October Member Survey: Do you have a favorite quilt block? What is it?

We want to know: Do you have a favorite quilt block? What is it?

Do you have a go to quilt block that you use over and over in your quilts? If you do, we would like to know what it is and why it is your favorite quilt block. To participate in this month's survey, simply scroll down and post your answer in the "Add a Comment" box below. If your comment is chosen for our Easy Quilts Quilters Club of America Notes you will receive a $10 gift certificate to ShopFonsandPorter.com.

Comments

Carmel wrote re: October Member Survey: Do you have a favorite quilt block? What is it?
on Friday, 27 September 2013, 4:22 PM

My favorite block is the OHIO STAR. I just think this block is so outstanding. I have used it in many quilts. I made this block in my very first quilt that was a sampler quilt, the entire quilt was cut with scissors and sewn by hand no sewing machine, and the first quilt I hand quilted.  It is still my favorite quilt of the many quilts I have made.

Denise Smart wrote re: October Member Survey: Do you have a favorite quilt block? What is it?
on Friday, 27 September 2013, 10:14 PM

My favorite block is the log cabin block. It is so versatile.

Nightengale wrote re: October Member Survey: Do you have a favorite quilt block? What is it?
on Saturday, 28 September 2013, 10:16 AM

I love the versatility of the Ohio Star block. Just as with the 5-yard quilt pattern, color choice and block size create endless possibilities.

Dante4043 wrote re: October Member Survey: Do you have a favorite quilt block? What is it?
on Saturday, 28 September 2013, 6:42 PM

Favorite block is the Drunkard's path.  Love the options!

Jenia wrote re: October Member Survey: Do you have a favorite quilt block? What is it?
on Sunday, 29 September 2013, 1:14 AM

No, I don't have a favorite.  I think any block can look spectacular with the right fabric and co'or choices.  So many quilters can do wonderful things even with the simplicity of squares in a 9-patch block or postage stamp quilt.  All blocks have the potential for greatness, they just need to right eye for color.  I haven't seen a block I don't like - I can see possibilities in them all.

erindipity wrote re: October Member Survey: Do you have a favorite quilt block? What is it?
on Sunday, 29 September 2013, 12:35 PM

Ohio Star is my go to block but since learning how to make a Dresden Plate, it is now my favorite!

scharleyquilter wrote re: October Member Survey: Do you have a favorite quilt block? What is it?
on Sunday, 29 September 2013, 10:22 PM

I really don't have one block as a favorite but my first quilt was the snowball block (lil did I know then about all the small triangles that I would be cutting by hand as a beginner) My second was the Ohio Star and I loved the finished out come. I have made several quick quilts with my own twist on the big block with rail fence block.  I love the way the more intricate blocks look but haven't dared to venture there yet.....I have made a few with the bear claw block that I love because I'm also a bear collector.

chocake2 wrote re: October Member Survey: Do you have a favorite quilt block? What is it?
on Monday, 30 September 2013, 7:56 PM

You mean I have to pick just one!?? No way!

For piecing I love a modified Ohio Star with 4 patch corners that i found in a book ages ago (No idea what it's called). It's a big block, easy to strip piece and I can dash out a big complex looking quilt in just one weekend with it. A simple change in color/value placement changes the whole thing!

And I've always been enamoured with a traditional Pickle Dish, but I'm not sure I'll ever be brave enough to tackle all of those diamonds. Does Lone Star count as a block?

For applique...gosh, that's a whole nuther ballgame. Whig Rose is sure pretty.

caroj wrote re: October Member Survey: Do you have a favorite quilt block? What is it?
on Tuesday, 1 October 2013, 7:41 AM

I like any design made with hexagons!

Michele R wrote re: October Member Survey: Do you have a favorite quilt block? What is it?
on Tuesday, 1 October 2013, 8:13 AM

Mariner's Compass, hands down.  For a long time it was the log cabin block since it is so versatile with many variations. I guess I've "grown" in ability (as opposed to "in width").  :)

Beverly Shepard wrote re: October Member Survey: Do you have a favorite quilt block? What is it?
on Tuesday, 1 October 2013, 8:58 AM

I have three favorite blocks--Churn Dash, Mariner's Compass and Log Cabin.

cecirons wrote re: October Member Survey: Do you have a favorite quilt block? What is it?
on Tuesday, 1 October 2013, 9:15 AM

The log Cabin and Pineapple Blocks are my favorites!

LYNNEM-5 wrote re: October Member Survey: Do you have a favorite quilt block? What is it?
on Tuesday, 1 October 2013, 11:05 AM

Dutchmans puzzle

Serina wrote re: October Member Survey: Do you have a favorite quilt block? What is it?
on Tuesday, 1 October 2013, 12:31 PM

I don't really have a favorite block. I like the log cabin block, but I prefer to just go where my fabric takes me!  I think that if you listen enough, the fabric will tell you what to make... Hence, I have a big PhD pile, but my 'Done' pile is getting bigger too!

Eliana18 wrote re: October Member Survey: Do you have a favorite quilt block? What is it?
on Tuesday, 1 October 2013, 2:49 PM

Sawtooth star with churn dash a close second.

rnlasha wrote re: October Member Survey: Do you have a favorite quilt block? What is it?
on Tuesday, 1 October 2013, 6:36 PM

I have many favorite blocks, but one that is at the top of my list is the Goshen Star.  It reminds me of my mom.  She was born in Goshen, IN.  Yes, she was Amish. Sadly, I lost her a couple of years ago.  She always talked about growing up in IN, so I love that block.

lindawwww wrote re: October Member Survey: Do you have a favorite quilt block? What is it?
on Wednesday, 2 October 2013, 1:43 PM

My favourite quilt block is the feathered star.  I love using a scrappy look for this block.

memoose wrote re: October Member Survey: Do you have a favorite quilt block? What is it?
on Wednesday, 2 October 2013, 5:09 PM

I love log cabin blocks. It is so traditional, but so versatile with all the various settings, and so easy. When I need a quilt in a big hurry, I make a  log cabin quilt, usually making it into a star pattern taken from Eleanor Burns "Still Stripping After 25 Years"

Marilyn wrote re: October Member Survey: Do you have a favorite quilt block? What is it?
on Thursday, 3 October 2013, 4:53 PM

My favorite block to use is the Ozark Maple Leaf and any block with stars

on Thursday, 3 October 2013, 4:53 PM

My favorite block to use is the Ozark Maple Leaf and any block with stars

Mary wrote re: October Member Survey: Do you have a favorite quilt block? What is it?
on Thursday, 3 October 2013, 6:11 PM

Hidden Wells is my favorite.  Not sure it's really a block design, but that is what the pattern is called .  It is relatively easy to do, starting with strips, it looks complicated when it is cut apart and put back together.

Cynthia Crady wrote re: October Member Survey: Do you have a favorite quilt block? What is it?
on Thursday, 3 October 2013, 11:34 PM

I have always loved the log cabin blocks because they are so versatile. They can be made in so many different colors and set in so many ways. I also love the Mariners Compass block for their complexity. With the right fabric almost any block can be beautiful!

Maureen wrote re: October Member Survey: Do you have a favorite quilt block? What is it?
on Friday, 4 October 2013, 6:10 PM

I don't have a favourite block because there are too many great ones to explore.

lisa terk wrote re: October Member Survey: Do you have a favorite quilt block? What is it?
on Friday, 4 October 2013, 11:02 PM

Log cabin is my favorite for its simplicity and all its design possibilities. Then is mariner's compass for the appearance of design complexity and its possibilities.

Cindy wrote re: October Member Survey: Do you have a favorite quilt block? What is it?
on Sunday, 6 October 2013, 8:06 AM

my favorite is what I call an "open Star" which is basically a sawtooth star inside a sawtooth star.

JoAnne wrote re: October Member Survey: Do you have a favorite quilt block? What is it?
on Sunday, 6 October 2013, 3:11 PM

Since I first learned about quilting, my favorite quilt block has been the Nine Patch.  It's amazing the different looks you can get with that delightful, simple block.  Though most of my quilts are not using the Nine Patch, I always go back to it.

Dawn wrote re: October Member Survey: Do you have a favorite quilt block? What is it?
on Monday, 7 October 2013, 12:09 PM

I like the Snail's Trail, doesn't look like much until it is togther and then it is super cute.

Linda wrote re: October Member Survey: Do you have a favorite quilt block? What is it?
on Friday, 11 October 2013, 8:01 PM

Actually that's not an easy question to answer all blocks have something in common they either are for someone or their specific for a certain pattern I think mine is the log cabin it's so versatile I'm sure other blocks have the same versatility however with a log cabin the possibilities are endless

Dawn Paoletti wrote re: October Member Survey: Do you have a favorite quilt block? What is it?
on Sunday, 13 October 2013, 10:12 AM

Bear Paw.  It looks good with multiple fabrics and stunning with just two fabrics.

lsstriggo@aol.com wrote re: October Member Survey: Do you have a favorite quilt block? What is it?
on Tuesday, 15 October 2013, 6:46 AM

Log cabin

Susan wrote re: October Member Survey: Do you have a favorite quilt block? What is it?
on Tuesday, 15 October 2013, 7:04 AM

Wow... picking one block is quite the task.  I believe the more traditional blocks have passed the trail of time.  I do not have a favorite, since I use a variety of blocks to create a quilt.

almadsmith@verizon.net wrote re: October Member Survey: Do you have a favorite quilt block? What is it?
on Tuesday, 15 October 2013, 7:12 AM

I love the pinwheel block!  It always draws the eye right to it, regardless of its size or placement in a quilt.  It's a happy block that puts movement in a quilt and at the same time reminds me of the childhood fun of pinwheels.

Wyldr wrote re: October Member Survey: Do you have a favorite quilt block? What is it?
on Tuesday, 15 October 2013, 8:00 AM

My favorite block is Snail's Trail; my iPhone has an app, BlockFab, that shows different arrangements of each block. Some of the ST's look quite exotic. I like Churn Dash just as much as Snail Trail.

on Tuesday, 15 October 2013, 9:13 AM

My favorite quilt block of all time is Log Cabin and all its variations.

bdsagek wrote re: October Member Survey: Do you have a favorite quilt block? What is it?
on Tuesday, 15 October 2013, 9:17 AM

Mariners Compass in all it's variations.  It just grabs the eye whenever you see one.

justjo wrote re: October Member Survey: Do you have a favorite quilt block? What is it?
on Tuesday, 15 October 2013, 9:24 AM

My favorite is whatever block I am currently working with.  Right now that would be the Hunter's Star.

Sue wrote re: October Member Survey: Do you have a favorite quilt block? What is it?
on Tuesday, 15 October 2013, 9:45 AM

My favorite is the log cabin.  It has so many possiblities!  Right now I have a large pieced log cabin that my grandmother pieced on my quilt frame.  She taught me a great deal about quilting.  Hand quilting it is taking me a lot longer than it would have taken her!  She's been gone 2 years now maybe by keeping it on the frame reminds me of her...

Janice Carole wrote re: October Member Survey: Do you have a favorite quilt block? What is it?
on Tuesday, 15 October 2013, 11:53 AM

I love making dresden plates.  It allows the applique that i love along with the creativity my mind needs.  I can vary them in size and color as well as single point or double point.

Mary Sewell wrote re: October Member Survey: Do you have a favorite quilt block? What is it?
on Tuesday, 15 October 2013, 2:38 PM

My favorite quilt blocks are any type of Mariners Compass.  There are so many different styles, I never tire of the construction and the many, many color variations possible.

Bobbie Blake wrote re: October Member Survey: Do you have a favorite quilt block? What is it?
on Tuesday, 15 October 2013, 6:21 PM

I enjoy the nine patch blocks.  You can do so much with them.

fordpicmup51@yahoo.com wrote re: October Member Survey: Do you have a favorite quilt block? What is it?
on Tuesday, 15 October 2013, 6:31 PM

pinwheel, no texas star, no wait crazy quilt, no maybe tumbling blocks, wait wait maybe log cabin   how do you pick just one.   a fabric will usually draw me in and then so i don't lose my chance at using it i buy plenty, then comes the days of dreaming it into a pattern, oh i just love irish chain, but log cabin can be used so many ways.  darn here we go around again     roflol

on Wednesday, 16 October 2013, 8:23 PM

I enjoy making scrappy Dresden Plates of all sizes and all kinds of edges. Now that there is a wedge tool for squares, I will begin to love them, as well.

tnmtgrl wrote re: October Member Survey: Do you have a favorite quilt block? What is it?
on Friday, 18 October 2013, 7:34 AM

My favorite block design is any kind of star, if I had to choose which one it would probably be a toss up between an Ohio Star and the Sawtooth Star.

gingging10 wrote re: October Member Survey: Do you have a favorite quilt block? What is it?
on Friday, 18 October 2013, 7:35 PM

I love the Dresden Plates. Sue

aikong wrote re: October Member Survey: Do you have a favorite quilt block? What is it?
on Wednesday, 23 October 2013, 9:54 PM

My favorite block design too.

[url="www.rctophobby.com/rc-airplanes.html"]remote control planes[/url]

on Wednesday, 23 October 2013, 10:01 PM

hello, i am tim, my favorite block design is animals.

laura-g wrote re: October Member Survey: Do you have a favorite quilt block? What is it?
on Sunday, 27 October 2013, 1:04 PM

I love the Log cabin block, It is an easy block for beginners, depending how you lay out the block it can make shapes with the colors and also can be a great scrappy block, can easily be made in many sizes , and looks harder than it is!  I am not an expert quilter so it is perfect for me,, with stip quilting a great project can be done quickly.

Dianne Koehne wrote re: October Member Survey: Do you have a favorite quilt block? What is it?
on Wednesday, 30 October 2013, 10:51 PM

I have trouble picking just one.  I have done log cabin blocks a lot in quilts, and rail fence.  Now I have progressed to harder blocks.  I love sampler quilts, with all the different blocks.  I like machine applique also.  I just like most quilts. Not so much the artsy and modern.

Winne Peterson wrote re: October Member Survey: Do you have a favorite quilt block? What is it?
on Friday, 22 November 2013, 12:59 PM

I've always loved the Lamoyne Star but never made it because of the difficult seams. Recently, however, I discovered Deb Tucker's rulers (studio180design.net) and now I can't make enough of them. So easy, so quick, no frustration, and precisely accurate at the end! Also, one ruler makes multiple sizes. Thank you, Deb!!

Parky wrote re: October Member Survey: Do you have a favorite quilt block? What is it?
on Saturday, 5 July 2014, 4:53 PM

Log Cabin and New York Beauty. Both have endless possibilities.