Hannatine's Blog

Retired & Quilting in Cabo San Lucas, Mexico

My Fabric Cupboard

This is the finished organized cupboard.  Whew!  Have all my scraps sorted into plastic bags (I like the ones with the slide closures).  Of course my style of "bagging it" is to have a bag per quilt, extra triangles, then strips by 1", 1 1/2", 2" etc.  And various other scraps, which did result in a lot of bags.  But since they are all clear, I can now see what I am looking at and looking for.

Not to back up - but this was my first attempt at adding a picture.  Very proud of myself that I actually got it sized and attached :)  If you look at the way I sorted it, it is by pinks, greens, browns, white & blues.  If I pull out a piece, I can put it back by just placing it on the top of the stack.  If I had to take the whole pile down and re-insert it according to color graduation, I'd never keep it organized.  The fat quarters are set at the side of each pile in the same colors.  I usually buy my fabrics in 1/2 yard and 1 yard sizes.  When I've found a print, color or pattern I really like, then I get more (but that's one the second trip to the store).  My favorite place is the remnants.  After a sale, I try to go back often in order to find the ones I like.  I know they'll be there, because I'm the one that bought at the bottom of the bolt and there should be a remnant made of what was left.

Comments

Kris said:

Very nice cupboard and so well organised. Thanks for sharing your strategy with us. I'm just starting to buy remnants/scrap bags. So much fun.

# August 27, 2010 4:35 PM

Nana said:

Nice organization tips and I love the cupboard.  I usually by in 3yd quanities and then what is left over is placed into scrap bags.

# August 27, 2010 9:27 PM

gini said:

nice organizing.   gini

# August 27, 2010 10:42 PM

Roxanna said:

Love the organized cupboard. I have such a tiny house it's difficult to be organized.

Nana, I by in 3yds increments also. I learned that sometimes 1-2yds isn't enough.

# August 28, 2010 9:23 AM

Isabella said:

I really like the cupboard.Unfortunately I do live in a small apartment so right now I have boxes full of fabric at the bottom of one of the guest room closet.

I will think about starting to buy at 3 yds increment right now I was more for the fat quarters.

# August 30, 2010 8:52 PM

Joy said:

Love the organization! I just spent 4 hours cleaning and organizing my sewing room. Right now I am using a bookshelf to hold my fabrics but I have to keep it covered to keep them from fading. I have been thinking about going to a habitat for humanity store or the like to purchase cupboards cheaply for my fabrics. Is that glass in the cupboard doors? Will it stop the fading?

# September 5, 2010 9:47 AM

Hannatine said:

Hi Joy - the cupboard is Birch with solid doors. My husband is a cabinet maker and made this for me and my other cupboard that sits below it.  You might try Goodwill or a kitchen liquidators type store for used cabinets.

# September 6, 2010 9:46 PM

Joy said:

Thanks! I will check into those places!

# September 12, 2010 11:24 AM