To border or not to border, that is the question.

Posted Mon, Nov 8 2010 10:12 AM by Mary Fons

The quilt top is finished!

Coming in at over 1,000 pieces, my Diana Vreeland quilt top is 90% done. Or is it? I need some help, quilters.

I'm not sure what to do about a border on this puppy. I sent a picture to my friends at Love of Quilting (my mom included) and several of them said that they didn't think it needed a border at all. That was surprising to me, but I like the idea. When I eyeballed a solid navy border around it, it looked way too chunky. A pieced border would be okay, but I'm kind of ready to move on.

What do you think? Border? And if yes, what kind? Or should I got borderless? Is that like making a cake with no icing? Help!

Comments

# re: To border or not to border, that is the question.

Monday, November 8, 2010 11:10 AM by Linda

I love cake without icing, its not as messy and can be eaten with you fingers!  Ha-Ha.  So I say no border, it looks finished to me.  The quilt is beautiful and inspiring.

Linda K

Monday, November 8, 2010 12:27 PM by Teresa

I think it looks fabulous as is!  No border necessary.

Monday, November 8, 2010 2:00 PM by Diane Morgan

Just a plain black binding would set this off perfectly.

Monday, November 8, 2010 2:34 PM by gini

it doesn't need a border, it's perfect the way it is.

Monday, November 8, 2010 3:05 PM by mars92

I have to agree with everyone else--it really doesn't need a border to me because this quilt stands on its own.  If you were to put a border on it-it would distract from your beautiful quilt and they would be in competition with each other.  Like in who's in charge here the border or the all these gorgeous hst's which btw you did a beautiful job on with great colors.  Someone else earlier said to bind in black and I agree.

The quilt stands alone-she's gorgeous enough she can DO IT.  Bind her in black like Diane suggested and she's a wrap!

Enjoy her!

Marlene

Monday, November 8, 2010 6:10 PM by Nana

I agree with the others....no border.  It is gorgeous the way it is.  Anything more would be distracting.

Monday, November 8, 2010 8:18 PM by chocake2

What if...  you were to add some appliqued vines and pink posies to  the border to break up the navy??  Na...That'd be too much, wouldn't it? I really do think that if you were to use a border, it would have to be minimal. Keep it narrow.

Monday, November 8, 2010 8:34 PM by recyclequeen

I think it looks great the way it is.  Is the fabric cut on the bias? will not putting a border on it lead to the outter edges getting the ripple effect once the backing is sewn on.?   I think Black binding , or a one inch folded insert of red and a 2 inch border of black might work for me.  I would take the feild glasses and look thru the wrong end to decide .

Hope this brings thought.

Pam

Monday, November 8, 2010 10:33 PM by Mary Fons

All:

Wow! I'm just sort of speechless with gratitude! I was out all day and just came home to see all these wonderful comments!! Thanks!!

Who am I to go against the wind? While I think the posies is a great idea, Chocake (and I really love your name!) I think I'll go borderless.

BUT!

I have some pink scraps leftover, so I'm going to use them to do a pieced panel on the back! Ta-da! Solution reached.

Thanks again for all the totally awesome comments and feedback. I am getting a new digital camera tomorrow(!) and will finally be able to post some clearer, more detailed pictures.

Yippee Skippee!

xoxo,

Mar

Tuesday, November 9, 2010 8:34 AM by Barbara

Mary, I have to agree with the rest of the ladies ,You don't need a border it looks wonderful as is . Very nicely done .Barbara

Tuesday, November 9, 2010 9:26 PM by Maggie

Me too, me too, no border is necessary.  How long did it take you to cut and piece it?

Tuesday, November 9, 2010 11:53 PM by Mary Fons

Hi, Maggie!

Well, that's always a tough question, but I think I can estimate it. I cut out my pink half-square triangles in two big, big batches. That took maybe... Four hours? Then I cut out my navy blue as needed, which took about the same, I'd guess.

The piecing was pretty cray-cray, time-wise. It took a long time. The squares finish 2", which is pretty darned small. I worked on the quilt the month of October, basically. I think that's a pretty fair estimation of the time it took, though I didn't work on it every day. But as my mom says, it's hard to finish a quilt if you're not working on it. So I worked on it whenever I could.

One thing's for sure: This ain't no weekend project... :)

Thanks again for all the great replies.