kingjenia's Blog

This is where I yap about the quilts I'm making, ideas for new quilts and little things about life that gets in the way.

Catless quilting

It hurts me so to tell you all we lost our beloved kitty, Tuxedo.  His disease was fatal and the vet said it was cruel to continue force feeding him until his pain was unbearable. poor Tuxedo and his deeply hurt grieving parents had to take that horrible last trip to the vet.  It's so very devastating and deeply depressing.  When the blood work came back we then knew a lot more about his disease.  It was actually something he had from birth and the only good thing I can say is that we gave him an extra year of life that he would not have had left in the wild. He was only 2 years old.

I'm telling you all this because he was my quilting companion for the last year and a half.  He also brought out the cat person in me.  I never knew I could love a cat, but Tuxedo was not any ordinary cat.  He was more canine than feline.  Even the vet and her assistants said he was extremely special.  Even while he was devastatingly ill, he would purr for us and them.  They all gave him extra special attention because of his awesome personality.    He is very sorely missed and I cry as I write this.

Wwhile grieving I thought some quilting would keep my mind off our loss.   However I wasn't sure if it would help or hinder my grieving.   I thought perhaps bringing out the big quilt may be depressing because he was always wrapped up in the fabric at my feet.  I thought my loss would be multiplied because he wasn't there to help me make all those stitches.  I reluctantly pulled it out and began stitching while watching cheesy hallmark Christmas movie all alone in the big living room.

i wasn't alone for long

Our new pup, Opal, whom Jim rescued from across the country moved right in.  She even blends in to my backing fabric just like Tuxedo, black and white.  Opal has blended into our family  just like she and Tux did into my quilt.  She is a great addition to our family and I don't regret one thing about going to get her.

Then our Angel, the husky mix, who is always Ms. Buttinsky as we call her, moved in for the photo shoot.

Even Day-z got into the cheer mom up mood.  Here she is getting Jim's camera attention as they all converged on me to make sure i was okay.  Day-z has a perpetual smile and you can't help but smile back.  She's the sweetest little girl and is always cheering me up, and always the ball player.  I'm sure her ball isn't far from this photo the way she's looking at Jim it's probably at his feet.

What you don't see here is Lucy our Jack Russell sitting under all that fabric by my feet.

While I didn't get much sewing done, I did get moral support from my family and even some smiles and giggles as they all visited and cheered me up.  We all miss our Tuxedo dearly.  Even Opal who has only known him for a week seems to understand our sadness and loss.  As I write this she has moved right back in to Her spot on my quilt fabric after being distracted for a few minutes before coming back to quietly sit here while I set down the iPad and begin stitching again.  I just had to let ya'll know Catless quilting can be accomplished with a little help from our friends.

sew, till next time...

Published Wed, Nov 13 2013 9:02 PM by Jenia

Comments

# re: Catless quilting@ Sunday, November 17, 2013 3:40 PM

My sincere condolences on the loss of your precious Tuxedo. We just found out yesterday that our little Princess Lucy is in stage 4 kidney failure, the vet thinks it's genetic due to her being only 3 yrs old. I have not been able to control my grief since hearing the news. The vet said we should wait to put her down until she quits eating so that's where we are right now, it's so very hard..... I feel we'll be making that "last" trip soon too.  My heart goes out to you. They are such great friends, companions and family.

Lorene

# re: Catless quilting@ Monday, November 18, 2013 11:42 AM

Awe, Lorene.  I certainly hope your Princess Lucy keeps her appetite for a very long time.  Tuxedo quit eating 3 weeks before we had to "do the right thing".  It IS extremely hard when they are so young.  All of my dogs have been very old when the time came...no one younger than 14.  You think you will have them for decades and to lose one so very young has been the worst for me. Even though the vet reassured us that we could not have done more for poor Tuxedo, in this day and age you think there is always hope.  I understand your grief and a week later I'm still crying for little Tux.

by Jenia

# re: Catless quilting@ Tuesday, November 19, 2013 11:45 AM

Jenia and Lorene:  I've been there, too, and it is so very hard. There is no easy time or way to handle it!  The saving grace is that we made their lives a bit easier, and received so much love from them on the journey. Jenia, I'm sorry about the loss of your beloved Tux, but glad that you have other furry friends to help you heal (and quilt).  Lorene, I'm sorry to hear your Princess Lucy is failing. I know you'll treasure the time you have left with her. They are/were lucky kitties indeed!

by Pat

# re: Catless quilting@ Sunday, December 1, 2013 1:59 PM

Good morning Jenia and Pat. Unfortunately little Lucy continued to bounce back and forth a couple more days then on the night of the 20th she told me she was ready, in her sweet little way, so the next morning we too "did the right thing". It was such a relief to know that she was no long suffering!!  We wrapped her in the little pink blanket that she was handed to me in when she was 5 wks old and buried her under her favorite Oak tree in the yard. Thank you both so much for caring and sharing, it certainly brightened my day!! OH, I do have to share this note... My husband Ed, said he'd take Lucy (to put her down)but wanted me to stay home because I'd be upset and that would upset HIM and he could "handle it" if I wasn't there.... so he comes back and says "I did fine signing in and waiting in the waiting room. Then they called me and as soon as the door closed I "lost it" ... cried like a girl" Ed is a very quiet man (62 yrs old)... he just didn't think a little kitty could dig down so deep into his heart!!!  Silly man!!! :)

# re: Catless quilting@ Monday, December 2, 2013 11:29 AM

I'm so sorry for your loss, Lorene.  They touch us all so deeply and you Lucy knew when to let you go.   Jim and I grieve for our critter kids together.  He's tough and rough on the outside for everyone else but when we are together he cries as much as me.  It would be impossible not to, your Ed just learned that too. At the vet we all cried together, vet and vet's assistants all fell for poor Tuxedo it was extremely sad.  I couldn't be there for him at the very end but I waited outside while Jim was brave for me and held him till the end.  On a happy note, we are waiting for the new pup, Opal, to settle down then we will introduce a new kitten to our group.  It wouldn't be fair for a kitten to be subjected to the playful puppy right now.  We need the kitten to be strong and confident like our Tuxedo, so we will wait for Opal to become a dog first.  We will know the right time, just like you will also know when to add a new baby to your household.

by Jenia

# re: Catless quilting@ Sunday, December 15, 2013 11:08 AM

Good morning Jenia! Just wanted to let you know we happened upon a 5 month old kitten that was dumped at a local rescue. Vet says she's a purebred Norwegian Forest cat (related to the Maine Coon). She is so delightful and in to everything!!  While Lucy can never be replaced our new little girl Ginger is filling the hole left by her. Time heals all wounds. I hope you and your family have a Merry Christmas and a great New Year!!

# re: Catless quilting@ Monday, December 16, 2013 9:23 AM

Hi Lorene:  What a coincidence, we found a kitten this weekend also.  A stray was handed into our vet and they have been taking care of her.  When they realized her personality, they were actually waiting for us to come in.  We had to get our dog, Day-z's rattelsnake vaccine this weekend....the vet assistant says I know you might not be ready, but I have someone I want you to meet.  The kitten that, as they said, "doesn't like to be held" sat in my lap and cuddled, snuggled, rubbed, loved on me for Day-z's entire exam.  The deal was sealed, we will be bringing her home January 6th.  They are going to hold her for us until we get back from holiday travels.  She's a tortoise shell, little girl with some very pretty markings...we have named her Paisley.  We are going back to visit her today at lunch so hope to get some good pictures.  Please see my blog on Christmas for more, I will post the photos there this afternoon if I can.  How cool, we have both found new kittens to hopefully help fill that hole left behind.  Like you said they will never be replaced, but they sure can help keep us happy in spreading the love left behind.

by Jenia