October 2012 - Posts
The second annual Michigan Quilt Network Showcase retreat was another success, this past week-end. I was responsible, again, for fundraising efforts. Whereas, last year we made Silent Auction Baskets; this year featured a Bee-tique. What's a Bee-tique, you say? Well, our theme engaged the word "be" throughout, so a "bee" seemed the logical choice for decoration. The Bee-tique evolved from our annual Garage Sale to a more upscale boutique. Items were packaged and marked in advance, with stylish merchandising. Check out some of the displays.
Some quilters made "bee" themed pincusions, button jars, and other items to sell. Other items included bags, wall-hangings, fabric bundles, and guild logo merchandise.
Books, patterns, fabric, and notions were orgnaized into baskets and tins, priced to sell. No more bidding; just purchase the item for a bargain price.
All the items for the Bee-tique are donated. Our guild made over $750 from the sales. I would say it was a success.
The Mid-Michigan Quilters' Guild is completing another education project for the Mt. Pleasant Discovery Museum. The newest project involves members making a quilt for every letter of the alphabet. Last Spring, I received the packet for the letter "P" and began planning the quilt design. When I chose the letter, I had a pig in mind and, since pink and purple both start with the letter "P", I also decided to use fabrics in these colors throughout the quilt. I have lots of polka dot fabrics and used many of them, as well.
I wanted to make the quilt fun for young children and began planning ways to embellish the quilt. I downloaded pictures of pigs from the internet and played with them until I came up with the right design. The pig was fused and machine raw-edge appliqued. The parasol, not an umbrella, seemed like a fun idea, with a yo-yo and button for the tip. The pansies and leaves are fussy cut from fabric after attaching it to a fusible. In this quilt, I chose Steam-a-Seam Lite. Prairie points became the suns rays. I decided that my pig was prancing among the pansies, so I had to add the tutu. The ric-rac as a border trim was a recent addition. As well, I changed the binding fabric, choosing to use a darker pink to frame the quilt. The FMQ was completed on my domestic machine using 50 wt. thread; an Aurifil in a light grey color on the background and a varigated Mettler in orange/yellow for the sun.
The only stipulations for the quilt were the 18"X20" finished size, the font and size of the alpha letter, and the addition of the letter button, provided with the kit. The backing fabric and batting were also provided. I finished my quilt in time to present it at the guild meeting last night. The quilts will be hung as a grouping at the museum. A label will provide information about each quilter and their quiling history.
A Pink Polka dot Pig Prancing among the Purple Pansies with a Parasol.
Designing quilts is a lot of fun. Our guild's education projects are funded by the guild's quilt raffle. The last education project was also for the musuem, while our first education project involved making ISpy or Picture Play quilts for local libraries. I can't wait to find out what the next education project will be.
Another QCA member is making a Stack-n-Whack quilt and it reminded me of the three quilts that I had made years ago. Magic Stack-n-Whack Quilts by Bethany Reynolds, was published by American Quilter's Society in 1998. I made my first quilt in a class at a LQS. I purchased a large fish print with a teal background and lots of reds, oranges, yellows and greens in the fish. I chose the Half-Square Triangle pattern and used a Moda marble in blue for the background. It was so much fun discovering what the blocks would look like as they were stitched together. I still use it on my bed in the winter.
I made another quilt for my niece for her granduation. Then, I made a quilt for my in-laws for Christmas. It used an outdoorsy fabric with deer, bear, mountain goats, wolves, and other wildlife. I used a mottled tan fabric for the background. Of the three quilts, this is the only one that I took a digital photo. The quilt was displayed at a show by the Alma Kiltie Quilters during the city's sesquicentenniel celebration. The quilts were draped over chairs placed on tables. The fabric for the blocks is used in the border, so you can see what the fabric looked like before it was cut up for the Kaleidoscope design. The pattern is the 60 degree Diamond from the book.
If you haven't made a Stack-n-Whack quilt, check it out. The process is easy to follow and the blocks are fun to make. I still have fabric I purchased to make two more quilts. I'll have to make them someday soon for my grandchildren.
What did you do last week-end? I sewed together a few blocks for a baby quilt. My nephew is expecting his first child. My sisters and I thought that we would make a baby quilt for him and his wife. We picked an applique quilt that has baby animals on it and are making the blocks from different fabrics. Kinda like one of those board books with animals that has cutouts with fur for the baby to touch.
Saturday, my oldest sister and I made several of the dozen blocks. My pink pig is made from minky fabric. My brown bunny has a pink velvet ear and a fake fur bunny tail. The owl is made with a feather fabric and has felted wool for it's eyes and claws, along with a corduroy tree branch. Lastly, I made a raggy piece of fabric from yellow flannel and cut out my duckling. His wings are attached, so that they are moveable.
My sister made a goldfish from gold lame. The fins are moveable like the duckling. She also made a lady bug from red silky fabric with velvet spots and started a butterfly from a multi-colored batik with a purple velvet body. You'll have to wait until the quilt is finished to see her blocks and the other five baby animals we are making, since I didn't get a snapshot of her blocks.
Hope you enjoyed your week-end.