We want to know: Where do you look for inspiration for sewing room decorating/organizing ideas? Do you find your sewing room decorating inspiration in quilt magazines, Pinterest, Facebook, or Home Decor Shows? Maybe you have never thought of decorating your sewing room, however, it is probably a room where you spend a lot of your time. Perhaps your friends give you organization and decorating ideas. Let us know how you are being inspired to decorate and organize your sewing room!

To participate in this month's contest, simply scroll down and post your answer in the "Add a Comment" box below. If your comment is chosen for our Easy Quilts Quilters Club of America Notes you will receive a $10 gift certificate to ShopFonsandPorter.com.

Comments

gr8_seamstress wrote re: July Member Survey: Where do you look for inspiration for sewing room decorating/organizing ideas?
on Sunday, 1 July 2012, 9:25 AM

I do not have a specific decor in my sewing room. However I do have many fair ribbons and such adorning my wall. Along with pictures of future projects.

Mimi wrote re: July Member Survey: Where do you look for inspiration for sewing room decorating/organizing ideas?
on Sunday, 1 July 2012, 9:28 AM

I was so excited when authors started writing books about how to organize your stash and notions.  I used the book Creating Your Perfect Quilting Space, by Lois L. Hallock, published by Martingale.  I also use ideas I read on this site and others to help.  But alas, I'm still not as organized as I would like to be.  It seems each project leaves my space in more disarray than the last one.  Most of the time I need to take time to re-organize between projects.

lacy lou wrote re: July Member Survey: Where do you look for inspiration for sewing room decorating/organizing ideas?
on Sunday, 1 July 2012, 9:32 AM

I watch a lot of room makeover tv shows. I also look at the backgrounds/sets of sewing wth nancy, fons & porters tv show and other sewing tv show sets. Any magazines and web sites that show sets or sewing rooms are also helpful. I recently re-designed my sewing room since I needed more space because I always have a quilt that I'm working on plus some sort of apparel item that needs to be sewn. I saw lisa quinn's show where she brought everything she could off the floor space and put it on the wall using shelves galore. Now I have all my notions and fabric up on shelves. The biggest help is going on the web and using ehow to design wall support fictures. and, don't forget quilting and sewing magazine pictures...they're the best! hope i win!

MelodyP MO/KS wrote re: July Member Survey: Where do you look for inspiration for sewing room decorating/organizing ideas?
on Sunday, 1 July 2012, 9:35 AM

My favorite place for inspiration is outside.  The blues and grays of the sky, yellows, reds magenta, and plums of sunset.  Nature puts a pallet together that just can not be beat.  Everything is there, design, colors, and balance.  All you have to do is take a little time to look.

marysavery wrote re: July Member Survey: Where do you look for inspiration for sewing room decorating/organizing ideas?
on Sunday, 1 July 2012, 9:38 AM

I've found several organizing ideas in the woodworking and RC airplane magazines my husband subscribes to.  The decorating ideas, well I haven't re-decorated in several years.  I figure the time and dollars spent improving on what we already like and feel comfortable in can be used quilting!  But, I'm always seeing ideas in the set decorations on TV shows.

bobsie311 wrote re: July Member Survey: Where do you look for inspiration for sewing room decorating/organizing ideas?
on Sunday, 1 July 2012, 9:58 AM

My decor in my sewing room is whatever storage fits in there with room for my cutting table and ironing board.  Since I have a very small house, my sewing room is a very large Tuff Shed, dry walled, with an air conditioner, heaters, and lights.  I love it!

lakehurongal wrote re: July Member Survey: Where do you look for inspiration for sewing room decorating/organizing ideas?
on Sunday, 1 July 2012, 10:19 AM

I used my own training in design to keep chaos and clutter to a minimum in my sewing studio.  I began by incorporating a walk-in closet for fabric, machine lugggage and project storage.  Four re-purposed  extra-deep IKEA bookshelves line one wall.  The opposite wall has hooks and bars to store all manner of templates and gadgets.Thus I eliminated  pegboards and bulletin boards in my studio.  I can see everything at a glance, but can close the door to hide any disarray. Similar bookshelves with glass doors house books, antique sewing items, and especially gorgeous threads and fabrics within the studio itself. No dusting and visually appealing!  I used kitchen cabinets,  drawers and countertops instead of sewing furniture for extra storage and flexible work stations. I think I've saved a fortune on plastic storage bin,s and I always have a "clean slate" in which to design and sew my next quilt. This works for me because while I love stuff like every other sewer, I don't love having to constantly move it, clean around it or always look at it. |As a bonus, hubby never suspects when yet more fabrics arrive!  When I want to be inspired I simply walk into my fabric closet which I call 'The Sewing Basket'.

Teresa wrote re: July Member Survey: Where do you look for inspiration for sewing room decorating/organizing ideas?
on Sunday, 1 July 2012, 10:34 AM

I have my sewing and surger tables both set up so I can see out my window. I love having the sunlight come through and see the desert across the street. I focus well with my music playing in the background. The walls in my sewing room are my most favorite color, light yellow. All this combined makes for my inspiration and my favorite place in my home.

shanemcmurray wrote re: July Member Survey: Where do you look for inspiration for sewing room decorating/organizing ideas?
on Sunday, 1 July 2012, 10:41 AM

I live in a 5th wheel so I don't have a "room". My quilting instructor showed me her quilting room with all of the storage bins marked and sorted! So I would have to say my instructor!

Pam wrote re: July Member Survey: Where do you look for inspiration for sewing room decorating/organizing ideas?
on Sunday, 1 July 2012, 11:06 AM

I have designed my sewing "studio", (extra bedroom transformed to den of fabric hoard), by looking at magazines, and my favorite quilt shops in and around the Pacific NW.

The shop owners really know how to excite your creativity. I love the inspiration I get when I walk into a shop and see a display of coordinating fabrics, a completed project made from the, and the furnishings, books, patterns, classes all displayed to please the quilter's eye!

In my room, I try and replicate that first impression by massing my fabrics, pattern and some decor to remind me of that initial feeling I got - when I store my projects so I don't forget what I intended to do!

My wall colors are from a toy shop I saw on the Oregon Coast! One wall is vibrant teal-aqua blue; one is spring green (chartreuse-ish) and one is a dusky but rich purple! The last wall is windows with white shelving above it- and white shelving, bookcases, cutting table and a desk are the rest. The toy store owner said she got that color scheme from a pro designer that said this color combo excites creativity....IT DOES! I am always energized, excited and serene in my little haven!

Susan wrote re: July Member Survey: Where do you look for inspiration for sewing room decorating/organizing ideas?
on Sunday, 1 July 2012, 11:21 AM

I have a dear friend in Florida who has the perfect quilting studio - large table with enough room for 6 quilters to gather around and use, an 8'x4' cutting table with drawers for thread and storage underneath, sink and large counter for storage, large shelves for fabric storage, large design wall, couch for resting, lots of room for her longarm and lino squares on the floor in the shapes of quilt blocks!  Love it and would love to duplicate it.

Dustyroads wrote re: July Member Survey: Where do you look for inspiration for sewing room decorating/organizing ideas?
on Sunday, 1 July 2012, 11:22 AM

I turn to my Tuesday sewing club!  We discuss, share and advise.... I love it!

nldlwright wrote re: July Member Survey: Where do you look for inspiration for sewing room decorating/organizing ideas?
on Sunday, 1 July 2012, 11:27 AM

I really pay attention to the designer studios that are represented in my favorite quilt magazines.

nadine903 wrote re: July Member Survey: Where do you look for inspiration for sewing room decorating/organizing ideas?
on Sunday, 1 July 2012, 11:33 AM

Magazines is where i get my inspiration for sewing room and decorating/organizing ideas.

Cindy L Stephenson wrote re: July Member Survey: Where do you look for inspiration for sewing room decorating/organizing ideas?
on Sunday, 1 July 2012, 12:01 PM

My local quit shop is usually a good choice, show and tells are always a way to get me excited about starting something new. I do like magazines however, I can see a pattern and just invision it done in the type of fabrics I like or for someone in my family. I have kept all my issues and they all have post - it tabs on the pages I want to make something from. I have a small sewing area so have to keep it organized I use photo boxes mainly do to my limited space.

Kathleen Gabhart wrote re: July Member Survey: Where do you look for inspiration for sewing room decorating/organizing ideas?
on Sunday, 1 July 2012, 12:08 PM

I find inspiration everywhere......quilting magazines, other magazines, quilting shows, family photos, driving through the mountains, my great grandson's T-shirts, quilt shops, newsletters etc.  I try and keep a small notebook with me so I can write down and/or sketch ideas.

gini wrote re: July Member Survey: Where do you look for inspiration for sewing room decorating/organizing ideas?
on Sunday, 1 July 2012, 12:09 PM

i am not decorated, i would rather spend my time quilting.  i am organized just enough to find my fabric.  for the most part, my studio is organized chaos.

Peggy wrote re: July Member Survey: Where do you look for inspiration for sewing room decorating/organizing ideas?
on Sunday, 1 July 2012, 12:23 PM

My inspiration came from visiting many quilt shops and reading quilting magazines as to how to store fabrics, patterns and the other equipment items needed.  But I still seem to "fall out" of my closet each time I do a quilt.  Last quilt I made was purple and grey so my room exploded with those colors.  I also used home office layout ideas to show me the best way to layout the room. Now I find my ideas in the many books on sewing room organizations.  Always looking for new ideas, I check the tip section of the F&P quilting magazine as well as others.  Everything works.  I just need a bigger room.

Bobbie Blake wrote re: July Member Survey: Where do you look for inspiration for sewing room decorating/organizing ideas?
on Sunday, 1 July 2012, 12:26 PM

I have just reorganized my sewing room.  It is also my wash room with washer and dryer.  I was able to change the position of my machine and cutting table to better utilize the space and use of area.  I get my inspiration from need.  What can I dp with the space I have and what do I need to complete the project. I have also talked with other quilters as to the way they store their fabrics.  I will be organizing my fabrics as do others as to my need and space.  I have a closet with shelves to put fabrics in plastic boxes and labeled with contents

Dawn H. wrote re: July Member Survey: Where do you look for inspiration for sewing room decorating/organizing ideas?
on Sunday, 1 July 2012, 12:44 PM

I look EVERYWHERE!  Blogs, quilt magazines, shops, TV shows, friends homes, etc.  Some day I WILL BE organized!  :)

Sheila wrote re: July Member Survey: Where do you look for inspiration for sewing room decorating/organizing ideas?
on Sunday, 1 July 2012, 12:46 PM

I've got some time to sort it all out which is good as our house seems to be in a constant state of remodeling but, I'm finally starting to see some light at the end of that tunnel so I'm focusing on organizational ideas that I get from magazines & websites like QCA since the area that I will finally settle in will need to be a multi-purpose room - office/business workshop/quilting/guest room - Sheesh! I really do need organizing for all of that!!

Laura Brown wrote re: July Member Survey: Where do you look for inspiration for sewing room decorating/organizing ideas?
on Sunday, 1 July 2012, 1:04 PM

I live in the mountains in Wyoming. I don't need to look far at all for inspiration any time of the year. I created a log cabin quilt with tans and dusty greens opposite each other and then a strip of blues going across the tops and sides of the blocks creating what I visualized - "Blue skies over Wyoming". But I get a lot of inspiration from looking at quilting magazines too, of course - but put my own spin on them. I have "on the needle" right now a "parquet" type pattern using jelly rolls (Kansas troubles) that are wonderful pheasant colors for my husband who loved hunting pheasant his whole life but is no longer able to. He LOVES it and is bugging me to get it done!

bec02 wrote re: July Member Survey: Where do you look for inspiration for sewing room decorating/organizing ideas?
on Sunday, 1 July 2012, 1:06 PM

I'm a member of a quilting forum that has many talented and creative people on it.  They post pictures of their sewing spaces and it inspires me to decorate and to organize my sewing tools.

Jan Gunter wrote re: July Member Survey: Where do you look for inspiration for sewing room decorating/organizing ideas?
on Sunday, 1 July 2012, 1:09 PM

I use what ever I have in my house and all my baskets, bins, dressers, etc. I would love to be able to completely "rework" everything and have a new area  to sew in but that isn't in the works right now. I can just move things around a bit at a time to make it look "new". LOL Thanks sew much, Jan G.

on Sunday, 1 July 2012, 1:09 PM

Ooops - misread the question~~~!!!~~~ I would give my right foot to have a sewing space in my home. My space is scattering everything out in various groups and then re-sorting on my bed. I drool over the studios I see in magazines etc. so I suppose that is where I get my inspiration of what I would WANT but I do not have a dedicated quilting (or any craft) space. It is my bed, which is where unfortunately I spend most of my time. But makes it more cozy when I have something on the needle!!!

stichnRN wrote re: July Member Survey: Where do you look for inspiration for sewing room decorating/organizing ideas?
on Sunday, 1 July 2012, 1:24 PM

very little "decor" in my small sewing room. most of the wall space is taken up with shelves for storage. our house is a victorian with slanty side walls so little wall space to start with. i have a shelf over my window i use to display special sewing items.....my mom's button box, a quilt shop tea pot....

i have a photo from an artist friend of quilts on a line in the summer framed behind my iron.....the funny thing is it reflects the television, so i can still watch my movie while my back is turned...lol.

the stairway upstairs is where i display my quilty pictures and wall hangings.....my especially prized is the picture my sister painted for me of JOAN'S QUILT SHOP. she made it so personal.

greenmonstr wrote re: July Member Survey: Where do you look for inspiration for sewing room decorating/organizing ideas?
on Sunday, 1 July 2012, 1:29 PM

I actually found a great idea right here on this website in a forum, about using pegboard for my rulers and such.  It inspired me to rearrange my room so the end of my fabric shelves is next to my machine, and I have my rulers and such on a pegboard attached to the end of the shelving unit.  I also have my scissors hanging on hooks as well.  It works great and looks much neater and more organized.

SHERRYS-3 wrote re: July Member Survey: Where do you look for inspiration for sewing room decorating/organizing ideas?
on Sunday, 1 July 2012, 1:34 PM

Design ideas?  Organization?  I look everywhere!  Is my room organized?  Not in the least!  I need someone to HELP me find stuff in there--but the search makes me happy, as I get to look at lots of pretty fabric in my stash.  :)

Carolyn Mulligan wrote re: July Member Survey: Where do you look for inspiration for sewing room decorating/organizing ideas?
on Sunday, 1 July 2012, 1:47 PM

Inspiration for my sewing/crafts room can come from anywhere!  Sometimes it's a magazine, other times it's from shows on TV or something at a fabric shop.  My latest inspiration came from a pattern I saw that uses a stiff interfacing and your fabric of choice to create magazine holders and boxes.  So I'm using my stash of Mary Frances sewing fabric to make containers for patterns, supplies, and magazines.

SuJaney wrote re: July Member Survey: Where do you look for inspiration for sewing room decorating/organizing ideas?
on Sunday, 1 July 2012, 1:53 PM

I get my inspiration for organizing from all the different craft and sewing newsletters as well as the various craft stores I have around my area.  Magazines also.

beccaauen wrote re: July Member Survey: Where do you look for inspiration for sewing room decorating/organizing ideas?
on Sunday, 1 July 2012, 2:41 PM

I look to other quilters and see wht works for them. I am on a limited budget, so I have to enexpensive items for storage and for my projects.

brat8690@yahoo.com wrote re: July Member Survey: Where do you look for inspiration for sewing room decorating/organizing ideas?
on Sunday, 1 July 2012, 3:05 PM

I drool over sewing rooms in magazines,knowing my small space will not accomadate what I see. This site and magazines do give me some good ideas to oraganize the space I do have.

Barbara Orlando wrote re: July Member Survey: Where do you look for inspiration for sewing room decorating/organizing ideas?
on Sunday, 1 July 2012, 3:14 PM

It's hard to admit but I'm a copycat.  I visit with my quilting friends and take inspiration from their decor.  They are my true friends and I use their sewing rooms as building blocks.  They are such excellent sewers and how or where they organize their areas are places I admire. I find hints from them all over their homes.  We share our patterns, our decor, our quilts and most of all our lives.

valerie wrote re: July Member Survey: Where do you look for inspiration for sewing room decorating/organizing ideas?
on Sunday, 1 July 2012, 3:25 PM

For decorating I use the sewing machine and tools--for organizing I use the office supply sections of stores

QuiltinKat wrote re: July Member Survey: Where do you look for inspiration for sewing room decorating/organizing ideas?
on Sunday, 1 July 2012, 3:32 PM

Most of my inspiration is taken from Pinterest, artist blogs and, of course, quilting websites. If I spent more time actually organizing instead of surfing for ideas I'd probably my sewing/crafting area finished by now!

Terri wrote re: July Member Survey: Where do you look for inspiration for sewing room decorating/organizing ideas?
on Sunday, 1 July 2012, 3:57 PM

I'm inspired just by the things I love to have around me.  I love horses and dogs (pictures and wall hangings I have taken or made). And color is a real biggy with me.. I am always arranging things in color spots to inspire me to use them together.  Whatever makes my room fun to be in!

new quilter wrote re: July Member Survey: Where do you look for inspiration for sewing room decorating/organizing ideas?
on Sunday, 1 July 2012, 4:11 PM

I get my inspiration and organizing ides from quilting magazines and members  from my quilting  guilds where we  share our tips, thoughts and ideas.

Dell Martinez wrote re: July Member Survey: Where do you look for inspiration for sewing room decorating/organizing ideas?
on Sunday, 1 July 2012, 4:14 PM

Organized?  Organized???  Are you kidding?  Every itme I have gotten my sewing room organized, it seems like gremlins visit and turn the room into chaos.  But still the fun goes on!  I sew clothes, home fashions, make quilts and gifts of all manner.  I enjoy my space because I am so happy when I am there.  My lighting is perfect, my machines are oiled and ready to go and my supplies are current.  I am a happy camper!

DEBRAN-2 wrote re: July Member Survey: Where do you look for inspiration for sewing room decorating/organizing ideas?
on Sunday, 1 July 2012, 4:18 PM

I love to watch DIY and magazines the show how to organize rooms

northernquilter wrote re: July Member Survey: Where do you look for inspiration for sewing room decorating/organizing ideas?
on Sunday, 1 July 2012, 4:40 PM

I have two rooms for sewing/quilting and keep switching what is in each.  Right now I have my longarm in the smaller room and everything else in the larger room.  The inspiration for the decor came mostly from what I could convince my husband to do.  The smaller room is panelled and the larger room is painted a heritage green that I love.  My husband does not like green so this is the only room in the house I could have that colour.  I find it a great neutral for choosing fabrics.  Everything else is left over from when I owned a small quilt shop.  I have inexpensive white shelves to hold the fabric and what won't fit on them is stored in the spare room closet.  Another inspiration for me is what I'm able to find in our small isolated community.  If I can't get it here I usually have forgotten what I wanted by the time I get out of town so I mostly just use what is available.  I seem to find a use for most things or something to serve the purpose most of the time.  I prefer to spend my time quilting to organizing anyway.

Marcia W. wrote re: July Member Survey: Where do you look for inspiration for sewing room decorating/organizing ideas?
on Sunday, 1 July 2012, 4:45 PM

We wish we had a sewing room / studio. A small part of the spare bedroom is home to the sewing machine and a storage unit. I do enjoy reading blogs and stories of how well known quilters decorate and organize their studio and work areas. Also, there is a hard copy publication "Where Women Create" with a blog of that name, that has gorgeous photos of studios and stories too.  WWC is defintely inspirational! Mainly I search for organizational tips for smaller sewing / quilting areas and quilt display ideas.

Judy wrote re: July Member Survey: Where do you look for inspiration for sewing room decorating/organizing ideas?
on Sunday, 1 July 2012, 4:46 PM

Hi

I have gotten used to viewng a lot of tutorials and I get so many ideas from the sites.  Who would of thought that ou could get interesting tutorials on You Tube!  I am just amazed with all the educational opportunities that are on the internet!

Judy

alicias71 wrote re: July Member Survey: Where do you look for inspiration for sewing room decorating/organizing ideas?
on Sunday, 1 July 2012, 5:35 PM

I would love to have a sewing room to need ideas for! My sewing machine and cutting/pressing table live in the dining room along with several totes and an old cabinet. Not to mention, the table where we eat, the desk for the computer, 3 curio cabinets and a cd/dvd shelf. Plus I currently  have a 6 foot square design wall up. I tried to convince my son to move into his brother's old,but extremely small, room so I can have his room but he says no-way. I guess I have to wait until he moves out. I need more space!

Marge Campbell wrote re: July Member Survey: Where do you look for inspiration for sewing room decorating/organizing ideas?
on Sunday, 1 July 2012, 5:58 PM

I usually look online...webshots.com or other quilter's blogs. I have two main areas for sewing/embroidery...both need serious help.  I have 7 large shelving units (5 shelves per unit) & a cupboard...but they only hold part of my fabric/thread...then my sis in law gave me her fabric stash...and shortly after that...my bank called...we have a customer who's mom passed...would you like the fabric her mom (a quilter) had?  So, now I have that stash also.

And to top it off, I just got a 12 needle embroidery machine...and it came with tons of frames, thread, stabilizers, etc.  Yep...need to work on these...just need time to do it.

Kerry wrote re: July Member Survey: Where do you look for inspiration for sewing room decorating/organizing ideas?
on Sunday, 1 July 2012, 6:07 PM

Hi, I've found lots of great ideas via various Yahoo groups, and others now while I've been watching quilting videos.  My granny flat is under construction, so I have time to plan my sewing area which is lovely.  So far I have lots of light, room for my 2.4m long bench (with chest of drawers underneath), two sewing tables and two small bookshelves, plus a space for a design wall, which I've just discovered and find very exciting.  I'll fit in my machine, overlocker and embroidery machine - with room to move YAY!!

Chris wrote re: July Member Survey: Where do you look for inspiration for sewing room decorating/organizing ideas?
on Sunday, 1 July 2012, 6:13 PM

So many ideas so little space. I always like the ideas that are in magazines, websites, quilt shows, and friends. I like having pictures of animals and quilts around me. I cannot sew without a window to the outside world and a TV. Having a big nice sewing room is still not available to me. But I am planning one and some day will have my own room. Until then I will gather ideas where ever I can.

Francie wrote re: July Member Survey: Where do you look for inspiration for sewing room decorating/organizing ideas?
on Sunday, 1 July 2012, 6:35 PM

I find inspiration every where, magazines, tv, quilt shops, needlework stores, home improvement centers, Internet, antique stores, and many other places. I am not nearly as organized as I would like to be. Too many hobbies, too small a room!

Sewlove2create wrote re: July Member Survey: Where do you look for inspiration for sewing room decorating/organizing ideas?
on Sunday, 1 July 2012, 6:43 PM

I find my inspiration everywhere. If I see a pattern in a magazine or online I'm thinking, "What if it was done ...... this way." and start making notes to myself so I don't forget down the road. Nature and everything around me also gives inspiration, like looking out a window...or a pretty scene. I haven't done an art scene quilt, but just seeing the color combinations if nature are good for me to put to a traditional block and build from there.

ejanieb wrote re: July Member Survey: Where do you look for inspiration for sewing room decorating/organizing ideas?
on Sunday, 1 July 2012, 7:00 PM

Inspiration comes from all around....it could be the emails or the downloaded patterns....it includes the reason for a quilt (person, personality, event, etc.)....sales people or example quilts in a quilt shop....books.....magazines. I have not found that I can start one from scratch (my own design), but I can sure adapt another pattern, example to fit my needs.

Diane wrote re: July Member Survey: Where do you look for inspiration for sewing room decorating/organizing ideas?
on Sunday, 1 July 2012, 7:10 PM

I made a list of the things I use all the time, less often, and rarely.  Then I made sure that I had all of the 'frequent' items close by (like in trays and near the machine.   I wanted storage for those things I take out once or twice a month.  My inspiration is the number of times I have something in my hand.

10KSteps wrote re: July Member Survey: Where do you look for inspiration for sewing room decorating/organizing ideas?
on Sunday, 1 July 2012, 7:22 PM

My sewing room is decorated in an Ikea dresser, three-part Ikea closet, leftover side table and computer table, with a thrift store hanging-shelf organizer, storage boxes, magazine holders all sprayed red.  This is finished off with curtains and side table skirt reusing a red/yellow quilt I made for another house.  So I repurposed many things and like my workroom of which I have half and my husband has the other half--very cozy.

Just J wrote re: July Member Survey: Where do you look for inspiration for sewing room decorating/organizing ideas?
on Sunday, 1 July 2012, 7:23 PM

I started by painting my walls a serene light blue.  I then added a long table for my machine given to me by a retiring teacher friend.  Another friend gave me two deep cubicle shelf sets when she retired that she had scavenged from a store going out of business.  I painted them a deep blue in the same color family as my walls.  Then I was inspired by a set of magazine holders from Current, Inc. in the colors of pink, light blue, violet, and green to hold my quilting magazines.  When I saw archival photo boxes at Michaels in the same colors I got them to hold my fat quarters.  I get other ideas for storage solutions from my quilting magazines, blogs, and talking to other quilters.

Sandra Keith wrote re: July Member Survey: Where do you look for inspiration for sewing room decorating/organizing ideas?
on Sunday, 1 July 2012, 8:05 PM

My sewing/craft room is painted a happy light pink and white shelves all around for holding "stuff." I organized the room to suit my needs and got the ideas out of my own head. I am a very organized person. Perhaps that's why I didn't need ideas from other sources.

ebeckee wrote re: July Member Survey: Where do you look for inspiration for sewing room decorating/organizing ideas?
on Sunday, 1 July 2012, 9:11 PM

Wish I had a sewing room but I don't so my biggest interest in storage.  I "borrow" ideas from anything I see.

Jane wrote re: July Member Survey: Where do you look for inspiration for sewing room decorating/organizing ideas?
on Sunday, 1 July 2012, 9:33 PM

I find inspiration from the organization I see in nature and in ideas i see in e-mail pages from crochete and knitting sites. Then I use my inbred expertise i inherited from my parents and make my humble little space in my livingroom better looking for others who happen to find themselves in my little apaqrtment. It works for me.

jesuchanek wrote re: July Member Survey: Where do you look for inspiration for sewing room decorating/organizing ideas?
on Sunday, 1 July 2012, 9:58 PM

I am just delighted I have a sewing room, after sewing on the dinning room table for decades. Since I inherited my room after two of my kids moved out, my inspiration came from what furniture they left behind.

Sabel420 wrote re: July Member Survey: Where do you look for inspiration for sewing room decorating/organizing ideas?
on Sunday, 1 July 2012, 10:54 PM

I am really not decorated, I would rather spend my time quilting! I am organized just enough to find my fabric. For the most part, my studio is organized chaos.

TxGal wrote re: July Member Survey: Where do you look for inspiration for sewing room decorating/organizing ideas?
on Sunday, 1 July 2012, 11:57 PM

I pick up decor & organizing ideas from magazines, the web, Pinterest etc.  The only problem is getting them past the "idea" phase !!  Thanks for the chance to win !

creekmor@hotmail.com wrote re: July Member Survey: Where do you look for inspiration for sewing room decorating/organizing ideas?
on Monday, 2 July 2012, 12:26 AM

HGTV and other decorating inspirational sources are my go to places to look.  Anything that would apply in a home will apply in my sewing room.  Love to look at the set designs on shows like Love of Quilting too because they have cute ideas designed to appeal to the viewers.

Joleen Graham wrote re: July Member Survey: Where do you look for inspiration for sewing room decorating/organizing ideas?
on Monday, 2 July 2012, 6:29 AM

I do not have a sewing room, I have a sewing conner in our upstairs loft.  We live in an old house, so I use antiques for some of my decorating/organizing ideas.   I just added an old steamer trunk to a conner of my space and use it to store my rulers, some materials, extra irons, and I use the shoe pockets to store misc. items.

Joyce K. wrote re: July Member Survey: Where do you look for inspiration for sewing room decorating/organizing ideas?
on Monday, 2 July 2012, 6:35 AM

I look for ideas from magazines mostly, but also look at the setup in the background of some of my favorite sewing and quilting shows. I then use what I've seen to apply ideas to my own space, which is a spare bedroom, so I'm limited on space. I'm still not as organized as I'd like to be, but it helps.

sawilder wrote re: July Member Survey: Where do you look for inspiration for sewing room decorating/organizing ideas?
on Monday, 2 July 2012, 7:32 AM

Sewing room?  I have  a sewing corner and one (overflowing) closet to keep my stash as well as other crafting items.  As for decorating, I have a print of a painting that I like above my sewing machine.

DEBORAHW-4 wrote re: July Member Survey: Where do you look for inspiration for sewing room decorating/organizing ideas?
on Monday, 2 July 2012, 7:55 AM

I subscribe to several internet sites for quilting, fabric and notions. Through these, I obtain several different ways to store material or to setup my sewing room. I download what I like and keep a file on my computer. I also subscribe to quilting magazines and catalogs. These have inspired me to update my sewing area, organize my fabrics, patterns, notions, threads, etc into groups. I have rearranged my sewing room about 6 times in the last 18 months and I think I have the best arrangement for the room and I now have a good work space. Just wish the room was bigger.

grannie04 wrote re: July Member Survey: Where do you look for inspiration for sewing room decorating/organizing ideas?
on Monday, 2 July 2012, 8:40 AM

Many of the quilting magazines have great ideas, as well as getting ideas from local shops.  I also have a couple of sites I follow on FB that have innovative space-saver and storage ideas.  I even get ideas when I tag along with my husband to the lumber yard!  I just rearranged my sewing room about 3 months ago, and now I have a lot more room to work - but I still wish it was twice its size!

Elizabeth P. wrote re: July Member Survey: Where do you look for inspiration for sewing room decorating/organizing ideas?
on Monday, 2 July 2012, 9:06 AM

I am currently re-doing a room to be my designated quilting studio.  I spent a couple of years looking through quilting magazines and catalogs, checking online, and visiting quilt shops and quilt shows for ideas.  I kept a "wish book"  of designs, ideas, and products I thought would work well in my studio.  I also talked with a lot of other quilters to find out what worked for them, and more important - what did not work and why.  All that information also when into my "wish book".  All that information has proved helpful now that we are at the remodeling stage.  I'll have to wait till everything is done to see how well it all comes together.

Lola B wrote re: July Member Survey: Where do you look for inspiration for sewing room decorating/organizing ideas?
on Monday, 2 July 2012, 10:38 AM

My sewing room is also a guest bedroom.  I get inspiration for my sewing space and storage from quilt magazines, blogs, videos and the storage bin aisle at Lowe's.  I hang my ribbons I have won in various quilt shows on my wall, inspires me to make award-winning quilts.  My true inspiration for turning my sewing space back into a guest room is when I get a phone call that '"company's coming."

SpartanBabe wrote re: July Member Survey: Where do you look for inspiration for sewing room decorating/organizing ideas?
on Monday, 2 July 2012, 12:59 PM

My sewing room is constantly in fluid motion so I like to put everything in clear bins with a label on the outside.  I generally re-arrange my immediate space for every project so I have all the tools I need right at my fingertips (plus a few WIPs that I can meddle with when I need a break).  Everything in its place and a place for everything.  I look at other quilters blogs and check out their rooms when they show pictures - I recently saw a great dresser - ironing board/storage coversion that I think I will use to change out old dresser into a cutting table for me.  Premade storage!

yessanth wrote re: July Member Survey: Where do you look for inspiration for sewing room decorating/organizing ideas?
on Monday, 2 July 2012, 1:06 PM

I get my inspiration from magazines and Pinterest (as of recently).  There are always new ways to store and display my fabrics and tools.  I like change, so it's nice to refresh the look every so often.

Kathleen Gray wrote re: July Member Survey: Where do you look for inspiration for sewing room decorating/organizing ideas?
on Monday, 2 July 2012, 3:58 PM

My inspirations come from magazine pictures mostly. I know what my  wants and needs are in a room. I will look at mostly magazine pictures and cut them out an arange them on my desk to fit my room. It will take a couple months before the corect arrangements and my budget will allow the transformation. Also if possible go to a place an be able to actually see and touch the furniture.

ConnieND wrote re: July Member Survey: Where do you look for inspiration for sewing room decorating/organizing ideas?
on Monday, 2 July 2012, 4:22 PM

I look for storage ideas from Pinterest, Where Women Create magazine, Storage magazine, Studios magazine and on-line blogs of people who craft.

jmrb wrote re: July Member Survey: Where do you look for inspiration for sewing room decorating/organizing ideas?
on Monday, 2 July 2012, 4:56 PM

I like articles in quilt magazines related to organization and storage, and discussing new storage options.  Since I have my longarm, sewing machine, and design wall, and a row of cabinets in my sewing room, the only way I can get more storage is to go up to my 10 foot ceiling, but things get hard to reach up there.

jblissenbach wrote re: July Member Survey: Where do you look for inspiration for sewing room decorating/organizing ideas?
on Monday, 2 July 2012, 6:41 PM

Pinterest!

Dawn Paoletti wrote re: July Member Survey: Where do you look for inspiration for sewing room decorating/organizing ideas?
on Monday, 2 July 2012, 7:08 PM

I go to my friend, Margie.  She organized my room a few years ago and I've enjoyed it so much!  I've gotten great ideas from her and trust her totally.

Kathy wrote re: July Member Survey: Where do you look for inspiration for sewing room decorating/organizing ideas?
on Monday, 2 July 2012, 8:00 PM

I typically will be challenged by my quilting guild or sewing guild and there is a resource for a ton of ideas!  Quilters just know stuff!  They inspire me every month.

If I miss a meeting, I got the grandkids to tell me what they are in to and I can always come up with some ideas for their next quilt.  I am easy to inspire and I love learning from others.

When it is too quiet, I read my quilting magazines or just take some looks around this beautiful country, there are always inspiring ideas to pull from.

mbknight wrote re: July Member Survey: Where do you look for inspiration for sewing room decorating/organizing ideas?
on Monday, 2 July 2012, 8:52 PM

Nature is a great place to look for inspiration.

quiltedquill wrote re: July Member Survey: Where do you look for inspiration for sewing room decorating/organizing ideas?
on Monday, 2 July 2012, 10:30 PM

I love looking on Pinterest for design ideas.  I also like to peruse home decor and home improvement sights for organizational ideas.

Rosalind Gutierrez wrote re: July Member Survey: Where do you look for inspiration for sewing room decorating/organizing ideas?
on Monday, 2 July 2012, 11:41 PM

There is so much information in my quilt magazines and at my favorite quilt shops.

Violet wrote re: July Member Survey: Where do you look for inspiration for sewing room decorating/organizing ideas?
on Tuesday, 3 July 2012, 9:53 AM

I look at all photos where there is a work area visible.  Magazines are wonderful for this and has helped me loosen up a little and get creative.  Of course, just wanting to clean up and change things around is motivation enough to get me moving.

lindyloohoo wrote re: July Member Survey: Where do you look for inspiration for sewing room decorating/organizing ideas?
on Tuesday, 3 July 2012, 4:03 PM

I don't have a separate sewing space, I share space in the laundry room but I love to look at design ideas on the net and various emails I get from quilting magazine sites. Thanks.

iairisbelle@iowatelecom.net wrote re: July Member Survey: Where do you look for inspiration for sewing room decorating/organizing ideas?
on Tuesday, 3 July 2012, 4:47 PM

I like to visit my friends sewing rooms for organization ideas along with magazines that show how a sewing room has been organized.  I try a lot of organization techniques, some I keep others I get rid of at garage sales.  My sewing room is generally in use so it is hard to keep in organized.

bcrafty1020@aol.com wrote re: July Member Survey: Where do you look for inspiration for sewing room decorating/organizing ideas?
on Tuesday, 3 July 2012, 4:59 PM

When we built our home I wanted a craft/exercise room. I painted the walls white like a canvas. I oganized my fabrics by shades and then colors and placed them in light teal baskets that allow me to see the fabrics.The baskets, books, and supplies are organized on shelves. I then decided my work would be an ever changing display on the large canvas wall. The fabrics inspire creations while I walk on my treadmill. Like many, I am working on several projects at a time and they are all displayed in different stages of progress. I am fortunate to have my own space. Before we moved to our new home I had woked in a small bedroom closet. Where there is a will there is a way.

on Tuesday, 3 July 2012, 4:59 PM

on Tuesday, 3 July 2012, 6:14 PM

I get inspiration and ideas from magazines, on-line from bloggers and other quilting groups I am in.

dcamp44 wrote re: July Member Survey: Where do you look for inspiration for sewing room decorating/organizing ideas?
on Tuesday, 3 July 2012, 8:03 PM

I find inspiration for sewing room decorating/organizing ideas from tutorials and magazines.My decor is paintings my grandchildren have done and things that I like,antiques,dolls, Elvis memorbalia.I have a very hard time staying organized,because when I put something away that is when someone  needs just a certain button , ribbon ,or just a scrap of fabric to aid a  costume that my granddaughters need for a play,or one of the granddaughters will ask ,mamaw do you  have any of the eyelette lace material that my first Easter dress was made from? So , I work quite well in an unorganized room at times.That is on my round to it list!Organization!

roseann1 wrote re: July Member Survey: Where do you look for inspiration for sewing room decorating/organizing ideas?
on Tuesday, 3 July 2012, 8:53 PM

I am inspired by comminications with other artists/craftsmen/quilters.

lzingaro wrote re: July Member Survey: Where do you look for inspiration for sewing room decorating/organizing ideas?
on Wednesday, 4 July 2012, 8:03 AM

I am always looking at flower arrangements that people receive at my workplace to find interesting color combinations for my quilts.  Another source of inspiration for me is art museums where I quickly jot down the colors from paintings especially when viewing modern pieces.

dardar wrote re: July Member Survey: Where do you look for inspiration for sewing room decorating/organizing ideas?
on Wednesday, 4 July 2012, 9:29 AM

I don't have a sewing room. I sew in the corner of my basement, no windows, concrete floor. I use plastic shelving and see through bins. I am very practically and try to re-purpose things rather than spend money I could spend on fabric on organization. I cut on an old kitchen table.  I do get ideas from members, who advised on organizing my stash and I plan to try suggestions on making a design wall.

lindawwww wrote re: July Member Survey: Where do you look for inspiration for sewing room decorating/organizing ideas?
on Wednesday, 4 July 2012, 2:51 PM

My decorating technique for my sewing room is based on making my sewing life easier.  I'm always on the lookout for new ideas from quilting magazines, quilting websites, books and friends.  I'm quite happy with my quilting room as it is, but the one thing I would like to change is to have a much bigger room!

kkamidon wrote re: July Member Survey: Where do you look for inspiration for sewing room decorating/organizing ideas?
on Wednesday, 4 July 2012, 3:48 PM

My sewing room is decorated with gifts from friends and family,and is an eclectic mix.  I have a Star Trek poster, stuffed animals, red Chinese beads/tassel, a magic wand, and a lighted Christmas village shop (quilt shop!).  This is the place my life is celebrated.  I'm an organized person so the practical part of my sewing room is very organized.  I look for inspiration in all the quilting magazines and quilting shows on TV.  So far the best thing I've found is the Fabric Organizers.  Instead of pulling out heavy piles of fabric, I can now see what I have in my cabinets.  The second best thing is the shelves my husband attached to the upper part of the long wall in the room.  I put my containers of backing fabric and "someday" projects there.

ncdanish3@nycap.rr.com wrote re: July Member Survey: Where do you look for inspiration for sewing room decorating/organizing ideas?
on Thursday, 5 July 2012, 10:58 AM

I have three grand daughters and a camera they always have the greatest ideas going.

quiltingsusan wrote re: July Member Survey: Where do you look for inspiration for sewing room decorating/organizing ideas?
on Thursday, 5 July 2012, 8:58 PM

I wish I had a sewing room. I sew in the dining room. I have been looking lately at the various quilting sites for organization ideas.

on Thursday, 5 July 2012, 10:15 PM

wordygirl wrote re: July Member Survey: Where do you look for inspiration for sewing room decorating/organizing ideas?
on Friday, 6 July 2012, 3:40 AM

Blogs, BHG, friends--all of these inspire me.  Even rooms not intended for sewing give me ideas and help refine my plans.

rotarywoman wrote re: July Member Survey: Where do you look for inspiration for sewing room decorating/organizing ideas?
on Friday, 6 July 2012, 12:57 PM

I use the plastic scrapbook boxes from Michael's store to put my fabric in and my UFOs.  I like that you can stack them on top of each other.  I use plastic drawers from Walmart to put my other fabric in.  I bought foamboards from Michael's for a $1 each and cut up 8 pieces of board from each foamboard to put my pieces of fabric around them.  It is organized now.  I can see what I have.  I also feel my fabric more and enjoy having it more.  I look on one of the quilting forums on the internet always on the organization and storage of the quilting/sewing rooms/studios.  I am always looking for new ideas to organizing my sewing/quilting room.

on Friday, 6 July 2012, 1:02 PM

I also get my inspiration from two quilting organization books that I have, Creating your Perfect Quilting Space and Organizing Solutions for Every Quilter, and Setting up Your Sewing Space(which is outdated book), but got ideas from it.  Like I said, I also get information from the Internet and quilters' blogs when I google organizing your quilting stash.

Mz M wrote re: July Member Survey: Where do you look for inspiration for sewing room decorating/organizing ideas?
on Saturday, 7 July 2012, 8:38 AM

I look on Quilters Club of America at the pics other ladies have posted of their quilt space as well as in Magazines for inspiration for organizing.

Teri99 wrote re: July Member Survey: Where do you look for inspiration for sewing room decorating/organizing ideas?
on Saturday, 7 July 2012, 3:20 PM

My inspiration is pure functionality.  I try to maximize the space I have, getting as much storage and surface area as possible.  Reading blogs and magazines helps, but mostly I just forge ahead and try things 'til they work.

mindless wrote re: July Member Survey: Where do you look for inspiration for sewing room decorating/organizing ideas?
on Saturday, 7 July 2012, 4:22 PM

I look right here for inspiration...and everywhere else too. Online forums, youtube, diy on tv, magazines, my local quilt shop, blogs....I'm ALWAYS looking for inspiration for wall colors, storage ideas, best ways to arrange furniture & sewing machines.... one of the best places for efficient use of space comes from yacht & rv builders.  They know how to use EVERY INCH of space!

Thank you for the opportunity to win a $10 certificate from shop fons & porter.com! I love shopping there!!!

Pamela Spears-Bradford wrote re: July Member Survey: Where do you look for inspiration for sewing room decorating/organizing ideas?
on Saturday, 7 July 2012, 8:09 PM

My sewing studio in my basement. It shared with my husband's music studio, the laundry area, exercise,  entertainment and pantry. Very Multipurpose! We are in the process of remodeling the basement to fit each others creativity with ease. It take dividing our basement half and adding cabinets, lots of shelves and a couple of doors. Wish us luck!  I have watching Diy network, remodeling books, on this website. Koala's website. I even had a contractor come and suggest a design that I like very much. Can't wait to get it started!

manya wrote re: July Member Survey: Where do you look for inspiration for sewing room decorating/organizing ideas?
on Sunday, 8 July 2012, 8:34 PM

I have found numerous ideas for remodeling my sewing "area" (typically the most useful tips are the organizing tips) but alas I canot totally complete my area until the family room remodel is completed.  The one thing that I normally pour over are the new Koala cabinets in my quilting magazines.

Gina C wrote re: July Member Survey: Where do you look for inspiration for sewing room decorating/organizing ideas?
on Sunday, 8 July 2012, 8:51 PM

I ocassionally run across an article online or in a magazine, etc. where someone has decorated their sewing room.  I have seen some beautiful sewing rooms posted on this website.  Thanks for all the idea's ladies.  Sometimes it comes in an e-mail from a website I subscribe to.  I would love to have the tables, counter tops and shelving and all the special things that make some of their rooms so wonderful.  I don't have all the storage and countertops that some have, but I have what I need to get the job done.  Maybe I will someday be able to remodel and incorporate some of the ideas I have seen that would free up some space in my room and yet have more storage areas.

Dawn Thompson wrote re: July Member Survey: Where do you look for inspiration for sewing room decorating/organizing ideas?
on Monday, 9 July 2012, 6:59 PM

I look for light. The lightest room gets my vote.

AgnesEthel wrote re: July Member Survey: Where do you look for inspiration for sewing room decorating/organizing ideas?
on Tuesday, 10 July 2012, 10:43 AM

ROFL,  I just thank God I have a room.  It's my sewing, office, library, and storage room!  I have the extra Refrigerator in my room.  I thought the design wall was the only decorating to be done. What little decorating that is done comes from Quilt Magazines and Quilter's Calendars.  Organizing??  I thought that's what the stuffed closet was for; especially the doors.

Maureen Mate wrote re: July Member Survey: Where do you look for inspiration for sewing room decorating/organizing ideas?
on Tuesday, 10 July 2012, 3:20 PM

I get inspriation for organization from newsletters, blogs and Pinterest. I like when bloggers post photos of there own sewing spaces and I get ideas for my space from them. I'm glad I have a dedicated room for sewing but there is a lot of stuff to store in here! It doubles as my office too.

Shelly wrote re: July Member Survey: Where do you look for inspiration for sewing room decorating/organizing ideas?
on Wednesday, 11 July 2012, 9:12 PM

Oddly, thrift stores. I find the most random and useful inspirations when I see something that can hold "stuff". It's like my inner Martha Stewart takes over and I start imagining all the ways it can be repurposed.

learning_to_quilt wrote re: July Member Survey: Where do you look for inspiration for sewing room decorating/organizing ideas?
on Wednesday, 11 July 2012, 9:18 PM

When considering how to decorate my quilt room my mom asked me what colors make me happy. Without thinking I answered lilac, pale green and yellow. She laughed and said Easter colors. "I guess so..."

A far as organizing I put everything related in one area so as to save time. Functionality is key when designing and organizing my quilt room.

cjlove14 wrote re: July Member Survey: Where do you look for inspiration for sewing room decorating/organizing ideas?
on Thursday, 12 July 2012, 6:03 AM

I get ideas on how to decorated and organize my sewing/craft room from hardware stores as well as home office solutions; there great places to find unique ways to hold or store your supplys and using your own creative inspirations your can blend them into your inviroment. Currently my bedroom doubles as my sewing and craft room; everywhere you lookin my room there is my redecorated office supplies and office organizers as well as tools and organizers from the hardware store (binders for patterns, painted magazine holders, clotheslines fabric wrapped baskets, tool boxes for sewing accessories, etc) and yet it still looks like a artsy, modern, contemporary bedroom/sewing/craft room.

figgy90 wrote re: July Member Survey: Where do you look for inspiration for sewing room decorating/organizing ideas?
on Thursday, 12 July 2012, 8:00 PM

Office supply stores have become a favorite place to help me find ways to make my room more organized.  They ways to hang and store so many things.  Clear pull out drawers are one of my favorite things to use to store scraps of fabric and also patterns can be store in stand up file folders.  Since I share my sewing room as a guest room keeping things neat is a must.

White Eagle wrote re: July Member Survey: Where do you look for inspiration for sewing room decorating/organizing ideas?
on Friday, 13 July 2012, 10:48 AM

My localindependent fabric store gives me lots of ideas for decorating, storage, and floor space arrangements.  I have a very large stash of fabrics and always on the hunt for creative storage ideas.  Presently have seven seven-shelf bookcases literally loaded with fabric, two closets filled with books and batting, a rolling cart, 10-drawers, filled with thread (spools and cones).  A solid rolling cart that has plastic storage boxes that can be taken individually to classes or in the car so I can work on projects on short trips.  Working on making enough space for a longarm machine - just haven't pushed hard enough to make my husband notice yet.

sheep quilter wrote re: July Member Survey: Where do you look for inspiration for sewing room decorating/organizing ideas?
on Friday, 13 July 2012, 10:57 AM

I look in a lot of places.  Usually it is in a magazine or a picture someone will post in a blog.  I am always looking for storage ideas.

CHRISTEL HANNE wrote re: July Member Survey: Where do you look for inspiration for sewing room decorating/organizing ideas?
on Sunday, 15 July 2012, 8:38 AM

i have a llittle space 2x3 meter, in a side books in the other site blocks 45 x45 and within all whai ai nned for quiting in different boxes. as table I cut a special form that fit the maximum space i could affort,its the beginning because i am looking for other rooms in mi house!!!!!!

bfavorite wrote re: July Member Survey: Where do you look for inspiration for sewing room decorating/organizing ideas?
on Sunday, 15 July 2012, 9:35 AM

I love, love, love Studios Magazine.  I enjoy looking through them over and over.  For all my other quilting and sewing magazines, I just find the pattern or article that I'm interested in, tear those pages out, and toss the rest of the mag.  But for Studios, I keep the entire issue.  I even bought all the back issues.  So that's my "go to" resource for anything related to decorating and organizing my sewing room.

Btvpatty wrote re: July Member Survey: Where do you look for inspiration for sewing room decorating/organizing ideas?
on Sunday, 15 July 2012, 9:53 AM

Since my sewing room is the other half of my overly large bedroom, my inspiration comes from there and from the container store

on Sunday, 15 July 2012, 10:03 AM

I am retiring soon and look forward to organizing my sewing room.  I enjoy all the 'eye candy' in quilting magazines and on quilting shows.  I also cruise the you tube quilting videos for ideas.

KAGUGEL wrote re: July Member Survey: Where do you look for inspiration for sewing room decorating/organizing ideas?
on Sunday, 15 July 2012, 10:12 AM

Mostly I just spend time in my studio, thinking about what it needs to be more functional.  I did a big overhaul this spring and I love it!

snowrvn wrote re: July Member Survey: Where do you look for inspiration for sewing room decorating/organizing ideas?
on Sunday, 15 July 2012, 10:14 AM

magazines and more recently on Pinterest

goodkitty wrote re: July Member Survey: Where do you look for inspiration for sewing room decorating/organizing ideas?
on Sunday, 15 July 2012, 10:14 AM

Pinterest, yahoog groups, tv shows, anywhere I can get ideas.

mblarse wrote re: July Member Survey: Where do you look for inspiration for sewing room decorating/organizing ideas?
on Sunday, 15 July 2012, 10:18 AM

I have been an avid quilter's and studio design magazine buyer. I tear out any ideas that might fit into my plans for the new studio I will have in my new house. I also take ideas from the fabric/quilting shops I visit at home or while traveling. I am also on the look out for new and different ideas as they present themselves; Heck, I get inspired in the hardware store. My husband is a woodworker and has many ideas on how to arrange and create new ways to make my sewing easier and much more pleasant; a happy wife means a happy wife.

ladybee1955 wrote re: July Member Survey: Where do you look for inspiration for sewing room decorating/organizing ideas?
on Sunday, 15 July 2012, 10:23 AM

I was in a comic Book Store and was looking at how the comic books were all neat and stood up nice and neat. I bought a couple hundread of the cardboard inserts and started to fold away. Now my fabric is folded and stored all on end by color on book shelves. Oh yes and did I say that I gave all 300 plus books to my daughter-in-laws mother for her bookshelves to enjoy....

Betty wrote re: July Member Survey: Where do you look for inspiration for sewing room decorating/organizing ideas?
on Sunday, 15 July 2012, 10:32 AM

I look everywhere for ideas, magazines, internet, books, anywhere i can but mostly i organzie my space according to where i need things fast and convienent, for my sewing needs. I Have also seen many good ideas, for my sewing room, quilting and even some good recipes on Pinterest.

Scop wrote re: July Member Survey: Where do you look for inspiration for sewing room decorating/organizing ideas?
on Sunday, 15 July 2012, 10:51 AM

Light and space are my primary sources of inspiration. Sad to say, I envy those quilters with large workshops.

Karen wrote re: July Member Survey: Where do you look for inspiration for sewing room decorating/organizing ideas?
on Sunday, 15 July 2012, 11:07 AM

I look to the quilting magazines.  The great stitchers always show tidbits of their work space.  If it works for them, it might work for me.  I think of it as expert advice!

Bonnie Larson wrote re: July Member Survey: Where do you look for inspiration for sewing room decorating/organizing ideas?
on Sunday, 15 July 2012, 11:29 AM

Blogs, websites, craft, quilt books, etc. I get ideas from all over....

Vicki wrote re: July Member Survey: Where do you look for inspiration for sewing room decorating/organizing ideas?
on Sunday, 15 July 2012, 11:50 AM

I am fairly new to quilting.  I have sewn most of my life but quilting never caught my attention until I started looking for places to use my machine embroidery designs.  Quilts seemed a logical way to show case my designs.  I mostly get my inspirations from on-line sources and a few magazines.  I have never been to Pinterest and seldom use Facebook.  But I love Fons and Porter sites, Quiltmaker, Quilters Guild, etc.  Now I am having fun learning different blocks and techniques for quilts.

madme wrote re: July Member Survey: Where do you look for inspiration for sewing room decorating/organizing ideas?
on Sunday, 15 July 2012, 11:53 AM

Pinterest is such a glut of inspiration!  I can pin to boards and when the spirit moves me, run there and look up something to make or do!  AND I try to actually take some of those special tutes/tips and USE them!!!  No use pinning and never using them  :P

Nevada Blue wrote re: July Member Survey: Where do you look for inspiration for sewing room decorating/organizing ideas?
on Sunday, 15 July 2012, 11:54 AM

Quilting magazines and online sites.

on Sunday, 15 July 2012, 12:00 PM

When we purchased our house a few years ago, I comandeered the basement family room for my sewing room.  We are empty nesters so it isn't an issue.  My room is large.  I have room for two cutting tables, Ironing board and three sewing machine desks/cabinets, in addition to my computer, and a few shelving units.  The other wonderful asset is another room in the basement where I store my stash in see through plastic boxes and we store books, albums, etc there too.  I have three granddaughters - 11, 14, 17 who like to sew with me, so the three machines are all used.  The large space is truly a dream come true.  My husband is a retired Air Force officer and we have lived in MANY different houses over the years.  None of them gave me the space I have now.

Flash wrote re: July Member Survey: Where do you look for inspiration for sewing room decorating/organizing ideas?
on Sunday, 15 July 2012, 12:45 PM

My inspiration is derived from checking the Pantone colour palette for each season and by viewing fashion & design sites for the latest in trends.

Craftysansan wrote re: July Member Survey: Where do you look for inspiration for sewing room decorating/organizing ideas?
on Sunday, 15 July 2012, 12:55 PM

I look at blogs pintrest and blogs. So many ideas. I love to see what other people do so I can put my own twist in it to make it my own.

Millie Squyres wrote re: July Member Survey: Where do you look for inspiration for sewing room decorating/organizing ideas?
on Sunday, 15 July 2012, 1:52 PM

I got my decorating ideas from Sewing with Nancy, Quilt in a Day and decorating and quilting magazines.

I made valances for the windows from a quilt magazine of a quilt or valance pattern, and since the fabric in the valances had a lot of blue, I painted the room pale blue.  When all the lights are on the blue wall and white woodwork make it cooler.  I live in south central Texas and it's hot as hades in the summer.  I love to quilt any time I have a chance so I quilt spring, summer, fall and winter.

Angi Barnes wrote re: July Member Survey: Where do you look for inspiration for sewing room decorating/organizing ideas?
on Sunday, 15 July 2012, 2:32 PM

I go on websites like DIY network and decorator magazines and such.

RosemaryRivas wrote re: July Member Survey: Where do you look for inspiration for sewing room decorating/organizing ideas?
on Sunday, 15 July 2012, 2:32 PM

I look everywhere!  I find the best way to learn about something is to "google" it and check out the websites that come up whose description gives me an idea that it is something that will be useful to me!

Sandy wrote re: July Member Survey: Where do you look for inspiration for sewing room decorating/organizing ideas?
on Sunday, 15 July 2012, 2:42 PM

I found a lot of my inspiration from other sewers, adapted some things to my space and put up things that I liked.

MizPat wrote re: July Member Survey: Where do you look for inspiration for sewing room decorating/organizing ideas?
on Sunday, 15 July 2012, 2:58 PM

I get inspiration from the fantastic books available as well as magazines and of course all the great blogs and other websites like this one!  I'm renting so wall color is off-white and will have to stay that way, but my layout is slowly evolving, as are my stash and book/magazine collection.  I do most of my shopping in my stash which is far too large for the space I have available, but very useful for designing quilts and other projects.  Fons & Porter has a lot of items I'd love to have, so I hope I win!

EDEC wrote re: July Member Survey: Where do you look for inspiration for sewing room decorating/organizing ideas?
on Sunday, 15 July 2012, 3:32 PM

I get inspiration from what my friends have done or are doing.  Not that I copy from them,  but I get ideas of what I can do to fit my needs.

on Sunday, 15 July 2012, 4:09 PM

imnrn1216 wrote re: July Member Survey: Where do you look for inspiration for sewing room decorating/organizing ideas?
on Sunday, 15 July 2012, 4:14 PM

I enjoy watching the quilting/craft shows on tv and magazines give me ideas.  My husband says I have way too many ideas.

BADRAGS wrote re: July Member Survey: Where do you look for inspiration for sewing room decorating/organizing ideas?
on Sunday, 15 July 2012, 5:26 PM

I am always thinking about how to make my space pleasing to the eye and functional at the same time. I have discussions with friends, club members and constantly search through magazines and the internet. When I see storage units in stores, I am thinking, how can that piece benefit me and will it fit in the space allotted.

allyn29 wrote re: July Member Survey: Where do you look for inspiration for sewing room decorating/organizing ideas?
on Sunday, 15 July 2012, 5:53 PM

I look for organizing ideas online and in magazines. I'm always looking for new containers to stash things in.

juels51 wrote re: July Member Survey: Where do you look for inspiration for sewing room decorating/organizing ideas?
on Sunday, 15 July 2012, 6:41 PM

I look in magazines, stores, Home Depot, and blogs.  I also love to go to antique stores to look more cabinets and syash.

Mary Vezzetti wrote re: July Member Survey: Where do you look for inspiration for sewing room decorating/organizing ideas?
on Sunday, 15 July 2012, 7:31 PM

After a trip to Italy, I found a pattern for part of the tile floor in St. Mark's cathedral in Venice. I had walked on that very tile pattern! So I used batiks, following the color scheme and made a queen-sized quilt for our bedroom. Now I notice tile floor patterns everywhere I go!

carolkolkind wrote re: July Member Survey: Where do you look for inspiration for sewing room decorating/organizing ideas?
on Sunday, 15 July 2012, 7:45 PM

I look every where for my inspiration. Library, quilt magazines and shop internet sites. I like to visit thrift stores as well. I hate to see old or unfinished quilts without a home.

on Sunday, 15 July 2012, 7:52 PM

I look for inspiration everywhere. I look in quilt magazines, library books and internet sites. I like to visit thrift stores also. I hate to see any unfinished quilting projects without a home to go to.

rmbutler2@verizon.net wrote re: July Member Survey: Where do you look for inspiration for sewing room decorating/organizing ideas?
on Sunday, 15 July 2012, 8:06 PM

I get ideas from show n tells at the sewing and quilt guilds, from magazines, and patterns.

QUILTER OVERWHELMED wrote re: July Member Survey: Where do you look for inspiration for sewing room decorating/organizing ideas?
on Sunday, 15 July 2012, 8:54 PM

Magazines

SewCherie wrote re: July Member Survey: Where do you look for inspiration for sewing room decorating/organizing ideas?
on Sunday, 15 July 2012, 11:07 PM

Love Pintrest and Flickr (there's a whole Flicker Sewing Spaces group!) to look at other peoples sewing spaces and organization (because I need it!).

on Sunday, 15 July 2012, 11:53 PM

I get good ideas from a lot of places - quilt and craft magazines, books, quilt forums, websites, blogs and now from Pinterest.  I've found the best ideas for storage and organization, something I badly needed !  Thanks for the chance to win !

Purdue Fan wrote re: July Member Survey: Where do you look for inspiration for sewing room decorating/organizing ideas?
on Monday, 16 July 2012, 12:22 AM

IKEA! I have an IKEA store about 3 miles from my house (which is both good and bad!) and they have such great inspiring ideas for organization. Much of my sewing room is IKEA furniture and storage.

TERRYS-3 wrote re: July Member Survey: Where do you look for inspiration for sewing room decorating/organizing ideas?
on Monday, 16 July 2012, 6:08 AM

I have just got an amazing amount of inspiration reading everyone's comments..... My sewing room has a big window with a hanging basket of flowers just outside so I have light and color as I sit at the machine. I found a wall unit for free on Craigslist, painted it white and green and it's perfect for storing fabrics, books, patterns, etc. I have my computer in the room so I can get inspiration for new projects and listen to country music.

Nancy wrote re: July Member Survey: Where do you look for inspiration for sewing room decorating/organizing ideas?
on Monday, 16 July 2012, 7:13 AM

I look at blogs on the internet and in magazines.  I have joined Pinterest but try not to go there too often because there are so many things to look at it eats up all my time.

bonbon wrote re: July Member Survey: Where do you look for inspiration for sewing room decorating/organizing ideas?
on Monday, 16 July 2012, 11:56 AM

I check out websites, such as Koala Caninents, and have viewed both Sewing with Nancy, and Quilt in a day new room remodels.

I check out Better homes and gardens

magazines, and show and tell from other quilters.

Pat140 wrote re: July Member Survey: Where do you look for inspiration for sewing room decorating/organizing ideas?
on Monday, 16 July 2012, 12:26 PM

Funny you should ask.  Lately I've been thinking about making over my sewing room and have been looking in a variety of locations for ideas such as magazines, the internet and office supply stores.  But I get the best suggestions from friends and the ladies in my quilting class.

Cathy Parker wrote re: July Member Survey: Where do you look for inspiration for sewing room decorating/organizing ideas?
on Monday, 16 July 2012, 12:44 PM

I see orgainzation everywhere, but never get there as my sewing room is extrmemly small and in the shape of a skinny rectangle.  I have the best organization I can see for this type of room, but it is not adequate.  Sewers, like me, need ROOM to be free for just sewing and another room just for storage. The two rooms would not meet as that is what bring the clutter.  I have learned to skinny up and move around as nothing is going to stop me from sewing.

on Monday, 16 July 2012, 12:44 PM

pioneerwoman120537 wrote re: July Member Survey: Where do you look for inspiration for sewing room decorating/organizing ideas?
on Monday, 16 July 2012, 2:33 PM

I get my inspiration from my quilting club ladies, the QCA website, and home decorating and storage magazines.  As an avid thrift store shopper, I also get alot of my organizing ideas through recycling too (which have also come from other QCA members).  Thanks to all!

Mary Janice wrote re: July Member Survey: Where do you look for inspiration for sewing room decorating/organizing ideas?
on Monday, 16 July 2012, 5:56 PM

I live next to Zion's National Park.  I often go hiking there and when I do I take my camera.  The nature in this canyon is awe inspiring and I can go to the same place and get new inspiration every time.

on Monday, 16 July 2012, 8:05 PM

Sue Steelman wrote re: July Member Survey: Where do you look for inspiration for sewing room decorating/organizing ideas?
on Monday, 16 July 2012, 11:14 PM

I would love to have a room just for my sewing, quilting, & crafts. It is just that every time I get a room one of the kids or granddaughter moves back in, just long enough to spoil my plans. If I had a room a lot of my inspirations would come from magazines, & ideas in my head. I keep joking about adding a room to the back of our house, but I'm serious, really.

Marty Askins wrote re: July Member Survey: Where do you look for inspiration for sewing room decorating/organizing ideas?
on Tuesday, 17 July 2012, 6:43 AM

I look at the internet quilting stores & blogs, then I also look in magazines for my inspiration.

Linda wrote re: July Member Survey: Where do you look for inspiration for sewing room decorating/organizing ideas?
on Tuesday, 17 July 2012, 1:12 PM

I get my ideas in the quilting mags and online. The online newsletters often have organizing ideas.

PaQuilter wrote re: July Member Survey: Where do you look for inspiration for sewing room decorating/organizing ideas?
on Tuesday, 17 July 2012, 1:35 PM

I took my inspiration for my sewing room from "Creating Your Perfect Quilting Space" by Lois L. Hallock.  It gave me ideas on how to store my fabric stash.  Since the room is not that big, I also took ideas from HGTV by repurposing bedroom furniture to store my many quilting books and magazines and a desk to hold my sewing machine.-- "A place for everything and everything in its place."

Marguerite Guinn wrote re: July Member Survey: Where do you look for inspiration for sewing room decorating/organizing ideas?
on Tuesday, 17 July 2012, 3:34 PM

I still love checking out magazines with an emphasis on country or cottage design.  Often many of the ideas are adaptable for my use.  I have a stash of quilt and design books that have more wonderful ideas than I'll ever finish! And then there is the internet.....

msteach22 wrote re: July Member Survey: Where do you look for inspiration for sewing room decorating/organizing ideas?
on Tuesday, 17 July 2012, 6:04 PM

I remember my mother turning a small closet/hallway/ room into her "SEWING ROOM!" she was soo proud of it! (Grew up in a 3 bdr house in Det, MI w/5 kids and a dog!) she painted it yellow, so when I was lucky enough to turn an extra bedroom into my Sewing room, naturally yellow was the color of choice!  I used granma's hand made embroidered pillowcases as valances and went from there!  Family pics next and finally craft projects!  Just finishing my first quilt to actually KEEP and hang on the hall!

on Tuesday, 17 July 2012, 10:14 PM

Everywhere!  I want my workplace light and bright so it has a large window.  I have a sliding door closet for storage and all the walls.  I use bins, buckets, tubes, boxes, shelves and try and use as many recycled/repurposed items as possible. I have gotten ideas from hardware stores, magazines, model homes, and a neighbor's garage. It is always a work in progress.  I do try and keep my fabric in containers so it is always easily visible.

Kathy Houston wrote re: July Member Survey: Where do you look for inspiration for sewing room decorating/organizing ideas?
on Wednesday, 18 July 2012, 12:45 AM

I get my inspiration from watching how to videos from people like Jenny Doan, Mary Fons, Eleanor Burns, Karen from Sew Many Ways,she has a blog, and other people on the Internet. I get inspiration from where their working or video's of their new sewing rooms. I have a lot of other people that I can't think of right this second to mention but there are many more. Right now I'm redoing my sewing room because I changed rooms and I really REALLY like Karen's room. It's so me it has all the colors I like and it's well, LIKE ME! I LOVE her sewing room.

Grandma Quilter wrote re: July Member Survey: Where do you look for inspiration for sewing room decorating/organizing ideas?
on Wednesday, 18 July 2012, 8:28 PM

My inspiration comes from what I see in stores, other's sewing rooms, and magazines.

LaurieLadd wrote re: July Member Survey: Where do you look for inspiration for sewing room decorating/organizing ideas?
on Thursday, 19 July 2012, 7:28 AM

I look to magazines and the internet to decorate my sewing/office room. I wish my room was bigger though.

Laurie

MNgutsygal wrote re: July Member Survey: Where do you look for inspiration for sewing room decorating/organizing ideas?
on Friday, 20 July 2012, 4:27 PM

I look at my magazines for ideas.  Really need a bigger room, like most of us I am using a basement bedroom.

sewbootiful wrote re: July Member Survey: Where do you look for inspiration for sewing room decorating/organizing ideas?
on Friday, 20 July 2012, 11:03 PM

I find inspiration from all over. I first started looking at Pinterest for different ideas - they have sewing room ideas in addition to plain old home organization that can be used. I also recently went to an event here in town where Debbie Caffrey spoke on how she organizes her fabric by cut then color, which I never thought of. I just recently moved into a house where I have a bonus room that a use for a sewing room rather than the corner in the spare bedroom I used to have, so finding good ways to design a functional room has been on the top of my list lately.Betsy

Diane Baranowski wrote re: July Member Survey: Where do you look for inspiration for sewing room decorating/organizing ideas?
on Monday, 23 July 2012, 2:34 PM

Decorating my sewing room came pretty easily for me. I had a number of small home sewn items that friends had given to me over time and those went up on the walls first. Secondly, my artist brother-in-law in Florida is associated with an art community that sponsored an art quilt exhibit and he sent me an autographed poster from the event. I quickly framed that and hung that. Thirdly, I have participated in several events where I've had my photo taken with quilt pattern/technique book authors. Along with autographs from those folks, including the owner of Bernina, those photos are on the walls. I also participated in Moda U some years back and made and hung a collage with all of the "postcard" patterns, fabric snippets, pins, etc. Then, at JoAnn Fabrics, I found a a plaque with the word "create" . My hubby painted it black to match all of the frames of items already on the walls. I purchased a framed photo of an antique sewing machine and hung that! Last but not least, as a breast cancer survivor, I participated in creating a "memorial" quilt that now hangs outside of the Vince Lomabardi Cancer Clinic at St. Luke's Hospital in Milwaukee, WI. I have a photo of that, publicity from the dedication event as well as pictures from a TV interview that resulted. I have very little space left in my sewing room now, but I'm sure that I'll be able to squeeeze in a few more things over time if I put my mind to it. All of the sewing room decor really is very meaningful to me. It feels good to work in there because the room sort of sings to me. I wish that you could see it.  Dee

KATHRYNC-5 wrote re: July Member Survey: Where do you look for inspiration for sewing room decorating/organizing ideas?
on Tuesday, 24 July 2012, 8:17 AM

The two most important elements in my sewing room are practical and fanciful.  The practical are two small pieces that are functional as well as beautiful.  One is a honey oak long dresser that has four deep drawers for storage.  Another is an antiqued blue small dresser with a cabinet and compartment next to it with three baskets for storage and a covered ironing board that opens up.  My favorite dolls stand on the dresser and on top of the closet.  Small quilts adorn my walls.  It is a cozy and creative place.  I love sewing to my music and news from the radio next to me at all times.

on Tuesday, 24 July 2012, 8:17 AM

Jacy wrote re: July Member Survey: Where do you look for inspiration for sewing room decorating/organizing ideas?
on Wednesday, 25 July 2012, 1:47 PM

I get lots of ideas and inspiration from fellow QCA members who post photos of their sewing rooms/spaces.

Kathy M. Boice wrote re: July Member Survey: Where do you look for inspiration for sewing room decorating/organizing ideas?
on Thursday, 26 July 2012, 2:04 PM

I actually inspire myself! I like easy to reach storage, conveinence, availability, everything I need within my area and displayed so that like things are together, etc. I look everywhere for storage units that would work for my collection of crafting items.

Doris wrote re: July Member Survey: Where do you look for inspiration for sewing room decorating/organizing ideas?
on Thursday, 26 July 2012, 3:34 PM

Some times I look at a hardware store or a bath Bed & beyond for unusual storage solutions.  Office Supply stores also offer many solutions for controlling embroidery printouts, sewing supplies.

Kristen wrote re: July Member Survey: Where do you look for inspiration for sewing room decorating/organizing ideas?
on Monday, 30 July 2012, 9:11 AM

I look for my design inspiration in my love of quilting books and on T.V.  I love home decorating shows and magazines.  Right now my space does not have a pulled together feel but I am working on it.  I like things that not only are beautiful to look at but are useful as well.  I am into organization and decoration.

Kristen

SewSis wrote re: July Member Survey: Where do you look for inspiration for sewing room decorating/organizing ideas?
on Tuesday, 31 July 2012, 2:39 PM

Quilt shops, antique shops, quilting websites and blogs are bursting with organizational ideas for  sewing and craft rooms. So I use them all, then tweak them a little to work for me. Recently I found a shelf at a garage sale that I turned upside down, removed a carved backboard that said Old Toys (now upside down and backwards!), drilled a hole through the shelf braces and added a dowel rod through the holes for quilt display.  Now it's a shelf for button jars amd fat quarters on top, and a display rod for my latest wall hanging on the bottom. $3 for the shelf. $1 for the dowel rod. Spruced it up with paint from the garage. The price is right! Who knows when the next inspiration will appear?

Janet wrote re: July Member Survey: Where do you look for inspiration for sewing room decorating/organizing ideas?
on Wednesday, 1 August 2012, 9:20 AM

I look at magazines, blogs, web pages and friends rooms.   I also hunt at hardware stores, dollar stores, garage and antique stores for storage items.   My eyes are constantly on the lookout for new ideas.

on Thursday, 16 August 2012, 9:44 AM

For inspiration for my sewing room decoration/organizing ideas ,I just lean towards what appeals to me ,what I have room for and what works best. Magazine and family ideas help tremendously.