Life as a Greenmonstr

Quilting and Other Facts of Life

A mystery no more

Well, Mystery Quilt V is finally finished!  It was a learning experience.  This was the first time I have made a quilt full of blocks made up of entirely bias edges.  For the most part they didn't stretch too much; I was careful not to play around with them.  However, there were a couple that were a little out of control.

I don't have much room in my sewing space, so I unfolded my cardboard table protecctor and placed it on my cutting table.  I needed the space to be bigger than my cutting table, so I supported the cardboard with the end of my ironing board and the top of the computer chair.  Basically, this imprisoned me at my sewing machine.  I arranged all my blocks and my sashing squares.  I thought it all looked pretty good so I went about putting it together.  I actually had to leave the room and come into the room from the other end to access the first row of blocks.  Somehow in the process I got the second row of blocks mixed up a little but oh well.  I didn't notice until I was showing my husband the first two rows put together and he said "those two blocks are pretty similar to each other."  Darn.  I left it that way, though.

Today I did the bottom half and the borders.  The bottom half went swimmingly, I must say.  I put the two halves together and added the top and bottom borders without incident.   I had to join two strips of fabric for the long borders, so I moved my needle position.  Unfortunately I forgot to put it back for my 1/4-inch seam so I sewed the entire long border with a too-wide seam allowance.  I ended up ripping out a five-foot seam.  Nice.  Not a happy moment. 

Anyway, I guess it came out alright in the end.  I'm not entirely happy with it but it works.  My husband doesn't really like it - he gave it the look that says "I don't want to say I don't like it, but I don't want to lie either" followed by a little nod.  He is very wise sometimes.  Anyway, without further ado, here it is:

 A couple of close-ups:

Tentatively I am calling it "A Cup of Tea by the Water" because the jelly roll was the Green Tea Bali Pop and the blue reminds me of the water.  I will be using the dark blue parts of the jelly roll for the binding once I quilt it. 

It was fun and a learning experience.  Thanks to Sandy for being our fearless leader!

 

Comments

Flojo said:

Ok, so maybe it dosen't knock your or your husbands socks off but it is a very pretty quilt. If you don't care for it I'm sure someone whom you love would love to have it. And you both can feel good.

# December 9, 2011 9:12 PM