Nancy's Beginnings

Here I will document experiences in my new world of quilting.

Minnesota Quilt Show 2010

The Minnesota Quilt Show rotates its location between 4 cities in the state.  Four years ago when it was held in St. Cloud, the location closest to my home, I attended just for something to do on a Saturday afternoon.  I fell in love with the projects I saw.  I vowed then and there that I would learn to quilt.  Four years later, I was excited when the show returned to St. Cloud so that I could take classes to get better at my new pastime.  With a few quilts under my belt, I examined the quilts in the exhibit hall with a new eye for detail.

Come join me on a virtual tour of the Minnesota Quilt Show.  There were hundreds of quilts to see.  Here are the ones that most tickled my fancy.

Oh my gosh, those blocks are all hand-appliqued.  It's a garden scene.  Vegetables in the upper left. Flowers along the right side.  An apple tree in the lower left.  Here's a close-up...

Because I'm just learning applique, my eye was drawn to fine examples.  This one had beautiful embroidered details as seen in the closeup.

I'd like to do a log cabin quilt some day.  The colors in this one are striking!

A group of friends made this together, each gal creating her own "Pretty in Pink" block.  Their names are stitched on the hearts.  Fun idea!

These are the same Elisa Wilson curved pieces that I'm currently working on in batiks.  This clever person chose great fabrics to create a scene with those curves.

Another attractive applique.  I like how the picture's elements extend into the border.

Someone enjoyed making baskets!

Aprons sure are popular these days.  I saw several quilts along this line.

Funky chickens!  This could be another fun group project.

Because St. Cloud is known as the "Granite City," the challenge project for this year involved using fabrics with stone patterns.  This quilt was an exceptional entry in the challenge category with many 3-D effects.  Close-ups follow...

This jacket was another challenge entry.  Notice the "rocky" elements on the back!

I thought this challenge quilt was striking in its simplicity.

This long, thin wall hanging proves that quilts don't have to be large to be beautiful!

Sampler quilts don't get much larger than this.

I love the simplicity of the leaves and the gradations of blue in the background.

Both the applique and the quilting were exceptional on this quilt.  Detail below.

I should have asked someone to stand in front of this as I snapped the picture to illustrate the scale.  The little boy is humongous!  Can you imagine the grandson's delight to see himself larger than life with all his favorite things around him.  The textures don't show well either.  The elephant and Maurice Sendak's "Wild Things" are made of chenille.

I love batiks!

This one was pieced in wool with many hand-embroidered details.

So many beautiful quilts!  I could go on and on....

(Next up - pictures from my applique class.)

Published Mon, Jun 21 2010 8:30 PM by MNnancy

Comments

# re: Minnesota Quilt Show 2010@ Monday, June 21, 2010 11:08 PM

I was forunate to attend the Minnesota quilt show in St.Cloud,Duluth and Rochester.Wonderful shows.At the sneak peeek showing at St.Cloud my DD#1 won the grand prize of a Bernina sewing machine.

# re: Minnesota Quilt Show 2010@ Monday, June 21, 2010 11:18 PM

nancy,  beautiful quilts.   i love your commentaries, too.   you also do a nice job with picture taking.    thanks, looking forward to seeing the pictures of your class   gini

by gini

# re: Minnesota Quilt Show 2010@ Tuesday, June 22, 2010 3:53 AM

Nancy,

You did a wonderful job of picture taking and descriptions of these beautiful quilts. What very talented quilters you have in your area to inspire you. Thanks for sharing.

# re: Minnesota Quilt Show 2010@ Tuesday, June 22, 2010 9:31 AM

WOW!! there are some very talented ladies out there...quilting has come a long way...thanks for posting Nancy

# re: Minnesota Quilt Show 2010@ Tuesday, June 22, 2010 11:25 AM

Nancy

Wonderful pictures.  Thank you for sharing.  Loved that you added the commentary. It added to the experience

# re: Minnesota Quilt Show 2010@ Tuesday, June 22, 2010 12:04 PM

I too was at the Minnesota Quilt Show 2010.  I loved the appliqued Garden Path quilt and the apron appliqued one.  I brought my 90 year old Mother with me and we both came home inspired!

by Pat

# re: Minnesota Quilt Show 2010@ Tuesday, June 22, 2010 12:24 PM

The first quilt based on the Granite City theme is exquisite! I can't believe how detailed and beautiful it is.

# re: Minnesota Quilt Show 2010@ Tuesday, June 22, 2010 2:27 PM

OMG wow these are just amazing thanks for sharing

by Adele

# re: Minnesota Quilt Show 2010@ Tuesday, June 22, 2010 3:17 PM

Nancy,thank you for sharing these beautiful pics, the quilts are exceptional!  WOW

by Marie

# re: Minnesota Quilt Show 2010@ Tuesday, June 22, 2010 3:45 PM

Beautiful quilts, thank you so much for sharing.

# re: Minnesota Quilt Show 2010@ Tuesday, June 22, 2010 4:19 PM

Wow, What a show wish I could actually go ,these are some really beautiful quilts.Everyone who made one should be very proud.Barbara

by Barbara

# re: Minnesota Quilt Show 2010@ Friday, July 2, 2010 9:32 AM

Loved these pictures!  Wish we knew who the quilters are!  Thanks for taking the trouble to post these gorgeous quilts.

# re: Minnesota Quilt Show 2010@ Saturday, July 3, 2010 2:36 PM

Nancy,

I love you photos of these wonderful quilts.  My two favorites are the one with the little boy and the one with the aprons.

# re: Minnesota Quilt Show 2010@ Thursday, July 22, 2010 11:18 AM

Wow so many amazing quilts I can’t even choose my favorite!!! Thank you for sharing these inspiring quilts. Inspiration can be found any time of the year from anywhere.  Thank for the great ideas!   I found a great website called http://www.toadusew.com they have all types of unique and creative downloadable quilt patterns and a great selection of all types of kites, quilt patterns, just about everything even fabric.  If you are ever looking for some creative quilt patterns or just want to be inspired you should check this site out!

by Anonymous