Quilty Launches Today!

Posted Wed, Jan 19 2011 12:24 AM by Mary Fons

It's here, it's here!

I imagine launching a business or a website or a new quilting show online is kind of like giving birth, only there are fewer surgical gloves and less screaming. Quilty launches today, and there are no nurses or whacks on the back, but there is a feeling of joy, of fear, of expecation.

It's just a little show. But it's our little show. And I'm very, very happy.

I hope you will all visit QNNtv.com and heyquilty.com to check it out. The first episode is up and the gettin's good. Be patient with us as we work out kinks in the website, here on the blog, and other items of business we haven't realized are kinked yet. Be patient with your host, too -- I'm still learning right along with you. But all those caveats are immaterial in the end. We're just going for it at this point.

I know from experience that if you've got a basic grasp of the mechanics of quiltmaking, you can open a door to a world of comfort, peace, art, and enjoyment and it can never be taken away from you. Quilty was born out of my desire to help the people in my peer group (and beyond) discover just that. Quilts are American. They are people. They are stories; past and future. They're also wildly fun to make these days, what with all the ridiculously beautiful fabric out there, and the collective body of quilt knowledge available to us today. There's never been a better time to make a quilt and Quilty wants to encourage and help anyone, everyone do that.

So enjoy! There's a new episode each week. We're already planning the next batch, and the next, and the next. I was going to post a picture from the set but I think I'd rather post another picture of me at the sewing machine with my favorite doggie in the world: Scrabble. I call her "Scrabble Doo" and she calls me "Bark! Bark!" but we both think you should watch Quilty, friend Quilty on Facebook, and stick around for a spell.

p.s. Thank you to everyone at NTM, Fons & Porter, and QNN. Thank you to my family, especially my incredible mother -- thanks for the fabric, Mom. And to my ridonk-a-donk, stupidly amazing Quilty production team, esp. Rebecca, Jack, Josh, and Ceasar. (This sounds like I'm winning an Oscar...)

Comments

# re: Quilty Launches Today!

Wednesday, January 19, 2011 10:41 AM by Linda

Break a leg!  Good Luck!  You'll be great!  Headin' over right now to see it.

Linda

# re: Quilty Launches Today!

Wednesday, January 19, 2011 12:21 PM by barbe

Hi!  I watch you and your mom every Saturday on public tv.  Love your show.  You have so many great tips.  I am new to quilting so need all the help I can get.  I will be sure and watch your new show.

Barb

# re: Quilty Launches Today!

Wednesday, January 19, 2011 2:02 PM by Ally

Good luck, you are a joy to watch, love watching you and your mom on Sunday mornings on pbs. Wish it was on more.

# re: Quilty Launches Today!

Wednesday, January 19, 2011 9:17 PM by Teresa

I watched the two segments (and the preview) that are already posted.  I'm loving it so far, even though I'm not a new quilter.

Great job..keep up the good work.

# re: Quilty Launches Today!

Thursday, January 20, 2011 1:34 AM by gini

good luck mary

# re: Quilty Launches Today!

Wednesday, January 26, 2011 7:58 AM by frahm

Since I am just beginning my first quilt for my daughter which I promised 37 years ago (little over due) I really appreciate your "Quilty" it's great. I am doing Turkey Tracks and have my blocks hanging on the Fons and Porter flannel board. It is so helpful, I sit and study the blocks, do some changing. I am afraid to start sewing it, a friend told me that the fear of having to rip out is the frog stitch - rip it, rip it, rip it. The fabric is from my deceased dad's shirts and when finished will be a nice reminder of him for my daughter. Thank you for stepping out and making a helpful show.

# re: Quilty Launches Today!

Thursday, December 1, 2011 10:21 AM by dolldr

Mary! It is so great to see the next generation!  This is the blog I have for you but I haven't seen an update.