April 2014 - Posts
I'm on target, completing my April BOM (block of the month) in the month of April. The pattern is Home in Ohio designed by Cyndi McChesney. Cyndi is a certified teacher through the National Quilting Association and this BOM is offered to members through the guild's website. All the patterns are stars that will form a quilt called Galaxy.
I am using reds from my stash to make the blocks, replacing the blues in the patterns. This particular star pattern is created from three different units and the instructions are written separately for each unit - log cabin variation for center block, four patches in corners, and quarter square triangle patches to make the star points. I made the mistake of stitching each unit together without looking ahead at what fabric would be needed in the next unit. Unfortunately, the last unit needed a 5-1/2" square of white fabric. Using many different white fat quarters and scraps and cutting each width as a strip, I did not leave a insufficient width of fabric left to cut the square. I could have cut the larger square first and would have had enough fabric to cut out the smaller pieces.
- Home in Ohio Star
Anymore, I tend to skim the reading material and look at the illustrations, sometimes missing important information in the pattern. I also work sequentially, so I proceeded through the pattern in the order given. The adage to read a pattern through first really is important. I can say that I did read it when I initially printed the pattern, but should have also read it through a second time before I began. You probably can see, I also should have chosen a few more reds for the pattern to provide more contrast in the design. One of the fabrics in the center log cabin touches itself in the surrounding star units, giving a different look than intended for the block. But I'm not planning on doing an "unsewing" with this quilt.
I still like how the block looks. I continue to mix into the blocks from the six reds I pulled from my stash. This particular block allows you to see the value of each fabric as they are positioned next to the others, so I can see that my dark, medium and light selections show up as designed. I may need to pull a few more pieces from my stash to ensure future blocks maintain the integrity of the design. In just over a week, I will be able to download the next BOM pattern.
Until then...Happy Stitching!
I took the day off from work today to sew with my sister. We finished adding the borders to our Dresdan Zoo baby quilt for our niece and her new baby daughter. You can follow along with the construction of this quilt in earlier posts HERE, HERE and HERE. We chose to add sashing between and around the outside of the blocks. This added six inches to the quilt dimensions, so the border strips needed to be longer than a WOF (width of fabric). Rather than adding a seam allowance to each border strip, we decided to add corner squares. We chose a light green, so as not to compete with the Dresdans. Next up, FMQ. Here's a look at the finished quilt top.
- Dresdan Zoo baby quilt top
We spent the remainder of the day selecting fabrics for another baby quilt. My sister's son is the next family member expecting a baby. He will be a new father later this summer. We have selected a bow tie quilt pattern featured in Quilter's World Summer 2014. The scrappy pattern uses 64 different fabrics, so we spent quite a bit of time searching through both our stashes; sorting and re-sorting fabrics to ensure a variety of tints and shades.
Here are a few more pics of the finished quilt top.
- Corner of quilt
- Crocodile center block
- Giraffe in left corner
- Side border with zebra
- Finished baby quilt top
I finished out my Friday off work by stitching up my NQA April BOM (block of the month). But more about that in another post.
I know, I know, it's April. But, I was only just able to finish the March Block of the Month (BOM) for my Galaxy quilt. The patterns are for members only of the National Quilting Association. This month's block utilized two different techniques - handwork and machine applique. The star points utilized a stitch and turn technique that formed the star points, while the center is a hexagon constructed using a paper template. The pattern was published by Andover Fabrics, who granted permission to the NQA to use it in the quilt. I chose to machine applique the star using a blanket stitch. I hand appliqued the center, but added a blanket stitch for appearances. The block construction is taught by certified teacher, Ruth Ann Johnson, of West Virginia.
This month's star block pattern is the Savery Friendship Star. The original quilt was made by Elizabeth Hooten (Cresson) Savery and friends in Philadelphia, PA in and dated 1844. The quilt measures 83-1/4 X 80 inches. The quilt was made of cotton and linen fabrics using the English template method, and the center hexagons were inked with signatures and drawings. The quilt was gifted to the American Folk Art Museum by Marie D. and Charles A. T. O'Neill. You can read more about the quilt and other Quaker quilts HERE. I'm considering adding my signature to the center hexagon.
The block was fun to make and a change of pace from the sewing activities of late. You may have noticed my recent post about prayer cloths. I continued making more of these, along with two cotton skirts for my sister to wear on her mission's trip. She departed on Thursday to catch a flight in Chicago and has been in Haiti since last night. So, now I am back to my regular sewing projects. This afternoon, I hope to baste my SewBatik challenge quilt and begin the FMQ. I choose not to provide any pics of this project, since it will be entered into the NQA challenge later in May. At that time, I will reveal my final project, the results of which I am very pleased.
Hope that you find time to do something quilty today. Happy Stitching!