Modern Sunbonnet Sue's Musings

Musings from the mind of a modern day Sue:
L'il Pumpkins Project Completed

Fall is my favorite time of year. Last week-end, my Sisters in Stitches & I got together to sew. One of the projects was stuffed, fabric pumpkins that my older sister organized for a group project. This week-end, we finished the pumpkins, so that we can each display them in our Fall decorations.

Here is my collection of pumpkins displayed on a table runner of Fall leaves that I made last year. The l'il pumpkins were such fun to make and very simple. My sister had cut out rectangles of several different orange fabrics. These were folded in half and stitched along two sides. The bottoms received boxed corners. The pumpkins were turned right side out and pellets added to the bottom to weight them before stuffing. Whole cloves were also placed in the bottom to scent them. After stuffing them, a running stitch was placed around the top edge, pulled tight, and tied around a cinnamon stick for a stem. Embroidery floss was wrapped around the body of the pumpkin and tied to create the ridges. Twisted floral wire and silk flowers were hot glued, along with the cinnamon stick. We each made five or six pumpkins, then exchanged with one another, so that we each had a pumpkin that the other sister had made.

We have already planned a sewing day in October and are planning another group project. Of course, we also each have Christmas projects and quilts that we are trying to finish, so the day will be filled with lots to do.

Published Sun, Sep 25 2011 8:21 PM by Pamela

Comments

# re: L'il Pumpkins Project Completed@ Sunday, September 25, 2011 8:34 PM

That looks very nice on the table, and I love the tablerunner!  Sounds nice to be able to do a project with your sister.  I especially like the checkered pumpkin.

greenmonstr

# re: L'il Pumpkins Project Completed@ Monday, September 26, 2011 3:58 PM

It's nice to hear of sisters doing things together.  Each year you can add something new to your holiday collections.  Love what you have done so far.  Keep it up!

logcabin49

# re: L'il Pumpkins Project Completed@ Monday, September 26, 2011 5:30 PM

These are adorable love them

Leslie

# re: L'il Pumpkins Project Completed@ Friday, September 30, 2011 11:46 AM

Very pretty!

scoobiep

# re: L'il Pumpkins Project Completed@ Sunday, October 2, 2011 7:37 PM

So cute.  I am definitely making some my family!

alliritter4

# re: L'il Pumpkins Project Completed@ Wednesday, October 12, 2011 4:32 PM

Those are adorable, could you possibly do a quick tutorial with a few pictures to guide us. I would love to do a Thanksgiving Swap if I had the pattern to share. Thanks, and again, they are just darling. So fun!

Jeanne

# re: L'il Pumpkins Project Completed@ Wednesday, October 12, 2011 7:40 PM

Very nice girls, good job!

Marie

# re: L'il Pumpkins Project Completed@ Wednesday, October 12, 2011 8:03 PM

Love them and can't wait to get started!!

Carol1967

# re: L'il Pumpkins Project Completed@ Tuesday, October 18, 2011 3:42 PM

For a Quick, Temporary pumpkin, Use a full roll of toilet tissue, wrapped in a square of batting. You set the roll in the center of appropriate fabric and bring up the sides, tucking the excess into the roller-hole. Finish with a cinnamon-stick stem and some silk leaves. It takes about 10 minutes, and can be "recycled" when fall is over.

Connie

Connie

# re: L'il Pumpkins Project Completed@ Tuesday, October 18, 2011 8:37 PM

Love the pumpkins. I have the same pattern but haven't gotten around to do it fabric all pressed but to much going on. So cute for fall. Sue

gingging10

# re: L'il Pumpkins Project Completed@ Thursday, October 20, 2011 1:22 PM

I appreciate all the comments. I'm overwhelmed with all the views & responses to this post. I'll have to see if my daughter can help me put a tutorial together. My computer is old and  doesn't have the ability to upload pictures, so she emails them to me to save & post.

Pamela