The Mid-Michigan Quilters' Guild is completing another education project for the Mt. Pleasant Discovery Museum. The newest project involves members making a quilt for every letter of the alphabet. Last Spring, I received the packet for the letter "P" and began planning the quilt design. When I chose the letter, I had a pig in mind and, since pink and purple both start with the letter "P", I also decided to use fabrics in these colors throughout the quilt. I have lots of polka dot fabrics and used many of them, as well.
I wanted to make the quilt fun for young children and began planning ways to embellish the quilt. I downloaded pictures of pigs from the internet and played with them until I came up with the right design. The pig was fused and machine raw-edge appliqued. The parasol, not an umbrella, seemed like a fun idea, with a yo-yo and button for the tip. The pansies and leaves are fussy cut from fabric after attaching it to a fusible. In this quilt, I chose Steam-a-Seam Lite. Prairie points became the suns rays. I decided that my pig was prancing among the pansies, so I had to add the tutu. The ric-rac as a border trim was a recent addition. As well, I changed the binding fabric, choosing to use a darker pink to frame the quilt. The FMQ was completed on my domestic machine using 50 wt. thread; an Aurifil in a light grey color on the background and a varigated Mettler in orange/yellow for the sun.
The only stipulations for the quilt were the 18"X20" finished size, the font and size of the alpha letter, and the addition of the letter button, provided with the kit. The backing fabric and batting were also provided. I finished my quilt in time to present it at the guild meeting last night. The quilts will be hung as a grouping at the museum. A label will provide information about each quilter and their quiling history.
A Pink Polka dot Pig Prancing among the Purple Pansies with a Parasol.
Designing quilts is a lot of fun. Our guild's education projects are funded by the guild's quilt raffle. The last education project was also for the musuem, while our first education project involved making ISpy or Picture Play quilts for local libraries. I can't wait to find out what the next education project will be.