Here is a recap of the winners of this year's QCA Summer Block Contest. Congratulations, everyone!
Grand Prize: And the winner is ... damajade
She will receive the Baby Lock Audrey!
And here are the winners in each of the eight themed categories:
- Red White & Boom: And the winner
is .... Wendy
Blanket Bingo: And the winner is .... justme_70444
Lake Campsite: And the winner is .... Wendy
Picnic: And the winner is ... Lisa
Tea Garden: And the winner is ... Cassie22
the Farm: And the winner is ... Kim Z
Escape: And the winner is ... damajade
Ideal Summer: And the winner is ... Jane
Runner ups: And the winners were ... sli911, mjr1110 and Linny t
Each of these winners will receive fabric from one of our generous fabric sponsors!
And, again, a big THANK YOU to everyone who submitted a block. It was so fun to see the creative diversity within the QCA Community!
We're throwing a party and you're invited
What are your fondest memories or traditions of summer? Is it time on the beach or grilling on the back deck or camping on a lake? Join our Summer Block Party for some quilting fun and games and share your favorite memories of summer. There will be lots of chances to win prizes.
Stop by the QCA Party Patio - Happy Hour Every Thursday starting July 21st!
To add to the fun, stop by official Party Patio on QCA anytime during our Block Party and share your summertime adventures and stories. We'll be hosting a virtual "Happy Hour" every Thursday with recipes for summertime treats and fun activities.
Visit the Party Blog for some free summer-themed recipes and quilt patterns you can download, plus a list of our full calendar of Party Patio activities.
Drop in and say hi and participate in our weekly giveway contests in the Discussions forums. It's like a virtual summer party with all of your favorite quilting friends on QCA.
Join Our Summer Block Party Contest
To participate, make a 10x10 inch (finished size) quilt block using any of the eight official Summer Block Party themes listed below. Post pictures of your blocks on QCA (see dates and details below). You can enter as many blocks as you like, choosing one theme per block. You get to vote on your favorites. Prizes will be given out for the most popular block in each theme and for the overall Grand Prize Editor's Choice Winner.
See What You Could Win!
Announcing the Block Contest Grand Prize: The Audrey from Baby Lock ($599 value!)
No matter where you love to sew, Audrey is the free-spirited friend you'll want by your side. At just 12.8 lbs., this lightweight machine can easily travel or attend classes with you! What a wonderful prize - THANK YOU, Baby Lock! The Summer Block Party Contest Theme winners will win $50 worth of fabric from these generous sponsors!How Do I Participate?
Choose a Theme. Make a block based on that theme. Enter it into Show & Tell by August 15th using the instructions below.
Summer Block Party Contest Themes
You can enter as many blocks as you want, but you can choose only one theme per block.
- Red White and Boom! - July 4th fireworks and patriotic parades - red, white and blue
- Beach Blanket Bingo - Sunglasses, surf boards, flip flops, beach umbrellas, bright stripes, bold colors
- Summer Lake Campsite - Fishing, swimming, campfires, boating, pine trees
- Backyard Picnic - Watermelon, barbecue, green grass, picnic blankets, family pets
- Country Tea Garden - Flowers, butterflies, birds, watering cans, gardening tools
- On The Farm - Barns, farm animals, tractors, wind mills, chickens, apple pie
- Seaside Escape - Sailboats, crabs, sea shells, light houses, ocean waves
- My Ideal Summer - Share your own unique vision of the ideal summer spot!
Block Contest Timeline:
All deadlines are for midnight EST on the date listed below.
- July 15th (Fri): Contest Begins (see block submission rules below)
- August 15th (Mon): Deadline for entering the contest
- August 18th (Thu): Ballot posted on QCA - Voting begins
- August 24th (Wed): Voting Ends
- August 25th (Thu): Prize Winners are announced at Thursday Happy Hour at 7:00 pm EST
- Block Size: 10-1/2 x 10-1/2 inches square unfinished (10 x 10 inches finished size)
- Fabric: Any fabric or embellishments you choose in any colors you want
- Design: Any design you wish - from traditional to original
- Theme: Choose from any of the eight Summer Block Party themes listed above
How to Submit your Blocks:
- Photograph your block(s) and save the images on your computer.
- Upload your block photos to the Show & Tell Gallery. (NOTE: If this is your first time posting in the Gallery, read the instructions here on how to set up your personal Gallery first: Explore and Participate in the Show & Tell Gallery! )
- IMPORTANT: To have your block(s) included in the contest you must tag each block using the special contest tags in the Show & Tell dropdown menu under QCA Fun.
- First, select the QCA Summer Block Party 2011 tag to identify your block as a contest entry.
- Next, choose from the same dropdown list one of the eight Block Party theme tags that is most appropriate for your block. PLEASE NOTE - you can only select one theme per block.
- For fun, add any personal memories about summer that inspired your block.
- The deadline to submit your blocks is August 15th!
Here is how to tag your blocks in the Show & Tell Gallery:
No additional registration necessary - Simply tag your blocks and you are entered into the contest!
Voting for the Winners:
After all the blocks are in we will post an online ballot on the QCA website. QCA members can vote on their favorite blocks in each of the Block Party Contest Themes above.
Contact QCA Liz S. if you have any questions or comments about the contest. We hope you have fun!