It's Quilty Time.

Posted Sun, Dec 12 2010 2:08 PM by Mary Fons

The snow is swirling and curling around outside our apartment windows. Chicago is being blanketed by the beautiful white stuff and I'm feeling incredibly cozy and happy. The mountain of work on my plate is looking at me with a cocked eyebrow. It knows that my reverie won't last long. It can't.

We're shooting the first "season" of Quilty a week from today.

This is huge news! Here's the Quilty mission statment:

"Quilty is a weekly quilting show offered online that seeks to inform and inspire the next generation of quilters. Hosted by Mary Fons, daughter of well-known and widely respected quilt educator and author Marianne Fons, Quilty delivers great quilting instruction with humor, zest, and respect for the art of quilting.

Many of today’s newer quilters come to the craft with little to no knowledge of quilting basics; the home economics classes our mothers took were replaced by computer classes when we were in school. Therefore, Quilty will teach rudimentary quilting skills in addition to more advanced techniques, in hopes that after seeing just one episode, every viewer will be excited to make a quilt of her own. Quilty passionately supports independently owned local quilt shops.

With style, class, and a sense of humor, Quilty aims to ignite new passion for the American quilt."

As dates for the first episodes are released, you'll be the first to know. Well, I think you will be. Things are happening so fast, I think I'm probably going to be learning stuff right along with you. But I do know that the first episodes will begin in January, which is really just a few weeks away. I am passionate about Quilty and believe that it's a needed, valuable commodity. If you're reading this, you're already likely a pretty good quilter. But think of the future of the industry. Who will quilt when we're not around? We have to connect with the next generation of quilters where they are, at their level.

Hint: They are at the computer. And they are at Level One. Maybe Level Zero.

Here's a photo from the pilot shoot we did a few months ago. I look professional, no? Really, I'm just caught mid-sentence, looking out the window. Maybe I was looking at the mountain of work and feeling optimistic.

Comments

# re: It's Quilty Time.

Sunday, December 12, 2010 3:37 PM by Jane

We are looking at the same snow here (but 30 miles south of you) - terrible day out, but a great day to get stuff done inside.  I am so excited you will have a new show and hope to see it soon! I am also a new quilter - taught by my Aunt.   I checked out that Quiltology store you mentioned but really like another store closer to me called Thimbles in Lockport. If you have not, you should see it. :)  Happy Holidays! Stay warm!

# re: It's Quilty Time.

Sunday, December 12, 2010 4:00 PM by Deedrie

hooray!  I can't wait to watch!

# re: It's Quilty Time.

Sunday, December 12, 2010 6:27 PM by Barbara

Mary, this sounds really good ,I'm an older new quilter and I could sure use some of the knowledge myself. Look foward to see the new show...Barbara

# re: It's Quilty Time.

Sunday, December 12, 2010 11:42 PM by Christy G.

This is so exciting that you are doing a new show called Quilty. I am going to ask my 18 yr daughter to watch it with me. Will it be on QNN.TV? How will we access it?

Christy in Anch,AK

# re: It's Quilty Time.

Monday, December 13, 2010 1:56 AM by gini

great idea for a show, i'll look forward to watching it   gini

# re: It's Quilty Time.

Monday, December 13, 2010 10:32 AM by Teresa

I know several people I'm going to recommend watch this.  Even as a veteran quilter I get ideas from shows that have more basic quilting instruction.  I'm really happy to see this moving forward for you!

# re: It's Quilty Time.

Tuesday, December 14, 2010 12:09 AM by Nana

This is awesome news.  I think it is great that you are trying to reach out to the next generation of quilters and get younger people interested.  It will be really interesting to watch your new show.

# re: It's Quilty Time.

Tuesday, December 14, 2010 11:47 PM by David

Exactly what I am looking for in a show. With 3 quilts under my belt, I am looking to see where I can improve my technique and learn more for the beginner.

# re: It's Quilty Time.

Saturday, January 8, 2011 1:28 AM by Marge Campbell

The video of the first two shows on qnntv are very grainy, will the quality get better?  The credits at the beginning and end are perfect..but the show itself is really hard to see.

Marge

# re: It's Quilty Time.

Wednesday, January 19, 2011 12:08 PM by Jeanette Pugh

I love the show.  The information is great for the new quilter.  I am having all 3 of my girls watch the show so they can gain the fundamentals of quilting instead of do it this way because I say so.

Jeanette