OMG! ROFLOL! What does it all mean??

Due to popular demand, we're republishing this list of common (and some not so common!) acronyms you may be seeing on the site along with their meanings. If you have any to contribute please jot them down in the comment section below and we'll get them added to the list. Enjoy.

Common Online Phrases

AFK - Away From Keyboard

BBL - Be Back Later

IM(NS)HO - In My (Not So) Humble Opinion

LOL - Laugh Out Loud

OMG - Oh My Goodness

ROFLOL - Rolling on Floor Laughing Out Loud

TBR - To Be Read

TMI - Too Much Information

TTFN - Ta Ta For Now (Britishism)

TTYL - Talk To You Later

WWIT - What Was I Thinking?

Acronyms for Family Members

BSC - Blond Space Cadets (thanks to Spud for this one!)

DH - Dear Husband

DD - Dear Daughter (or Dear Dog)

DK - Dear Kitty (thanks to Sandy H.)

DS - Dear Son

FIL - Father-in-Law

MIL - Mother-in-Law

SIL - Sister-in-Law (or Son-in-Law)

Quilting Specific Acronyms

BOB - Beginner's Only Block (swap)

BOM - Block of the Month

CC - Counter Cut

DSM - Domestic Sewing Machine

DWR - Double Wedding Ring

EQ - Electric Quilt (Quilting Design Software)

FMQ - Free Motion Quilting

FQ - Fat Quarter

FW - Feather Weight (Singer Sewing Machine)

HST - Half-Square Triangle

KQ - Keepsake Quilting (one of our sponsors)

LA - Long Arm

LAQ - Long Arm Quilter

LQS - Local Quilt Shop

MAQ - Mid-Arm Quilter

MQ - Mystery Quilt

OBW - One-Block Wonder

QCA - Quilters Club of America

QOA - Quilt Out Loud (the online quilting show on QNNtv.com)

QST - Quarter Square Triangles

RST - Right Sides Together

SID - Stitch in Ditch

TOT - Tone-on-Tone

UFO - UnFinished Object

WOF - Width of Fabric

WOW - White On White

WST - Wrong Sides Together

Plus two popular slang terms:

Froggin' - ripping seams (you know, Rip it Rip It)

Reverse Sewing - Ooops! Made a mistake have to take it out and do it again

Other "Vital" Quilting Acronyms

BDNQ - Bad Day Not Quilting

CAT - Creating Artistic Treasures

COP - Creative Ongoing Project

DOG - Deciding Ongoing Gem

FART - Fabric Aquisition Road Trip

FIU - Finish It Up

FUN - Fabricating UNlimited

HSY - Haven't Started Yet

PEBCAK - Problem Exists Between Chair And Keyboard

PEBSMAQ - Problem Exists Between Sewing Machine And Quilter (invented by Gini)

PHD - Project Half Done (as in, "I'm working on my PHD")

PIGS - Projects in Grocery Sacks

QFH - Quilt from Hell

RUF - Really Ugly Fabric

SABLE - Stash Accumulation Beyond Life Expectancy

SEX - Stash Enhancing eXperience (or eXcursion)

STASH - Special Treasures All Secretly Hidden

SQ - Stupid Quilt (invented by Judy Iliff)

SQUID - Sewing a Quilt Until I Die (from AgnesEthel)

UFO - UnFinished Object (unfinished quilt)

TGIF - Thank God It's Finished!

WHIMM - Works Hidden In My Mind

WIP - Work In Progress

WISP - Work In Slow Progress

WIVSP - Work In Very Slow Progress

WIWMI - Wish It Would Make Itself

WOMBAT - Waste of Money, Batting, and Time

Comments

Vivian wrote re: OMG! ROFLOL! What does it all mean??
on Tuesday, 29 March 2011, 7:49 PM

OOKKAAAY!! Dosen't this help!!  Thank-you from everyone who sat at their computer and went HUH??

Anne wrote re: OMG! ROFLOL! What does it all mean??
on Tuesday, 29 March 2011, 9:39 PM

Actually helps me... was wondering what dh, mil, etc stood for.... LOL

Pat wrote re: OMG! ROFLOL! What does it all mean??
on Tuesday, 29 March 2011, 9:53 PM

Love those acronyms - especially "fart", "sex" and "stash". Way too funny, but oh, so true

DANGUS12@roadrunner.net wrote re: OMG! ROFLOL! What does it all mean??
on Tuesday, 29 March 2011, 11:34 PM

Thanks,Everyone who contributed to the listing.  I teach quilting techniques and am always looking for tidbits to share with my students.  They will love the FART, SEX, and new STASH definitions among others!  Dee

cappsfam wrote re: OMG! ROFLOL! What does it all mean??
on Wednesday, 30 March 2011, 5:22 PM

I'm afraid I have a SABLE condition in my house.  These acronyms are really helpful.  The only question that remains is, who gets the stash when I'm gone?  :)

Cheryl Dixon wrote re: OMG! ROFLOL! What does it all mean??
on Thursday, 31 March 2011, 12:27 PM

My kids figure if they have a fabric sale @ $1 a yard, other addicts will have more in their stash, my kids will be multi-millionaires and whatever is left will make GoodWill sooooo happy!  Now, about the teapots........

pepsi wrote re: OMG! ROFLOL! What does it all mean??
on Friday, 1 April 2011, 5:47 PM

BIL brother in law

Loretta wrote re: OMG! ROFLOL! What does it all mean??
on Monday, 4 April 2011, 9:27 PM

Love it, love it, love it!  I had heard most of these before, but several were new to me.  I especially enjoyed FART and RUF (my sisters purchase a lot of RUF - must be due to their age, does that mean it is RUFage??)

I will have to print these out and keep them handy!  Thanks so much for making me laugh today, I really needed it.

Marilyn wrote re: OMG! ROFLOL! What does it all mean??
on Wednesday, 25 May 2011, 11:14 PM

roflmao = rolling on floor laughing my a_ _ off

Jacquelyn wrote re: OMG! ROFLOL! What does it all mean??
on Sunday, 5 June 2011, 2:17 PM

Yeah!!!! acronyms , now how do I print just the list with out everyones comments attached   -

June Slay wrote re: OMG! ROFLOL! What does it all mean??
on Friday, 5 August 2011, 10:15 PM

I just read through all of these and had to smile.  Has anyone just wrote totally in this yet and gotten responses?  Love to see the answeres and try to figure them out.  :)

Gina C wrote re: OMG! ROFLOL! What does it all mean??
on Monday, 22 August 2011, 5:39 PM

Some of those are too funny and I need to be using them.  lol

Gwennie wrote re: OMG! ROFLOL! What does it all mean??
on Monday, 31 October 2011, 1:22 AM

Now I know what you are all talking about.  Thanks a lot.

Gwen

Flojo wrote re: OMG! ROFLOL! What does it all mean??
on Sunday, 13 November 2011, 10:35 AM

Gina I copied and pasted only the acronyms into Microsoft Word.  Can be stored and/or printed from there.  Or paste in e-mail and print.

Thanks Gina, I have done the same.

FYI I thought  TTFN came from Tigger, of Winnie the Pooh fame! Of course Pooh bear is Brittish!

Sheila wrote re: OMG! ROFLOL! What does it all mean??
on Thursday, 17 November 2011, 8:50 AM

If you have Excel or other spreadsheet program, the copy & paste works in it, too and you don't have to do much in the way of formatting. Some of these are hysterical and I will definitely be using them more!!

Llinda Salter wrote re: OMG! ROFLOL! What does it all mean??
on Thursday, 22 December 2011, 7:12 PM

In May 2010, We took a trip to see our ds and ddil in Alaska.  There is a list of all the quilt shops on the internet.   I hit all the shops but the ones in Fairbanks and North Pole.  Yes, the  North Pole has a very nice quilt shop.     The material was sent home by the Post office.  That was some  FART.  My small quilt group has dips on each other fabric stash.

pat wrote re: OMG! ROFLOL! What does it all mean??
on Friday, 16 March 2012, 1:49 AM

very confused where can i go to get help new super beginner at sewing and quilting really nerding some advice

pat wrote re: OMG! ROFLOL! What does it all mean??
on Friday, 16 March 2012, 1:52 AM

where can i go for somehelp and advice super beginner to sewing and quilting but very interested

m.verde@sbcglobal.net wrote re: OMG! ROFLOL! What does it all mean??
on Sunday, 15 April 2012, 1:18 PM

This list is terrific!  I learned so many new acronyms that i didn't know!  Thanks

Maryellen

Susan wrote re: OMG! ROFLOL! What does it all mean??
on Wednesday, 25 April 2012, 11:47 AM

How about what my husband says I have...

QOCD....Quilting obssesive compulsive disorder

Susan wrote re: OMG! ROFLOL! What does it all mean??
on Wednesday, 25 April 2012, 11:59 AM

Oops... That should have read

QOCD.... Quilting obsessive compulsive disorderED!