Happily quilting again!
Finally, our move to TN is complete and the Raleigh house has closed, the money is in the bank, and it's time to begin our life here. A serious search for a "new" home will begin in a couple of months. I haven't found a quilting group or guild yet - I've done some research but haven't yet remembered to put the meetings on the calendar. Thankfully, there are several guilds in the area. I've carved out a place in the apartment here for my "studio". I have to move the "dining room" (a round table and a couple of chairs) and rearrange the sewing furniture each time I want to spend time with the machine, but it's worth it. Here's the studio:
For the last few days I've been quilting on the Chuppah Shalom quilt. It's been a struggle! Today I finally figured out the right combination! I have a Viking 875Q and love it. This time, I was trying to implement the techniques that Leah Day shares in her Craftsy classes. My primary issue was major "eye lashes" in the entire first loop of the Paisley design (yes, it's a doodler). After the very first loop - the stitches were beautiful.
To start her quilting, Leah likes to bring up the bobbin thread and just start quilting without locking the threads. Then later she ties a knot and buries the knot in the batting. Everytime I used that technique I got the eye lashes. I put in a new needle, no difference. I re-threaded, no difference. Thinking my hand were moving faster than the needle I increased machine speed, no difference. Finally, I decided to go back to my normal method of bringing up the bobbin thread and locking the stitches before sewing. That solved it. It's possible that the much-loved auto tension feature of my machine is at the root of the issue. Frankly, I don't care. I'm more than happy to lock my stitches, and then bless my auto-tension for the beautiful stitches it produces.