Modern Sunbonnet Sue's Musings

Musings from the mind of a modern day Sue:
More Heart Applique Blocks

I have completed the next two blocks in my Heart Applique Sampler quilt. The first technique is broderie perse, which I discusssed in my last blog post. I decided to use a different technique than the pattern suggested. I prefer to baste my applique shapes to freezer paper, kind of like doing English paper piecing. Then, after blind stitching the edges of the applique shape, I remove the basting stitches and pull out the freezer paper. This works well with leaf like shapes and I have been using the technique to make the honeybee portions of a quilt for my daughter. Shhh, she doesn't know anything about it.

Since the heart shape for the broderie perse block was a cut-out of the heart shape and was only about a third of an inch wide; I wasn't comfortable maintaining the shape while appliqueing it to the ground fabric. Using the freezer paper techinque proved easier. However, I made the mistake of adding fray check to the inside and outside points to minimize stray threads while appliqueing. When the fray check dried, it acted like glue and I had a difficult time removing the basting threads and the freezer paper. The appliqued flower fabric was from the same fabric used in the tip of the Stained Glass Heart block. Here is the finished block.

Block #6 - Broderie Perse Heart Applique

The next block was a Celtic knot design using a continuous bias strip. I again used the Gwen Marston technique for making bias. I have been using a variety of fabrics from my stash in bright colors for these blocks. I chose a Robert Kaufman Fusions fabric in green for this block. I had already used a mauve in the Stained Glass Heart block. I really like these fabrics and they can be purchased in every imaginable color. I haven't liked a fabric line this much since I fell in love with Moda Marbles by Patrick Lose back in the late 90's.

The block was simple to stitch, but I had to consider where the bias crossed and not stitch the edge where the strip needed to weave under later in the knot. This kept me threading needles, so that I had three needles stitching the shape at one point. I pressed the bias edge a few inches at a time to stretch and turn the bias into the necessary shape. Then, I pinned the bias strip for about an inch, with the pins lying across the top of the strip and attached to the ground on either side. This kept the strip in place to stitch without having to put a pin through the shape, which might distort the shape. Here is the finished block.

Block #4 - Celtic Knot Heart Applique Block.

Since these blocks will be used to demonstrate the techniques for the Applique Club I am starting with our local quilt guild, I am planning to make another set of blocks. In order to demonstrate how verstile the blocks can be, I am making the second set using fabrics that give it more of a primitive, folk-art look. The background fabric is black flannel. I am incorporating felted wool and homespuns into the blocks, but will also be using cotton fabrics. The colors are darker and more muted rather than the bright colors that I am currently using. Over the next week, I hope to finish a couple of these blocks.

Until then....Enjoy!

Published Sun, Sep 18 2011 8:49 PM by Pamela

Comments

# re: More Heart Applique Blocks@ Sunday, September 18, 2011 10:28 PM

if you ever do a celtic know again, here's a quick tip, so you only have one needle going.  when you get to a crossing, leave a gap by running your needle in the fold and coming out just beyond where the bias tape will go.  you and do all your stitching and when you get to a crossing you need to go under you just  push the tape through and keep stitching on the other side, making sure you stitch the bridges closed.

gini