Modern Sunbonnet Sue's Musings

Musings from the mind of a modern day Sue:
Between Christmas & New Year's

I hope & pray that everyone enjoyed their Christmas. This year was the best Christmas in recent years. I was able to enjoy family and activities without the usual stress. I owe this to my new job that began last year at this time. Working for the State of Michigan has it's perks with holidays off and not the usual scramble to catch up work before and after the time off.

I finished a couple more Zippy Stripy bags for gifts.

I also made a wool stocking for my granddaughter. I used a pattern meant for embroidery and used the shapes to cut out the wool pieces. I also added additional shapes and attached everything with a variety of embroidery stitches. I chose pink and purple for the main colors and mixed in a variety of other wools that I had on hand. I used a butterfly embroidery pattern and interpreted it in the wool, as well.

I really enjoyed the process of making this stocking. I just started putting together the pieces and added more wool pieces as I went along. The creative process can be so freeing. If you haven't stepped out of the box of using a pattern or kit, give it a try. Just use a pattern as the starting point. If you can't visualize your idea, sketch it out first. Start with something small and try out different fabrics until you get the results you are looking for.

Christmas is over and 2012 is just around the corner. I will be spending my time at the hospital having surgery to remove my left thyroid gland, followed by recouperating at home for the first week of the year. Please pray for the doctors, a successful surgery, and tests that show no cancer.

Happy New Year!

Published Tue, Dec 27 2011 9:24 PM by Pamela

Comments

# re: Between Christmas & New Year's@ Tuesday, December 27, 2011 11:19 PM

Pam, will be praying for you and for good test results. Loved the Christmas stocking!

Linda

Linda

# re: Between Christmas & New Year's@ Wednesday, December 28, 2011 2:01 AM

good luck and prayers for you on surgery, i went thru it about 14 years ago and had the cancer, you will come thru it just fine, keep the faith.really like the stocking

Janelle

Janelle

# re: Between Christmas & New Year's@ Wednesday, December 28, 2011 11:38 AM

So cute I will have to start to look at ones for when I get grand kids

Happy

# re: Between Christmas & New Year's@ Wednesday, December 28, 2011 11:38 AM

So cute I will have to start to look at ones for when I get grand kids

Happy

# re: Between Christmas & New Year's@ Wednesday, December 28, 2011 12:23 PM

My prayers go out to you and all the doctors nurses and the hospital staff taking care of you.    I love the stocking.

Debbie H.

# re: Between Christmas & New Year's@ Wednesday, December 28, 2011 9:10 PM

Hi Pam,

I just know that the good Lord will guide the surgeon's hand and you will make through it fine.  The stocking is adorable.  Your granddaughter must have loved it!

Linda E.

lyndee

# re: Between Christmas & New Year's@ Wednesday, December 28, 2011 10:10 PM

What a fun Christmas stocking!  Your granddaughter is lucky to have such a creative grandmother.

-Traci

Traci

# re: Between Christmas & New Year's@ Friday, December 30, 2011 6:21 PM

Made it through the surgery and feeling good. Just a sore throat both inside and out. Thanks for all the prayers. I know that God had a hand in everything. Now for a week of recovery.

Pamela