Double Wedding Ring quilt progress

I've been working on the Double Wedding Ring for about a month. I have about half of the melons made, and got a few units put together.

Finding blue batik fabric proved more difficult than I had thought. I got some at two local shops, but then thought I'd like more variety of blues. At the NQA convention, I bought just about every blue batik there, and only had about 10 different fat quarters or half yard cuts.

I visited Goshen, Indiana a couple of weeks ago, and stopped at a shop that had a few more to chose from. There was a new quilt and sewing machine next door to that one, so I found a few more. I think I have enough, now. :)

I have decided that even though some fabric is downright ugly, it can still "work" and add to the finished product. The ones I don't like are dark, blotchy things. They end up a great background for more sparkly fabric.

The Thousand Pyramid quilt in the frame waiting to have the other half quilted looks a bit forlorn. If I keep a good pace on the DWR, it won't be too long before that one is back in the front of the line.

Published Mon, Jul 25 2011 12:23 PM by LindaE

Comments

# re: Double Wedding Ring quilt progress@ Monday, July 25, 2011 7:19 PM

Looks great. How are you putting it together? I've had a pattern to paper piece the rings, but keep putting off doing it.

Wasn't the NQA show great. I always find it inspriational.

by Pamela

# re: Double Wedding Ring quilt progress@ Tuesday, July 26, 2011 6:46 AM

John Flynn has a way to chain piece them. I found out about his method in an issue of Fons and Porter's magazine a few years ago. I use a plastic template kit to make the small pieces that become the arcs, then I join them using John's chain piecing method. It is pretty fast. The first time is scary, because it doesn't look like it will fit. It does.

I greatly enjoyed the NQA show. I got to take a class for the first time, and I hope it isn't the last. I'd like to actually get a hotel room, and go more than one day. That will depend on my husband's work schedule.

by LindaE

# re: Double Wedding Ring quilt progress@ Tuesday, July 26, 2011 9:41 PM

this is going to be very beautiufl

by gini

# re: Double Wedding Ring quilt progress@ Wednesday, July 27, 2011 7:15 PM

I've attended NQA for the last three years. It's just a 6 hour drive. I leave early Friday morning and stay over through Saturday. Usually take a lecture or two. My quilting friend was unable to attend this year, so my husband graciously attended with me. He's already trying to find someone to take his place next year. This year, I was able to participate in the SewBatik Challenge. Really cool to see one of your own quilts hung in a national show. I'm already planning what I'll do next year. Definitely would like to take a class.

by Pamela

# re: Double Wedding Ring quilt progress@ Thursday, July 28, 2011 9:56 PM

I have a wedding ring quilt top almost ready to quilt.  It has taken me at least ten years.  I don't work on it wery often.  I have made it very complicated.  In the center of each I machine embroidery relatives names and their wedding date.  Also make the rings a veration of one color with the center squares the solid color.  Don't know how I am going to quilt it.

RubyS-6