I finished the MQ8 quilt top. I'm really happy with it. Lots of tiny pieces and way out of my comfort zone. But, I did it! I found fabric for the back and soon I'll get it quilted & bound.
In the meantime, I started on another top. This quilt has lots of HST's. Now, I've always done HST's by cutting squares, drawing the seam lines with a quarter inch wide ruler then cutting between the seams. Since there are so many in this quilt (360) I got the bright idea to use my Accuquilt Go! DH gifted me with the die for 2" finished HST multiples & I thought, what could be easier? Cut them out 60 at a time, no dogears. Just slap them together and go on one long chain stitch session to put them together. Sounds great, right? Not. Oh, the cutting went well. I learned awhile back that if you are really careful with the placement of the material, you can cut a lot of pieces really fast with very little waste. It was the sewing that got me. Having those dog ears cut off means that you start your 1/4 inch stitch on a bit of a point. Some of them were ok, but my machine definitely thought they were a delicacy! She munched those little points like crazy. Some of the pieces she swallowed whole, right down the throat plate. A lot of the others got munched on the leading edge and just kind of bunched up in that corner. Of course, trying to pull the fabric out of her throat resulted in a lot of frayed corners. I tried using a leader, which worked for the first one, but the rest was a crapshoot. I hate to say this, but I've gone to plan B. I have just enough of the one fabric to start over with cutting the squares. The second fabric was a no go for recutting. I had to replace it with another fabric choice. But I'm going to cut those squares, mark them, sew them & cut them in half. <sigh> Maybe I can use all those die cut HST's on a paper piecing project somewhere down the line. Or something. Hoarder that I am there's no way I'll throw them out.
Don't get me wrong, I love my Go! I use it a lot for cutting border & binding strips. If I happen to have the die for the size square I want, it works pretty good for that, too. But I think the HST die is going to the back of the rack.