Westville Village Quilt

This quilt was found in a drawer in the living history town of Westville Village in south Georgia.

Comments

Quiltbird wrote re: Westville Village Quilt
on Friday, 1 May 2009, 7:52 AM

What a quilt! I was lucky enough to see it at Westville - Simplistic in design and color...screams lovely old-time elegance!  What a beauty! We are fortunate to have the Westville..such an interesting place filled with, as you so aptly said "living history'!

Janice wrote re: Westville Village Quilt
on Sunday, 24 May 2009, 10:52 AM

What a wonderful quilt.   I especially liked the colors used in it.  I had an old Star quilt made in a soft yellow and soft pinks that I gave to my  (ex) step-daughter in law.  I hope that she will pass it on to her daughter as a wedding gift, maybe.   I don't have many old quilts, having given them away to family members.  My older sister who is an avid quilter, gave me a top, or part of a top, made by my grandmother...it is a big star pattern made with little diamonds.  I am thinking I will attach it to a king-sized quilt top in blue sateen that I have.  It is really special.

Diane wrote re: Westville Village Quilt
on Friday, 29 May 2009, 7:29 PM

I love the colors in this quilt.  And the pattern is very unusual.  Do you have any idea the age of the quilt?  Do the patterns or colors give you any clue?  What a beautiful find!

Maggie wrote re: Westville Village Quilt
on Friday, 29 May 2009, 7:58 PM

I would've loved to had been there when "The Westville " was dicovered!  OH, but if that quilt could talk, what would it tell us?  The commitment and lovingly gentle hands that stitched this work of art, what could she teach us?!  You can tell by the frayed and worn corners that this "diamond" of a quilt was WELL loved in its day.  Its wonderful that "the Westville" has once again found love.  To see these fabrics reproduced and made into a pattern that resembles this gorgeous quilt, now THAT'D be something!

viola.laws wrote re: Westville Village Quilt
on Saturday, 6 June 2009, 12:19 PM

It is wonder to this quilt,  Today it is hard to find Heirloom quality Quilts,  The colors put it to the quilt of the time.

jlourob@verizon.net wrote re: Westville Village Quilt
on Saturday, 6 June 2009, 12:35 PM

This is a beautiful find. It would be wonderful to recreate this fantastic pattern. It definitely will require a lot of patience,  and time to find the appropriate fabrics, but it would all be worth it in the end.

Marilyn wrote re: Westville Village Quilt
on Saturday, 6 June 2009, 1:39 PM

This is a beautiful quilt.  I have a quilt from the Civil War era.  It's amazing how much the colors change over the years.

Cindy wrote re: Westville Village Quilt
on Saturday, 6 June 2009, 2:48 PM

I love the history of quilting and stitching. What i love even more are treasures such as this piece

Jodie Davis wrote re: Westville Village Quilt
on Sunday, 7 June 2009, 9:44 AM

Okay Mavis, let's spill the beans.

Our dream is to turn the Westville quilts (wait until you see the applique one--you may need smelling salts!) and turn them into $ for the village (westville.org.) I'd like to see a book of the designs and maybe a fabric line. And maybe just maybe we can do a segment or segments for Quilt Out Loud there. Not in the budget just yet, but dreams are just that and we WILL get there!

The town is a re-creation of an 1850's Georgia town, using buildings from the area. Proving that the South wasn't just Tara. They have a cotton gin and an ox-driven cotton baler that is essentially a huge wooden screw. Neat place! They do have a little quilt show in the fall.

Jayne & Mavis & I love the village and the people who run it. One of these days we'll make our dream come true for Westville. It's a gem more people need to know about!

Your enthusiasm for this quilt sparks my hopes that it'll happen. Thank you!

~Jodie

sueneutz@aol.com wrote re: Westville Village Quilt
on Thursday, 11 June 2009, 2:16 PM

Not only is this a quilt a rare and beautiful find but Jodies comment about the village has put it on this traveling quilters radar!  I enjoyed the antique quilts (as well as the not so antique ones) on display at the Sturbridge Museum in Essex Junction Vermont last year.  Next time we go south to visit (our youngest daughter) we will try to locate this treasure and visit.

BuckboardQuilts wrote re: Westville Village Quilt
on Monday, 15 June 2009, 9:58 PM

After selling antique quilts for 33 years, I'm always drawn to these 1800s quilts. This reminds me of an 1863 Civil War Rising Sun quilt with a fabulous heart-warming story I have on loan for my quilt trunk show programs titled "Under the Covers with Granny." You can see the photo on www.HeavenlyPatchwork.com under patriotic quilt contest, exhibits and programs. See 300 other antique quilt photos with fun stories on www.BuckboardQuilts.com

Thea wrote re: Westville Village Quilt
on Sunday, 9 August 2009, 12:53 AM

Wow Jodie - that quilt and your dreams are fantastic.  I just love history and finding dreams like this are just so wonderful.  I love old quilts and wish I could see more of them.  You are a very lucky woman and I hope this is one dream that comes true for you... knowing your drive I have a feeling it will come to pass!

thankyou very much for sharing this treasure with us and I can't wait to see the applique one!  I will see if Jay can set in some smelling salts for me!

God bless,

Althea

Spudgrandma wrote re: Westville Village Quilt
on Sunday, 9 August 2009, 1:00 AM

Jodie,

I will have to put that on my list of places to visit the next time I go to GA.  I had no idea it was there.

gini wrote re: Westville Village Quilt
on Sunday, 9 August 2009, 2:38 AM

great idea jodie,   i can see myself making this quilt. it would be nice to be able to get the fabrics for it    gini