Happy Independence Day, Everyone! God Bless America!!
With the holiday midweek, I had to work today. But, I did not have to work on Monday. Neither did either of my sisters, so we made it into another Sister's Sewing Day! We've been doing these sewing days for a couple of years, but they are becoming more frequent. Maybe because our children are grown and we have more time to sew. We set our sewing machines up at my youngest sister's house. Since we all live within five blocks of each other, we take turns rotating at each other's house. We each provide something for lunch. My youngest sister planned fruit smoothies, which were refreshing.
I always take far more projects with me than I can accomplish. I chose to work on parts of four projects, but only completed two. First, I stitched six-inch pinwheel patches into 12-inch blocks. These are part of the Hungry Catepillar quilt that I am making for my new grandson. The next step is to applique my fruit blocks. I have five blocks that represent each of the five fruits that the catepillar eats through in the storybook. I am putting one apple with the number one on a block, two pears with a number two on another block, and so forth. This is a quilt that I designed, that follows the story using the Hungry Catepillar fabrics, along with a panel that my daughter purchased a few years ago at the Eric Carle Museum of Picture Book Art in Amherst, Massachusetts.
The second part of a project, was to put together the alternate blocks from my guilds Applique Hearts quilt. I finished the last block, the Hawaiian applique block, and re-did the Shadow Applique block. Here is a peek at the Hawaiian applique block. Most of my alternate blocks were altered from the original patterns. I created this heart design, with flowing curves rather than waves with points in the first block.
Then, I stitched the blocks together, adding a five-and-a-half inch mitered border.
This is the finished top. The background is a black flannel, which wanted to stretch. Check out previous posts that tell the story of creating each monthly heart block at my MMQG Applique Club, over the last nine months. Each block used a different hand applique technique. Now, I have to make my vine and add the leaves and berries. The vine will be a bias tube, likely in a shade of brown/tan. I prefer to use Gwen Marston's technique for making bias. Check it out in any of her recent books. The leaves and berries will be made from more of the wool felt, homespuns and flannels used to make the blocks.
Stitching with my sisters is always fun. We catch up on what's happening in each other's lives, reminisce about our childhood, and plan ideas for the future.
I sure wish it would rain! Enjoy!
Filed under: Gwen Marston, wool, folk-art, sisters, MMQG, flannel, grandchildren, sewing project, Hungry Catepillar, holiday, Hawaiian applique