is just called "Last Minute."

Comments

Gloria wrote re: Last Minute from Debra Anger
on Wednesday, 27 May 2009, 6:53 PM

Deb. wow, the work that went into this... It is magnificient... I love the colors ... You did a subperb job!

Donna wrote re: Last Minute from Debra Anger
on Thursday, 28 May 2009, 9:30 AM

Deb, that is a gorgeous quilt!  Thank you for sharing it!  I absolutely love the colors, fantastic job!

Donna

mrquilt wrote re: Last Minute from Debra Anger
on Thursday, 28 May 2009, 10:54 AM

Deb, I just had to say, as well—this is great!

ljg635 wrote re: Last Minute from Debra Anger
on Friday, 29 May 2009, 3:13 PM

Amazing!  Your machine must still be smokin' from piecing it so quickly!

Snowbird Quilter wrote re: Last Minute from Debra Anger
on Sunday, 31 May 2009, 8:39 AM

Great Quilt!  Great Pattern!

Brother -- I can't imagine getting the fabric, cutting, placing, and sewing let alone finishing in two weeks.

Patty

Tawnya wrote re: Last Minute from Debra Anger
on Monday, 1 June 2009, 7:52 AM

What a great looking quilt.  I like the colors together.  You do fast work!!!

jauslamtemp wrote re: Last Minute from Debra Anger
on Wednesday, 3 June 2009, 1:35 AM

Beautiful quilt , excellent color choices and placement. Love it

Deb wrote re: Last Minute from Debra Anger
on Saturday, 6 June 2009, 6:27 AM

Thanks everyone.. Yes Snowbird I was under a itty bit of pressure.. I just got reeeeeeal lucky and visited about 5 quilt shops!! the material for the boarder and the little squares was my last find and I just couldn't believe how lucky I got that it matched so well.. the theme for last year was Anchors and Hydrangeas... I was very lucky on all accounts.. the turquoise fabric is Hydrangea's or so it is called.

Thanks for your great comments.. hoping to see more show and tell from others as well.. !!

Marge Campbell wrote re: Last Minute from Debra Anger
on Saturday, 6 June 2009, 2:49 PM

Very nice!!  Love the colors and layout.

joyce wrote re: "Last Minute" from Debra Anger
on Tuesday, 9 June 2009, 2:08 PM

congrats. It is a beautiful quilt.

Kathy Patterson wrote re: "Last Minute" from Debra Anger
on Wednesday, 10 June 2009, 2:14 PM

The quilt is lovely.  It would scare me to death to think I had to do something like that in two weeks.

kp

psdrpd@verizon.net wrote re: "Last Minute" from Debra Anger
on Saturday, 11 July 2009, 3:26 PM

I can not be lieve you were able to gather all the materials and got the project finished in such a short time.   MARGE D.

Aquabeauty wrote re: "Last Minute" from Debra Anger
on Sunday, 26 July 2009, 4:18 PM

Debra. how excited I was to see your quilt on QCA.  I have just joined this past week and wondered how many Canadians I would find here.  You were the first and to think I know you!  I am "Aunt Betty" from Olde Silver Thimble and it is always fun to see or hear of someone who used to frequent the shop or, in your case, teach at the shop.  Thanks for the peek at your lovely quilt.  I still remember your "stack and whack".

Betty (Oshawa, ON, CAN)

Spudgrandma wrote re: "Last Minute" from Debra Anger
on Sunday, 26 July 2009, 6:02 PM

Very nice Debra, I'm sure the recipient will enjoy it.