Modern Sunbonnet Sue's Musings

Musings from the mind of a modern day Sue:
More of my Sewing Room

Every quilter has to have a sewing space. When I was first married, there wasn't any extra space, so the sewing machine only came out when I was making a project. I would power sew for a couple of weeks and the machine would be on one end of the dining room table. This made it impossible to eat a meal at the table, which my husband really disliked. Over the years, we moved to a bigger house and more space became available.

Since my girls left home, an entire extra bedroom was converted into my sewing space. Of course, we won't say how long they've been gone from home. I reorganized the space back in 2008 and added some book shelving and purchased storage areas. One of my favorite aspects of the room is the wooden cupboard in which I house my folded fabrics. The furniture was intended for holding shoes in a closet area, but I put two pieces together for a floor to ceiling rainbow of fabric storage space. My sister, who only recently got involved in making quilts, likes to come shopping in my sewing room when she needs just a little bit of fabric. Don't look too close, you may see some vintage fabrics. Uh oh, I'm telling my age again. And, the space keeps sprawling into the next room. The older I get, the more space I need to sew & quilt.

At least my husband cannot complain. The other extra bedroom was converted into a "man cave".

Published Wed, Aug 3 2011 6:10 PM by Pamela

Comments

# re: More of my Sewing Room@ Wednesday, August 3, 2011 5:41 PM

How do you manage to keep your folded fabric so neat? Mine looks like the cat was digging in it.

crabby maudie

# re: More of my Sewing Room@ Wednesday, August 3, 2011 11:27 PM

Gee wish I was this organized  Barbara

Barbara

# re: More of my Sewing Room@ Thursday, August 4, 2011 10:09 AM

That is so neat and nice! i like it. well that is quite funny about converting bed room to a work place or place for storing fabrics. But i think if you got a craze for something in life, you don't have a thing more precious than that. That craze/interest takes you to new heights. Good Luck.

johnmethew

# re: More of my Sewing Room@ Thursday, August 4, 2011 6:00 PM

Keep in mind that it looks this good because the photo was taken right after the reorganize was completed - three years ago. It's kind of like cleaning the house because company is coming over. But...after everyone goes home, things are out of order and there are usually dishes to wash and something to clean up that spilled.

Pamela

# re: More of my Sewing Room@ Sunday, August 7, 2011 12:17 PM

Where did you get the shelves

Happy

# re: More of my Sewing Room@ Tuesday, August 9, 2011 6:56 PM

I like this.  The part of this that I am jealous of is the room with a door that closes!  That means no cats, no kids, no husband, no interruptions; baseball in the background; and no one can see if you leave your project half done and strewn about until the next session!  Someday one of my kids will leave home and I will have it too!  ;-)

greenmonstr