December Member Survey: Have you ever taken a quilting vacation?

We want to know: Have you ever taken a quilting vacation? If so, what did you quilt and where did you go?

Have you traveled specifically for quilting? We want to hear about it!

To participate in this month's survey, simply scroll down and post your answer in the "Add a Comment" box below. If your comment is chosen for our Easy Quilts Quilters Club of America Notes you will receive a $10 gift certificate to ShopFonsandPorter.com.

Comments

kquinn2166 wrote re: December Member Survey: Have you ever taken a quilting vacation?
on Tuesday, 26 November 2013, 2:44 PM

I have made four different quilts at Camp Patch A Watcher at the Vanguard University in Costa Mesa, CA last July.  There were games and activities in the evenings and workshops during the day.  It was my first time there and I had a blast.  I learned thread painting, appliques, and a curvy cuts landscaping design.  There were other types of quilting workshops that you can choose.  There is a mystery quilt class, binding, or individual one-on-one with a experienced quilter.

gini wrote re: December Member Survey: Have you ever taken a quilting vacation?
on Tuesday, 26 November 2013, 4:59 PM

many times

Quiltedknitter wrote re: December Member Survey: Have you ever taken a quilting vacation?
on Wednesday, 27 November 2013, 2:18 AM

Every year my quilt guild holds a retreat in Northern California.  The retreat lasts 4 days.  Since the location is an hour and a half from home, I call it a vacation.

Susan L. Earl wrote re: December Member Survey: Have you ever taken a quilting vacation?
on Thursday, 28 November 2013, 3:56 PM

Twice a year three of us get together at a rented cabin to quilt, quilt, quilt. Meals are pre-planned to allow for maximum quilt time. We all work on our projects and share tools, techniques and fabric. Music and coffee are always on and there are sure to be chocolate treats too. Fun times.

Karla wrote re: December Member Survey: Have you ever taken a quilting vacation?
on Friday, 29 November 2013, 11:07 AM

Yes, I've gone to a couple of quilt retreats, one in Branson and one on the Oregon Coast.  That's as close to a vacation as I've had in the 7 years I've been retired.

cpoodle wrote re: December Member Survey: Have you ever taken a quilting vacation?
on Sunday, 1 December 2013, 6:29 AM

Went to my first Quilters Retreat in September and made 2 quilts.  It was LOTS of fun, met interesting people and ate WAY too much.

djtomist wrote re: December Member Survey: Have you ever taken a quilting vacation?
on Sunday, 1 December 2013, 6:40 AM

Yes, the Monday Sewing Bee have gone to Williamsburg, VA three times in the last four years.  A couple of us have timeshares that you use or loose a week...so we book it and about 8 of us go.  Usually only two of us stay the whole time and the others come either for the day or to stay a night or two.  We go to a couple of quilt shops that are there and sew all day long...into the night...when we are not EATING!!!

Cheryl wrote re: December Member Survey: Have you ever taken a quilting vacation?
on Sunday, 1 December 2013, 6:58 AM

December Member Survey: Have you ever taken a quilting vacation?

I go yearly with a group from Marlette, MI to Shipshewana, IN for a 4 day retreat of quilting and fun. This is where the majority of ladies get up early, stay late, and sew all day and into the night. ( there are a few who actually sew ALL  night)!We finish projects, work on new projects, and make new friends. There are usually 50+ ladies at the event. We stay at a conference center that provides the rooms, breakfast, and conference rooms with tables and all we need to just enjoy talking and sewing. April 2014 we are getting a larger conference room as the group has outgrown our usual location. I recommend anyone who hasn't done a retreat to consider it. They are fun and MUCH work actually gets accomplished.

basketbear wrote re: December Member Survey: Have you ever taken a quilting vacation?
on Sunday, 1 December 2013, 7:27 AM

I will be attending my FIRST quilt retreat next month!  However, on every vacation we take, I visit as many quilt (and yarn) shops as we can find in the area or along the driving routes.  I always come home with special fabrics, notions and patterns I haven't seen at my local shop.

ktm423 wrote re: December Member Survey: Have you ever taken a quilting vacation?
on Sunday, 1 December 2013, 8:13 AM

No but it looks like it would be fun

KarenCy wrote re: December Member Survey: Have you ever taken a quilting vacation?
on Sunday, 1 December 2013, 8:15 AM

Over the last 10 years I have made 27 quilts from start to finish, but I have never taken a quilting vacation. If I did, the location would have to be over an hour from my home. I always wanted to take a quilting cruise.

Eileen Keane wrote re: December Member Survey: Have you ever taken a quilting vacation?
on Sunday, 1 December 2013, 8:22 AM

I've started planning long weekends with quilting friends at my timeshare. They're like mini retreats.

tdbowen5 wrote re: December Member Survey: Have you ever taken a quilting vacation?
on Sunday, 1 December 2013, 8:47 AM

My friend Nancy and I went on a "quilter's retreat" at my camper. At the time my camper was at a Christian campground all the time. We quilted while we watched DVDs or listend to CDs! 10 days of quilting and girl talk!! We had a great time.

Leiann wrote re: December Member Survey: Have you ever taken a quilting vacation?
on Sunday, 1 December 2013, 9:10 AM

Yes, every spring and fall our local quilt shop hosts a 4 day retreat.  We have a lot of fun sewing, eating, and learning from others as well!

fzytwo wrote re: December Member Survey: Have you ever taken a quilting vacation?
on Sunday, 1 December 2013, 9:25 AM

Never have.  I would love to do a quilting vacation, especially the cruises I have read about.  Maybe when all the baby birds have flown the nest.

cjmont2002 wrote re: December Member Survey: Have you ever taken a quilting vacation?
on Sunday, 1 December 2013, 9:53 AM

i never have taken a quilting vacation but i would love to some day.

ronnie17 wrote re: December Member Survey: Have you ever taken a quilting vacation?
on Sunday, 1 December 2013, 9:58 AM

No  but it is on my bucket list!

pioneerwoman120537 wrote re: December Member Survey: Have you ever taken a quilting vacation?
on Sunday, 1 December 2013, 10:18 AM

I have never taken an actual quilting vacation; but, have recently driven to Oregon from BC as vacation.  It was a fantastic trip.  We included quilting shops along the coast and discovered a quaint quilting shop where the owner makes landscape quilts of Oregon coast lighthouses.  She offer classes so others can create these beautiful quilts, displays them on the walls and sells all the patterns and supplies one requires to create them.  I bought a landscape lighthouse quilt pattern book and another pattern kit for a wall hanging.

Tina Sheppard wrote re: December Member Survey: Have you ever taken a quilting vacation?
on Sunday, 1 December 2013, 12:02 PM

Not yet, but I keep bringing it up to my husband. He is very suportave of my quilting. Since I am a new quilter I figure that it is only a matter of time. :)

melinda in tulsa wrote re: December Member Survey: Have you ever taken a quilting vacation?
on Sunday, 1 December 2013, 12:54 PM

No, I haven't had the opportunity, but hopefully, some day.

Charyl Garman wrote re: December Member Survey: Have you ever taken a quilting vacation?
on Sunday, 1 December 2013, 1:13 PM

I have been on several retreats, but though my husband and I travel, have not purposed to go on a quilting trip we still manage to visit several shops during our travels from which I try to buy some fabric that is unique to the area or at least representative of the area. Unfortunately I have not made quilts of those fabrics yet, however there is always tomorrow.

Beverly Shepard wrote re: December Member Survey: Have you ever taken a quilting vacation?
on Sunday, 1 December 2013, 1:53 PM

No, I have never taken a quilting vacation.

Susan wrote re: December Member Survey: Have you ever taken a quilting vacation?
on Sunday, 1 December 2013, 2:04 PM

No, I have never taken a quilting vacation. Would love to, but they cost more than my budget allows.

jobart@q.com wrote re: December Member Survey: Have you ever taken a quilting vacation?
on Sunday, 1 December 2013, 2:35 PM

No I haven't taken one yet there is always hope in the coming year.

lindawwww wrote re: December Member Survey: Have you ever taken a quilting vacation?
on Sunday, 1 December 2013, 3:33 PM

No, but it's something I'd love to do!

debbiemoser wrote re: December Member Survey: Have you ever taken a quilting vacation?
on Sunday, 1 December 2013, 3:46 PM

No, I never have. I would love to take one though.

janld wrote re: December Member Survey: Have you ever taken a quilting vacation?
on Sunday, 1 December 2013, 3:49 PM

No, unfortunately not. Would love to. What's a vacation? :)

loki wrote re: December Member Survey: Have you ever taken a quilting vacation?
on Sunday, 1 December 2013, 3:52 PM

Not yet but I'm planning on it for the future.  I'm hoping to go to Ireland and Alaska for the quilting tours.

swalker287 wrote re: December Member Survey: Have you ever taken a quilting vacation?
on Sunday, 1 December 2013, 5:04 PM

Several years ago my husband suggested I go to Quilt Hawaii on the island of Maui.  Because of the location, I didn't feel guilty leaving him alone all day.  He even accompanied me to a couple quilt stores after the event.  I took fun classes in thread painting, sashiko, and making blocks with many bias pieces.  I also go on 3-day quilt retreats with my mini group.  We do a lot of talking, laughing,  and eating.  Oh, and yes, some sewing too.

Linny wrote re: December Member Survey: Have you ever taken a quilting vacation?
on Sunday, 1 December 2013, 5:29 PM

My guild holds a rustic retreat in January where we sew, quilt, eat, get a message, walk in the woods and maybe get some sleep on a bottom bunk! It is such a great getaway from Thursday through Sunday afternoon. I get lots done and also get some great ideas from looking at what others are working on. We help each other plan, layout, ohh and ahh as the work gets hung up on lines strung around the very large gym we are in.  Great place to lay out a quilt for basting-lots of room!

MICHELLES-2 wrote re: December Member Survey: Have you ever taken a quilting vacation?
on Sunday, 1 December 2013, 5:35 PM

Yes, I consider the annual trip to Road to California, with my girlfriends, a vacation.  We spend a few nights together away from husbands, taking classes, playing and bonding.  Isn't that what a vacation is all about?

sassysilver wrote re: December Member Survey: Have you ever taken a quilting vacation?
on Sunday, 1 December 2013, 5:36 PM

Yes, I went on a quilting vacation over Columbus Day Weekend. What my quilting group did was travel to Fremont,New Hampshire. We have a former member who lives there. She got her housing area's community center for us. We quilted, shopped--Pinecone Quilting--yeah! We even drove over to Hampton Beach and enjoyed the ocean--crisp air and sun. People were actually surfing! It was a little bit of heaven. There is nothing like it!

nguido@stny.rr.com wrote re: December Member Survey: Have you ever taken a quilting vacation?
on Sunday, 1 December 2013, 6:28 PM

I have not taken a quilting vacation.  However I did take a quilt project and my machine on vacation.  I was able to quilt while my husband was golfing.  Even better my neighbor in the condo is also a quilter!  A quilt project completed and a new friendship.  What could be better.  Oh yes, we were at the beach!

SHARONM-26 wrote re: December Member Survey: Have you ever taken a quilting vacation?
on Sunday, 1 December 2013, 7:20 PM

I travel to quilt for charity every month. I also travel to get to my guild meetings every month. I travel about 50 miles round trip for each of these events.

Sewlove2create wrote re: December Member Survey: Have you ever taken a quilting vacation?
on Sunday, 1 December 2013, 7:40 PM

No I haven't, but it is on my bucket list. I would love to do one of the cruises.

Judi wrote re: December Member Survey: Have you ever taken a quilting vacation?
on Sunday, 1 December 2013, 10:05 PM

I have had an heirloom sewing vaca, but not a real quilting one. I always find quilting shops wherever I travel! M

JANETN-7 wrote re: December Member Survey: Have you ever taken a quilting vacation?
on Sunday, 1 December 2013, 11:10 PM

No, I have never taken a trip specifically for quilting but would love to. I just retired last year and that is on my "bucket list".

Jill Voyles wrote re: December Member Survey: Have you ever taken a quilting vacation?
on Monday, 2 December 2013, 4:57 AM

Yes.  I took the first Fons and Porter quilting cruise!  It was fantastic!  I hope to do another quilting  cruise in the near future.

Susycue wrote re: December Member Survey: Have you ever taken a quilting vacation?
on Monday, 2 December 2013, 10:40 AM

Last month I went away for a week to my timeshare in the Shenandoah Valley of Virginia for the express purpose of working on my 3 unfinished quilt projects.  I went alone and took my crockpot, recipes, and all the ingredients for all my meals so I wouldn't have to spend a lot of time cooking.  I promised myself I would not do any tourist things other than go for a walk every day.  The condo they assigned me had a huge living room so I could spread out my pieces on the floor and arrange them to my liking and leave them on the floor and still walk around.  I also had a large dining table on which to put my sewing machine and tools.  There was a kitchen counter at the right height for the little ironing board that came with the condo.  I took with me 1) a quilt top, 2) enough blocks for a top, 3) a bunch of cut pieces to assemble, and all the batting, border fabrics, etc. to complete them.  I got #1 half hand-quilted, #2 ready to hand-quilt, and #3 ready to sandwich (ran out of safety pins).  I was so pleased with how much I got done that I had a day left at the end of the week, so I visited the Virginia Quilt Museum in Harrisonburg -- it was wonderful!

Carol wrote re: December Member Survey: Have you ever taken a quilting vacation?
on Monday, 2 December 2013, 3:31 PM

Yes, I have traveled to attend retreats in three or four different places. I brought home not quite finished quilts from each one.  I have traveled to visit Sisters Quilt Show where I bought fabric.  I have traveled with a friend to the Paducah Quilt Show. We made a real trip of it starting off in Nashville.

Michelle wrote re: December Member Survey: Have you ever taken a quilting vacation?
on Monday, 2 December 2013, 4:37 PM

This past July myself and 3 quilting buddies traveled to Hershey PA for 2 days of shop hopping and to attend the Hershey Quilt show  where we personally made some vendors cash boxes a bit fuller!. We managed to squeeze in going to Burkholders before heading to the Convention Center. The night of the quilt show it poured just as we arrived at our hotel!  We went to Olive Garden for dinner. We ended up skipping the pool (too many little kids to be relaxing!), besides we were beat after walking all day. Sunday morning we went to Hershey Chocolate factory for a little taste of Hershey.  On the way home we stopped at Hancock fabrics and spend a little :) more!  Cant wait to do it again!!

cw3621 wrote re: December Member Survey: Have you ever taken a quilting vacation?
on Monday, 2 December 2013, 7:53 PM

This year my husband and I went to Paducah, Kentucky and hit all the hot quilting spots.  Then we drove the Kentucky Quilt Barn Trail.  It got him all excited about putting a block on our barn.  The National Quilt Museum was also a lovely stop.  Great trip!!!

jmrb wrote re: December Member Survey: Have you ever taken a quilting vacation?
on Monday, 2 December 2013, 11:33 PM

I've taken quilting vacations as part of other trips.  Was able to work in Quilting Together in Chicago and Block Party in Williamsburg, VA as well as a quilt cruise.  Lots of fun!

bec02 wrote re: December Member Survey: Have you ever taken a quilting vacation?
on Wednesday, 4 December 2013, 12:35 AM

I've gone to two quilting retreats...each lasted 3 days.  I went to Santa Claus, Indiana and Jasper, Indiana.  I worked on a baby quilt, Christmas tree skirt with matching table runner and coasters, and a twin size Dresden Flower Garden quilt.

shdbdunlndry wrote re: December Member Survey: Have you ever taken a quilting vacation?
on Wednesday, 4 December 2013, 9:40 AM

Every year in October I take my mother in law( yes we actually get along!) to Arkansas.  I leave my husband with the five kids and she leaves her husband with a bunch of left overs.  We started out as a bus trip to War Eagle.  It has now grown to leaving on Thursday early morning and returning on Sunday late evening.  We leave my house and shop our way there.  What is normally a two hour trip last year took us 11.5 hours.  We now have a map of every quilt and antique store along the way and around the area.  She pays for the gas and I use my vehicle and do all the driving.  We take turns buying lunch and we also get a room with double queens with continental breakfast.  Do this allows us to go an very affordable vacation.  We shop till we're tired and then we retire to the room to talk and quilt.  She had never spent a night away from her husband, but on our last trip she told me it was the best present I had ever given her and believe it or not her husband actually supports her getting away for a few days for some girl time and both of our husbands love the fact that we are together so they don't have to worry about us.  My kids however can not wait for us to return....Dad was grumpy, dad made us clean....lol...I think they are more appreciative when I return....kids and husband included.

laura-g wrote re: December Member Survey: Have you ever taken a quilting vacation?
on Wednesday, 4 December 2013, 6:41 PM

Yes, Three of us cousins met at one house to quilt for the week i was visiting. We quilt and catch up on family and eat and laugh till late in the evening!

Cindy wrote re: December Member Survey: Have you ever taken a quilting vacation?
on Friday, 6 December 2013, 9:28 AM

No, although I travel quite a bit and visit as many quilt shops as possible in my wandering.

jehrlich wrote re: December Member Survey: Have you ever taken a quilting vacation?
on Friday, 6 December 2013, 7:54 PM

no I have not - but one of these days I would like to

Louise Buker wrote re: December Member Survey: Have you ever taken a quilting vacation?
on Friday, 6 December 2013, 9:37 PM

I was able to attend 1 Quilting retreat sponsored by a quilting shop. It was held at a State park Lodge and well attended even though it was about zero outside. I worked on a quilt that I wanted for my guest room. It has 40 different machine embroideried Lighthouses featured on it. I had the embroidery done before I went. While I was there I was able to finish the lighthouse squares and begin donig the 9 patch squares that went with it. Yes I did finish it at home. We also made a tablerunner and a 4 sided placemat, just for fun. There was a lot of sharing of ideas. One lady even had us all singing late one night. The food was great too.

kbaumwart wrote re: December Member Survey: Have you ever taken a quilting vacation?
on Sunday, 8 December 2013, 7:32 PM

Yes, several.  I have been to at least 4 quilt "camps" - quilting retreats at a church camp in the non church camp season and every time we go to Ruidoso, NM I take my machine and quilting projects.  Also the year I turned 70 I took the first Fons and Porter quilting cruise.  The Christmas quilt is on my bed as I write.

Jereena wrote re: December Member Survey: Have you ever taken a quilting vacation?
on Thursday, 12 December 2013, 7:22 AM

No, not even one, but really want to. With a newborn to take care I wonder when it would be possible for me to go on a retreat. Are there any retreats that provide babysitting service?

Sandy wrote re: December Member Survey: Have you ever taken a quilting vacation?
on Sunday, 15 December 2013, 6:47 AM

yes, took my first one in April on Holland cruise line- did an EQ7 class with Ellen Kranz

caroj wrote re: December Member Survey: Have you ever taken a quilting vacation?
on Sunday, 15 December 2013, 7:20 AM

No, I haven't.  They sound lovely, but being "financially challenged", I'll never have a quilting vacation, or indeed, any other kind!

jsinfield wrote re: December Member Survey: Have you ever taken a quilting vacation?
on Sunday, 15 December 2013, 7:38 AM

Attended a Handi Quilters University Retreat/Workshop in North Salt Lake City Utah in September 2013.  It was very enlightening and focused on making the most of your longarm  Many sample min quilts were made.  The focus was on technique and using a longarm.  Beautiful countryside and very knowledgeable instructors.  I plan to go again next year to broaden my knowledge base even more.

Bluegrass&Quilts wrote re: December Member Survey: Have you ever taken a quilting vacation?
on Sunday, 15 December 2013, 7:57 AM

Actually, that's my business!  A friend and I started a small quilting retreat business for UFO's in the New Mexico area!  It's been a great success and we have TONS of fun :)

Dottie Beeching wrote re: December Member Survey: Have you ever taken a quilting vacation?
on Sunday, 15 December 2013, 8:42 AM

Nope, but it's on my bucket list. I retired 3 years ago, and took a quilting class just to see what it was all about. That was when I got the quilting "bug" ! Now, with several quilts finished, a few more in the works, and an impressive (to me) stash, I would like to go on a quilting vacation, or retreat. I live in a remote area, and have little contact with other quilters, so it will have to wait a while, but I intend to experience it at least once !

lrduncan wrote re: December Member Survey: Have you ever taken a quilting vacation?
on Sunday, 15 December 2013, 9:05 AM

I spent three days this last November just working on stuff that was mine!!  Being a long arm quilter I am always quilting for others and it's challenging to get my own projects done.  Spending those three days working on my own projects was refreshing and I was surprised to see what can get done in a concentrated period of time.

sew.goodwitch_crafts@yahoo.com wrote re: December Member Survey: Have you ever taken a quilting vacation?
on Sunday, 15 December 2013, 9:30 AM

Every October for the last 6 years, my sister, my niece, and myself travel to Sedona, AZ for a quilting/sewing weekend. My niece packs up her vehicle with all the sewing/quilting supplies including 3 sewing machines. We sew/quilt, watch movies, shop, eat what we want, and always have one "BIG adventure" every trip. Our adventures have included an off-road 'Pink Jeep' tour, hiking to Cathedral Rock, Zip lining in the Tall pines, taking an off-road jeep trail (exciting but scarey) to the 7 Sacred Pools, and taking some amazing photos in the Lower Antelope Canyon in Page, AZ. The weekend goes by quickly, but we share sewing/quilting tips and some quality time together doing things we enjoy.

gem43 wrote re: December Member Survey: Have you ever taken a quilting vacation?
on Sunday, 15 December 2013, 9:35 AM

No, but not because I haven't wanted to!

Janice Carole wrote re: December Member Survey: Have you ever taken a quilting vacation?
on Sunday, 15 December 2013, 10:26 AM

Yes I have.  I drive approximately 8 hours to a small town named Panguitch, Utah.  I take quilting classes and my husband explores the canyons and lakes.  I have taken friends with me as well.  No one but my is a repeat to this quilt shopping, classes and trunk show event.  For those of you who might be interested it is called the Quilt Walk.  You can google it to find the reason for this annual event.  I am not Mormon, so NO, you do not need to belong to the church organization to have a great time.  You will love walking the town to see all of the quilts displayed in each business.  Plan an extra day to see Bryce Canyon.

Mary L Cohen wrote re: December Member Survey: Have you ever taken a quilting vacation?
on Sunday, 15 December 2013, 10:27 AM

In our guild we have a Spring and a Fall Retreat that takes me away by a lake at one and in the mountains for the other.  They are about and hour away from my home but while I am there I am very productive as I prepare all my cutting in advance of going and therefore I can sew all day and night if I want too!  My dream is to go on a quilt cruse and enjoy the sailing and sewing!  It will happen one day.

bsb1940@yahoo.com wrote re: December Member Survey: Have you ever taken a quilting vacation?
on Sunday, 15 December 2013, 10:44 AM

I made a joint sighting seeing vacation trip to the Lancaster County area in Pennsylvania.  We visited the Old Country Store Quilt Museum and many local shops.  In addition we got to see the Amish community and learn about their culture.  Quilting can open many diverse windows.  The Amish ladies showed me their typical log cabin quilts and I returned home and made one of my own.

Bjmerritt2 wrote re: December Member Survey: Have you ever taken a quilting vacation?
on Sunday, 15 December 2013, 11:20 AM

For the past 10 years, my husband and I have spent 2 weeks at Cape Hatteras with my sister and brother-in-law.  While the guys fish, we quilt!  Last year we each made a Derek Lockwood quilt, and this year we worked on a Christmas Block of the month.  It is amazing to see how our choice of colors and fabrics reflect our individual personalities in our quilts.  Can't wait to see what we come up with for 2014!

scott3508@netins.net wrote re: December Member Survey: Have you ever taken a quilting vacation?
on Sunday, 15 December 2013, 11:21 AM

For 6 years my sister-in-law,niece, neighbor and I have went on a long quilting weekend(4 days now). We sew, shop, eat, talk and help each other with whatever project were working on.  We have so much fun and look forward to it every year.  We all seem to accomplish something during our time together.

Fiber Thyme wrote re: December Member Survey: Have you ever taken a quilting vacation?
on Sunday, 15 December 2013, 11:37 AM

Yes!  We traveled to Iowa so I could take a longarm class and visit the Nolting Long Arm Factory.  While in Iowa, we vacationed in the Amana Colonys.  There is a great quilt store there and many on the way and back to Oklahoma City.

Bobbie Blake wrote re: December Member Survey: Have you ever taken a quilting vacation?
on Sunday, 15 December 2013, 12:26 PM

No,  It would be fun knowing what I know now about quilting.

GWENL-2 wrote re: December Member Survey: Have you ever taken a quilting vacation?
on Sunday, 15 December 2013, 1:13 PM

My sister and I went on quilting cruise to Alaska as part of Seminars at Sea. Had a great time and the classes were great.

brat8690@yahoo.com wrote re: December Member Survey: Have you ever taken a quilting vacation?
on Sunday, 15 December 2013, 4:41 PM

No, but it sounds like a good idea.

Leila wrote re: December Member Survey: Have you ever taken a quilting vacation?
on Sunday, 15 December 2013, 5:36 PM

I attend the International Quilt Festival every year. I take classes and look at the great entries and exhibits and always come back recharged. I've also attended the quilt show in Birmingham, England, as part of a 3-week vacation in Britain.

Sher wrote re: December Member Survey: Have you ever taken a quilting vacation?
on Sunday, 15 December 2013, 5:44 PM

At least 4 times a year 8 friends get together and take our 'vacation'.  We go to a retreat and sew and talk and laugh (and sometimes even cry).  We work on whatever we want to do.  We help each other and have a great time.  It is a wonderful break from our everyday life and we go home totally refreshed and planning on the next trip.

Amama45 wrote re: December Member Survey: Have you ever taken a quilting vacation?
on Monday, 16 December 2013, 8:54 AM

No but I really want to go. But having my daughter and her family living with me has really put a strain on any trips or extras. I hope to go this coming year 2014.

maggiojudy wrote re: December Member Survey: Have you ever taken a quilting vacation?
on Monday, 16 December 2013, 10:45 AM

Quilting vacations are the only kind I get to take...but, if I did get to go somewhere I can't believe I would not stop at a quilt shop.

Kathleen Gabhart wrote re: December Member Survey: Have you ever taken a quilting vacation?
on Monday, 16 December 2013, 11:51 AM

I have never taken a "Quilt vacation" but I always have a quilting project to take with me when I go on vacation.

wandagresko wrote re: December Member Survey: Have you ever taken a quilting vacation?
on Monday, 16 December 2013, 11:26 PM

I've never had a chance to take a quilter's retreat, but would love to with my sisters who also quilt and live in Georgia.

Judy wrote re: December Member Survey: Have you ever taken a quilting vacation?
on Tuesday, 17 December 2013, 3:29 PM

All of my vacations include quilting, be it a shop, a quilt show or museum.  My travel organizer (my husband) always finds a quilt show to attend in the area we are going and then prepares an itinerary to include it, along with any quilt shops along the way.  While travelling I always find inspiration and new ideas for more quilts.

on Wednesday, 18 December 2013, 12:30 PM

That would be my fondest wish. I have not had a vacation in over 30 years

ktdid wrote re: December Member Survey: Have you ever taken a quilting vacation?
on Wednesday, 18 December 2013, 3:38 PM

I haven't but would like to. The closest one to where I live that I have heard of is in Shipshewana IN (I'm in Ohio) and from the description of the facilities, think it would really be a vacation. I don't belong to nor do I know of a quilt quild in my area and know no one to partner with. I have a very comfortable wehicle but cannot drive that far alone. I suffer from the results of hitting the side of a mountain in West Virginia a decade ago. The worst thing was it was on the first day of my vacation to see my son and his wife in Virginia.It would be a great way for me to learn from others as I'm basically self-taught. Our local quilt shop went out of business a few months ago before I could take more than a beginner's class.

Patty Ann wrote re: December Member Survey: Have you ever taken a quilting vacation?
on Friday, 20 December 2013, 11:23 PM

Every year, three of us attend "Quilting Around Chautauqua" at Chautauqua Institute, in Chautauqua, Ny.  There are classes on Friday.  Also, thru the weekend there are well known quest speakers.  In our spare time, we try to go to all the buildings on the grounds which have many quilts displayed and many vendors.  Since we stay right on the grounds at the Antheneum Hotel for three days(meals included) we are free to enjoy every minute.  We leave with many new ideas and merchandise.

Carolyn wrote re: December Member Survey: Have you ever taken a quilting vacation?
on Tuesday, 24 December 2013, 8:44 AM

No but I would live to! The closest I have come, is a trip to Houston, Texas. We just missed the shop hop, so my DH found the addresses of all the shops and we made sure to visit them all while we were there. This was no small feat as this was almost 10 years ago when everyone did not have websites.

Judi wrote re: December Member Survey: Have you ever taken a quilting vacation?
on Tuesday, 24 December 2013, 4:05 PM

I haven't been on an actual quilting vacation, but I have been to Martha Pullen's School of Art Fashion.  I took two day classes from Sue Pennington Stewart who has won several prizes including one or two at Houston.  I took her Heirloom quilt class as well as a quick trapunto class.  Now I really would live a quilting cruise!

kjoy25 wrote re: December Member Survey: Have you ever taken a quilting vacation?
on Sunday, 29 December 2013, 1:15 PM

My first quilting vacation was a 50th birthday gift from my husband! I went to Quilting In The Desert in January held in Phoenix, Arizona. I escaped grey cold Cincinnati, Ohio!

I took three classes that first year. I took a paper piecing class "Surprisingly Red" with Jacqueline de Jonge (still a UFO);  Fabulous Fusible Flowers "Sunflower" with Melinda Bula (also a UFO, I am afraid to try her Renegade Thread Play and chance wrecking the already beautiful wall hanging.); and Stack the Deck "Crazy Quilt" with Karla Alexander (I finished this one as a queen sized bed quilt and made a shower stall size quilt.)

I have since gone back again and added a second week to enjoy the weather and continue working on the projects I had started during classes. I am so glad to combine my hobby and cure for lack of sunshine in the midst of cold dreary days.