Answers To Last Week's Quiz and Our Winner....
1. Quilting is a tradition that has been around for a long time, and has been popular all over the world. Which country is the oldest known quilt from? EGYPT
2. Most quilting styles are "pieced" (made up of pieces of different fabrics), but in some traditional quilts, only one piece of fabric is used, and the pattern is made with the texture of the quilting stitches. What is the term for a quilt made of only one piece of fabric? WHOLE CLOTH QUILT
3. In Colonial America, pieced or patchwork quilting was used as a way to use up scraps of fabric. True or False? FALSE
4. There are many traditional pieced quilt designs. The repeated motif is called a "block", and they are pieced together until the size needed for the bedcover has been reached. Which of the listed quilt blocks has a design that makes it look like the "odd one out"? Nine Patch, Flying Geese, Bear's Paw, Cathedral Window. CATHEDRAL WINDOW
5. Piecing together a quilt as a memorial for departed loved ones has a long history. In 1987 a group of activists formed the NAMES Project Foundation and began gathering quilt panels stitched together by people who had lost loved ones to AIDS. the AIDS Memorial Quilt continues to grow, and new panels are received every week. To the nearest 1000, how many 3' x 6' panels were in the quilt in January of 2003? 45,000
6. Differently patterned quilts were used as symbols to indicate safety or danger on the Underground Railroad Route to the North to freedom for African American slaves. True or False? FALSE
Thanks all for playing! This week's winner is..........LIZ! Congratulations, I've sent you an email, get back to me asap to claim your prize!
1. There are many different quilting traditions in many countries around the world. One of my favorites is the Japanese style of quilting called Sashiko. Which of these statements best describes Sashiko quilting?
- Intricately embroidered images of nature highlighted by gold-threaded quilting
- Pieced designs of fans and bamboo using richly colored silks
- Black silk with textured portrayals of traditional Japanese life
- Dark blue cotton with abstract designs in heavy white stitching
2. Which opulent style of quilting became popular after a display at the Centennial Exhibition in Philadelphia in 1876?
- Damask Quilting
- Philadelphia quilting
- Morning Star Quilting
- Crazy Quilting
3. Amish quilts are famous and older Amish quilts reach high prices at antique auctions. They are striking in their use of bold colors and plain fabrics. Why did the Amish not use patterned fabrics in their quilts?
- Patterned fabrics were not available at the time when the Amish retreated from the rest of society
- Patterned fabrics were thought to be less aesthetically pleasing
- Patterned fabrics had images of objects that only God could make. This was seen as idolatry
- Patterned fabrics were viewed as being too worldly.
4. Quilted material was used as protective armor during the Crusades. True or False?
Send me your entries here: mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org?subject=quiz30
Each correct answer gets one entry, answer them all correctly and get 4 entries! Hurry, one week only, next week we'll announce the winner as well as give you the answers.
List Your Event....
All across the land, Quilt Guilds and Groups are gearing up for their shows. Get yours listed!
Looking for a Quilt Show to attend? Check out our listing. If you have an upcoming event or show you'd like to post on our events page, just click the link!
This Week In History....
Oct 30, 1938 Welles scares nation Oct 31, 1517 Martin Luther posts 95 theses Nov 01, 1512 Sistine Chapel ceiling opens to public Nov 02, 1947 Spruce Goose flies Nov 03, 1964 D.C. residents cast first presidential votes Nov 04, 1956 Soviets put brutal end to Hungarian revolution Nov 05, 1994 George Foreman becomes oldest heavyweight champ
Kaye's on YouTube....
130 (ish) shows (and be sure to stay tuned to our newsletter, blog and facebook pages for a special milestone event!)....
Check them all out... HERE
Are you having problems with a particular video? Let us know what you are experiencing and the name of the video so I can check it out!