Isabella's Blog

Update on Operation S.I.D. (Stitch in the Ditch)

What an evening!!!! I had such an hard time with it.did not like the outcome and I almost decided to undo everything and it to be quilted professionaly.

Then I decided that if I do not start trying doing it I will never learn...right? I just hope that my niece will understand that is the first attempt and looks pretty ugly.

I am not sure I will finish tonight but I should be able to finish it within the week end.

Stay tuned for more up date and, if I am brave enough, I will even post the pictures

Isabella

Comments

Spudgrandma said:

I'm sure it is not ugly and you will be surprised after you get it all done and wash it it will look beautiful and you will not be able to even find the spots you thought were awful  I'm anxious to see a picture!

# September 8, 2010 12:34 PM

gini said:

isabella,   you shouldn't expect to be perfect the first time out.   i bet it is just fine and that your neice will love it. so many folks just give store bought things.   all the effort that went into it will be greatly appeciated  and cherished by your neice    i am looking forward to a picture.   and you never know there are probably more than a couple of quilters here that can take a look at it and give you some tips, if it really is that bad, to mske your quilting more enjoyable next time.

i've been quilting for 40 years and i still need help.  so don't give up you will get there, i promise     gini

# September 8, 2010 1:16 PM

Nana said:

Isabella I bet it isn't nearly as bad as you think.  We are overly critical of ourselves.  Just keep practicing and quilting and each time will get easier.  I am anxious to see a picture.

# September 8, 2010 1:52 PM

Isabella said:

Thanks ladies for your support. It's nice to know that out there I have friends ready to help.....because in house I have my husband that keeps telling me "that sewing is not straight, you have to redo it....oh that's ugly".....I know he is only pushing me to do better.

So again thanks ladies and keep cheering for me please!!!

# September 8, 2010 2:56 PM

Stephanie said:

Isabella,

Have you ever noticed that you rarely see quilts in magazines quilted using SID method? I personally find this is one of the hardest and most time consuming methods to quilt. Because we press our seams in opposite directions in order to line them up perfectly when we piece there will always be a slight shift in where that "ditch" will be located. The perfect ditch seam is done in line with the lower fabric (the one that doesn't have the bulk from pressing the seam, usually toward the darker side), what happens when you meet a new block that has been pressed in the opposite direction. It shifts. If you have perfect piecing in your blocks it will be subtle, but still a shift.

Quilts are labors of love, and for most of us, made as gifts to people we care about. To achieve an award winning quilt requires a lot of practice and expertise. And, if you look closely at them you'll find imperfections. I'm sure anyone that has entered a contest has held their breath, hoping that no one would notice. LOL

You did the right thing by going ahead and doing this. Your niece will love it, especially because you made it for her.

I also would like to add that if you slow down and really look at that line and if your machine has a stitch in the ditch foot available, it is a worthy investment. Practice on samples, and someday you'll bring one out to your hubby and say, "Hahaha, look at me now......I knew I could do it!

# September 8, 2010 8:19 PM

Hannatine said:

Isabella - I find that any mistakes are hidden once you wash it.  The quilt puckers around it and it looks lovely.  I use a walking foot on my machine and find I can't do SID without it.  Never, ever give up.  It's too much fun to plod through it.

# September 13, 2010 12:31 AM