Life as a Greenmonstr

Quilting and Other Facts of Life

Just not in the mood, I guess, but I learned something anyway

I have done no sewing this week.  I did learn something, however.  I needed more thread to quilt the last two NICU quilts and I was having a problem with the top thread showing on the bottom of the quilt sandwich, even at a pretty high tension.  I was puzzled, since my machine (Viking Platinum) had just had a tune-up a month or so ago.  I took my test sample to the sewing shop and they pointed out to me that the top thread was a lighter weight than the bottom thread and it was pulling down on it.  I never would have thought about that.  I have a lot of bobbins wound but they seem to wander away from their parents very easily (I have the cat to thank for that) and I was looking at the color not the weight.  Live and learn!  I vow that I will wind a new bobbin from now on, and find a way to keep them from wandering off.  Attention to detail is very important!




Denise_Oregon said:

My mom taught me to only use bobbins that matched the thread when sewing so that I wouldn't have tension issues.  I now keep my sewing thread with the bobbin by cutting a drinking straw taller that the spool of thread and place it through the hole in the middle and the bobbin sits right on the top keeping spool and bobbin together at all times.  Works great.  I used to use a q-tip stuck down in the spool with the bobbin sitting on what stuck out, but the straw is cleaner - less fuzzy!

# September 26, 2011 4:17 PM

greenmonstr said:

That's a great idea! I am going to try that one.  Easy and inexpensive...can't beat that!

# September 26, 2011 5:26 PM

NonnieConnie said:

 This is the first Ive heard of this and it makes so much sence..thank you

# September 26, 2011 6:57 PM