Attack of the Fake Quilts!

Posted Thu, Dec 23 2010 10:18 AM by Mary Fons

I saw a huge -- HUGE! -- display of FAKE QUILTS at Bloomingdale's the other night.

I consider quilts to be fake when they meet any or all of the following criteria:

- they were produced in a factory setting
- they have been created in quantities over 1 (one)
- they have a tag
- they have a tag that says "Made in China"
- they are sold for under $100

There are other criteria, I suppose, but that's a decent start. Here are a few of the fakers. Log Cabin, even! Have they no shame??

Comments

# re: Attack of the Fake Quilts!

Thursday, December 23, 2010 10:52 AM by Susan Smith

And to think that the average non quilter..expects me/us  to make one for that price.  My work is priceless when given with love to my family.

# re: Attack of the Fake Quilts!

Thursday, December 23, 2010 6:32 PM by Mary Fons

Susan! I couldn't agree more. It's like, "Woah! How much would that be, I mean, to like, buy?" And it's hard to tell them nicely that it would be a LOT. Tough question to answer and I think we'll always, always have to answer it in one form or another. :)

# re: Attack of the Fake Quilts!

Friday, December 24, 2010 1:00 AM by mars92

One thing I noticed right off in the fake quilts was the fabrics--or should I say the lack of quality fabrics used in the fake quilts.  I have learned a very valuable lesson- if you are going to spend a lot of your precious time and energy on a quilt do not skimp on fabric.  It shows in your quilt, truly it does, and for you to save $5-10 on a quilt doesn't make much sense in my humble opinion when that small amount could make your entire quilt!

I would rather make fewer quilts each year out of quality fabric than more quilts out of cheap fabric.

Marlene

# re: Attack of the Fake Quilts!

Friday, December 24, 2010 4:49 PM by Karen Hunt

I have been quilting since 1981, and the quilts coming from China and being sold by large chain stores at extremely low prices continues.  I have warned family and friends about them for a long time.  What's really sad is the conditions that you know the workers who make them have to work.  It's not only a quality issue it's a human rights issue as well.  It's all very sad to me.

Karen

# re: Attack of the Fake Quilts!

Saturday, December 25, 2010 1:10 AM by Leslie

Quilts are to be made out of love.  You know these fake quilts will not stand up to the test of time.

# re: Attack of the Fake Quilts!

Saturday, December 25, 2010 9:36 AM by sunrisequilter

Some years ago my sister-in-law had her eye on a "bear's paw" quilt in hunter green and white.  It was beautiful (when viewed from across the room), and over $400.  We looked at it together, and I pointed out the "fake" qualities.  She loved it despite that.  It went on sale for about half price and she snapped it up.  It didn't take long before the seams started to separate due to the poor workmanship and quilting threads coming loose.  The quilting was little more than basting.  She felt bad about her beautiful quilt - I did some repairs.  What else can you expect from imported "fake" quilts?  You can't expect anything of quality if you can get a king size quilt for $50!!  Buyer Beware!!

# re: Attack of the Fake Quilts!

Saturday, December 25, 2010 11:33 AM by Barbara

I agree with everthing stated above. but mostly the fact that there is no love but into those quilts . they have no soul...Barbara

# re: Attack of the Fake Quilts!

Tuesday, December 28, 2010 3:04 PM by Nana

I agree with all these comments.  The "fake" quilts just don't feel the same or carry the same love as a quilt that is hand made.

# re: Attack of the Fake Quilts!

Wednesday, December 29, 2010 7:34 PM by Helen Bell

I don't think that we can call them "fake" as they are technically quilts...and some quilts can be sold for under $100...but they are not of the quality that most quilters of the western world make...the fabrics are low quality and the stitching is not good either...but they are still quilts

# re: Attack of the Fake Quilts!

Thursday, December 30, 2010 8:46 AM by delfi42@ptd.net

It is sad . I had someone ask me to make them a Queen size quilt for $60.000 I felt so bad telling her that wouldn't cover the cost pf a baby quilt. It you want something you can throw on a bed and call it a quilt then fine go buy these mass produced pieces bit the reality is they won't last you too long and have no love on them

# re: Attack of the Fake Quilts!

Friday, January 7, 2011 7:20 PM by Lyn

Every time I see a fake quilt (I like that term for them) I cringe. Such quilts do all real quilters a disservice by misleading non-quilters to undervalue the work. But then I remember it's out of ignorance and I just shake my head. All of us quality quilters need to continue to educate the unknowing. Perserverance will prevail. Just be gentle and tolerant. I'm glad to see others who recognize such quilts for what they are -- fake.