April 2013 - Posts

Wow! I had a really great week! Last week I picked up my old New Home, Jenny, from DD1 to get me through until my poor sick Annie got back from the hospital. Well, I got Jenny all set up, plugged her in, and ... let's just say the sprit was willing, but the rest? Not so much. She had power, but was going nowhere. Noticing that I was working up a really good pout, DH stepped in and spent a couple of hours on her. Took her apart and cleaned her out, greased her up and talked sweet to her & she was working like a charm. So, I was able to finish up my strips for MQ8 then get them cut. I was ready to start the next step when the hospital called & said Annie was ready to come home! Joy! A whole week earlier than I expected, too. So after work on Friday I went to pick her up. Then, while I was standing at the counter to pay her bill, I noticed a beautiful little Featherweight sitting on the worktable back there... She had just been cleaned & tuned and looked gorgeous. Then the voices started. "You want me, don't you? C'mon, take me home. You know you want to..." Cosmetically, she was almost perfect. One little nick in the paint on the top. I think probably her foot pedal came dislodged while she was in her case & dropped on her. Works like a trooper. The case was in great shape, she had her original manual & everything! So, yes, I had to have her. She will be a great little cousin to the old treadle machine DD2 has & is waiting to restore. According to her serial number she was born in 1953. I was hoping for a '55, same vintage as me, but we can't have everything now, can we? So I went from being machineless a week ago to having 3! I think I'll name her Naomi.

Anyway, got step 3 done for MQ8 with time to spare & am eagerly awaiting the next one. Now, I've got some time to decide on my next project...


I've just been beside myself since my trusty machine, Annie, got sick and had to be sent to the hospital. Has it really been only 3 days? Seems like 3 weeks! I know we're only talking about quilting here, but believe it or not, I was truly bummed. I was all mopey and sad. Not exactly bored, I mean, there are always chores to do & I finally got our taxes done. But I wanted to work on my quilt! ( Sounds like I'm 12 and having a tantrum, doesn't it?) My sweet DD2 had offered me the use of her machine, but she uses hers on a regular basis, and since it will probably be a couple of weeks before I can get mine back I didn't want to deprive her. I mentioned to DH that I was seriously considering purchasing a simple, basic machine from Walmart. Not only would it get me through this, but it would be there as backup in the event that Annie gets sick again. Well, DH made  frowney faces at me when I said that. I was a bit peeved about that, but he redeemed himself. He reminded me that when I got Annie I had given my old machine to DD1 in hopes that she or one of the DGD's would take an interest. That was a vain hope. I don't think the case has been opened in the 10 years since I gave it to her. But, I gave her a call to see if she still had it, and if so, could I pick it up? Blessed be! She still has it! I'm going to pick it up this afternoon after work! This machine, Jenny is her name, is a New Home that I had purchased back in 1977. Hopefully, although I'm sure she could use a visit to the Dr for a clean & tune, she will still work well enough that I can use her to piece until Annie comes home. Then to show my appreciation for her help I'll send her in for a check up.

In case you're wondering, I've named my machines after the much loved (and much missed) women in my life who first taught me to sew and such. Jenny was named for my paternal grandmother. Annie is named for one of my aunts who was like a mother to me growing up.

So, if all goes well, tonight I can get back to work on MQ8 and not have to worry about getting behind.