Sharon D's Blog

July 2013 - Posts

Five lessons about spray basting

I LOVE spray basting. It is quick, easy, and works great - usually. Nearly 2 years ago, I sandwiched Milky Way (based on a design by  Georgette Dell'Orco). About that time, we decided we would move to TN. So, while getting the house ready for market in the spring of 2012, all heck broke loose. We discovered a major dishwasher leak in the kitchen that had damaged a lot of the hardwood in the kitchen and living areas. So, quilting came to a halt while we dealt with damage clean up and hired a contractor. It was Jan 2012 before we got started. We also needed to paint the interior so that meant packing everything up so it could all be moved to the center of the rooms. As soon as the work was done, it was a simple task to put 75% of the piles in storage. That quilt stayed in storage for nearly a year and a half!

Now that we are in TN, I've begun to work on the backlog of quilting. That poor quilt has been a challenge. the places I'm having trouble with, are where I was apparently heavy-handed with the spray adhesive. Sometimes the top thread doesn't catch the bobbin thread, or something else happens. When I test everything on a recently sprayed practice sandwich. all my stitches are perfect. So I know the machine is working fine. So, here are the lessons I learned about spray basting. I hope they help you:

  1. Don't be afraid to try it. I still love spray basting.
  2. Spray lightly. Your sandwich will hold together just fine.
  3. Don't bake your top in a storage unit. Keep it at home!
  4. Try to get your quilt sandwich finished within a few months.
  5. If you've been heavy handed and have trouble, try to be patient. I have marked the places that need re-work with safety pins, and am enjoying the rest of the quilting.

Oh, I've finished the Chupah Shalom quilt. The pattern is for sale at www.craftsy.com. Search for "deming" in the patterns section.

 

 Be good to yourself. Quilt!

Happily quilting again!

Finally, our move to TN is complete and the Raleigh house has closed, the money is in the bank, and it's time to begin our life here. A serious search for a "new" home will begin in a couple of months. I haven't found a quilting group or guild yet - I've done some research but haven't yet remembered to put the meetings on the calendar. Thankfully, there are several guilds in the area.  I've carved out a place in the apartment here for my "studio". I have to move the "dining room" (a round table and a couple of chairs) and rearrange the sewing furniture each time I want to spend time with the machine, but it's worth it. Here's the studio:

For the last few days I've been quilting on the Chuppah Shalom quilt. It's been a struggle! Today I finally figured out the right combination! I have a Viking 875Q and love it. This time, I was trying to implement the techniques that Leah Day shares in her Craftsy classes.  My primary issue was major "eye lashes" in the entire first loop of the Paisley design (yes, it's a doodler). After the very first loop - the stitches were beautiful.

 

To start her quilting, Leah likes to bring up the bobbin thread and just start quilting without locking the threads. Then later she ties a knot and buries the knot in the batting. Everytime I used that technique I got the eye lashes. I put in a new needle, no difference. I re-threaded, no difference. Thinking my hand were moving faster than the needle I increased machine speed, no difference. Finally, I decided to go back to my normal method of bringing up the bobbin thread and locking the stitches before sewing. That solved it. It's possible that the much-loved auto tension feature of my machine is at the root of the issue. Frankly, I don't care. I'm more than happy to lock my stitches, and then bless my auto-tension for the beautiful stitches it produces.

Happy quilting!