dresden plate or fan quilt??? Or Family Tree

Okay I have a VERY ARTISTIC, VERY OPINIONATED,  older sister.  I want to show my first quilt in a show this year. I was thinking a dresden plate or a fan quilt. Mainly because I found fabric that I just LOVE.  My sister says they don't "look challenging enough and there is no way I would even come close to placing".  I will post pix as soon as I can. I can't figure out why the site won't let me post pix. It keeps telling me the site is down when I go to create my gallery so that is where I am at. on that. I think the dresden plate was a pain in the butt and if anyone who knows anything about quilting knows if you get the seems wrong on that one you really can not hide it too well.I don't know maybe I should do what she said and finish the family tree quilt and enter that.

Rachel

Published Sat, Mar 10 2012 11:56 AM by Rachel Kitchen

Comments

# re: dresden plate or fan quilt??? Or Family Tree@ Saturday, March 10, 2012 3:15 PM

rachel, what do you want to do?

by gini

# re: dresden plate or fan quilt??? Or Family Tree@ Saturday, March 10, 2012 5:17 PM

Not sure I want to have a great start the first quilt I show.

# re: dresden plate or fan quilt??? Or Family Tree@ Saturday, March 10, 2012 6:18 PM

You need to consider why you want to enter a quilt in a show. Judged shows offer opportunities to hear what you do well and what you can improve upon for future quilts. It sounds like your sister just thinks you should enter the quilt to win a ribbon. Few win the ribbons, but we all enjoy the quilts on display. If someone like you isn't willing to enter a quilt, we wouldn't have a show to attend. Pick a pattern you want to make and suits your skill level. Seek out a class or quilt guild that can offer assistance with the areas you are struggling in. Set goals to finish your quilt, so that you meet the deadlines for entering it. And, enjoy the process.

by Pamela

# re: dresden plate or fan quilt??? Or Family Tree@ Saturday, March 10, 2012 7:52 PM

Rachel ,I have never enterened a sho and have no desire to ,but I would do what makes you happy, .Making the quilt you want to do will give you the desire to do well and what if you don't win , anything ,the fact you did it is a winner in my book .Barbara

by Barbara

# re: dresden plate or fan quilt??? Or Family Tree@ Sunday, March 11, 2012 1:05 PM

Rachel, I like the answers you are getting! I pieced a grandmother's fan years ago.  LOL it is not quilted yet. It had flaws but I think it is beautiful and would not hesitate to enter it when finished for that reason. I agree... know why you are entering and do what YOU will enjoy in the process. I have played at quilting for years. So take my novice advice for what it is worth. But enjoy the process.  That is what I am learning as I have become more serious about quilting.. learning and applying and enjoying. That will be my motto. And letting others enjoy the spoils!

# re: dresden plate or fan quilt??? Or Family Tree@ Sunday, March 11, 2012 3:59 PM

Well the reason I have been thinking the dresden plate is I really need to work on my cruve piecing.  I know how hard a dresden plate can be. Not only is it piecing but it is also applique. Both of these things were knocked clean out of my head when I had my car accident and I want to see if I can at least be worthy of a show piece.  My sister doesn't sew. She thinks the dresden plate is too easy. So  I told her to make one. She just laughed.  She thinks I should to something like "thread painting" I know I am not at that level yet. Although I do have 2 quilts scetched out ready to go for when I want to try. I know I am a dreamer.

# re: dresden plate or fan quilt??? Or Family Tree@ Monday, March 12, 2012 9:16 PM

Rachel,

Don't give up those dreams. Just remember to have fun along the way. I can't wait to see what you come up with.

by dardar

# re: dresden plate or fan quilt??? Or Family Tree@ Friday, March 23, 2012 2:07 PM

Rachel,

I love how some of us are inspired by negative comments! At a party last fall my daughter told some people that I was a wannabe quilted. Boy did that start a fire in me to show her differently!

I immediately signed up for a class and started a baby quilt. Now I am learning so much. Someday maybe I will have to thank her for her comment and give her an amazing quilt ;)

Deb