2011 Summer Block Party: And the winners are ...

Here is a recap of the winners of this year's QCA Summer Block Contest. Congratulations, everyone!

Grand Prize: And the winner is ... damajade

She will receive the Baby Lock Audrey!

The Audrey from Baby LockBaby Lock

And here are the winners in each of the eight themed categories:

1. Red White & Boom: And the winner is .... Wendy
  2. Beach Blanket Bingo: And the winner is .... justme_70444
  3. Summer Lake Campsite: And the winner is .... Wendy
  4. Backyard Picnic: And the winner is ... Lisa
  5. Country Tea Garden: And the winner is ... Cassie22
  6. On the Farm: And the winner is ... Kim Z
  7. Seaside Escape: And the winner is ... damajade
  8. My Ideal Summer: And the winner is ... Jane

Runner ups: And the winners were ... sli911, mjr1110 and Linny t

Each of these winners will receive fabric from one of our generous fabric sponsors!

Blank QuiltingHoffman FabricsMaywood Studio

Windham FabricsWestminster

And, again, a big THANK YOU to everyone who submitted a block. It was so fun to see the creative diversity within the QCA Community!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We're throwing a party and you're invited

What are your fondest memories or traditions of summer? Is it time on the beach or grilling on the back deck or camping on a lake? Join our Summer Block Party for some quilting fun and games and share your favorite memories of summer. There will be lots of chances to win prizes.

Stop by the QCA Party Patio - Happy Hour Every Thursday starting July 21st!

To add to the fun, stop by official Party Patio on QCA anytime during our Block Party and share your summertime adventures and stories. We'll be hosting a virtual "Happy Hour" every Thursday with recipes for summertime treats and fun activities.

Visit the Party Blog for some free summer-themed recipes and quilt patterns you can download, plus a list of our full calendar of Party Patio activities.

Drop in and say hi and participate in our weekly giveway contests in the Discussions forums. It's like a virtual summer party with all of your favorite quilting friends on QCA.

Join Our Summer Block Party Contest

To participate, make a 10x10 inch (finished size) quilt block using any of the eight official Summer Block Party themes listed below. Post pictures of your blocks on QCA (see dates and details below). You can enter as many blocks as you like, choosing one theme per block. You get to vote on your favorites. Prizes will be given out for the most popular block in each theme and for the overall Grand Prize Editor's Choice Winner.

See What You Could Win!

Announcing the Block Contest Grand Prize: The Audrey from Baby Lock ($599 value!)

No matter where you love to sew, Audrey is the free-spirited friend you'll want by your side. At just 12.8 lbs., this lightweight machine can easily travel or attend classes with you! What a wonderful prize - THANK YOU, Baby Lock! The Summer Block Party Contest Theme winners will win $50 worth of fabric from these generous sponsors!How Do I Participate?

Choose a Theme. Make a block based on that theme. Enter it into Show & Tell by August 15th using the instructions below.

Summer Block Party Contest Themes
You can enter as many blocks as you want, but you can choose only one theme per block.

1. Red White and Boom!  - July 4th fireworks and patriotic parades - red, white and blue
  2. Beach Blanket Bingo - Sunglasses, surf boards, flip flops, beach umbrellas, bright stripes, bold colors
  3. Summer Lake Campsite - Fishing, swimming, campfires, boating, pine trees
  4. Backyard Picnic - Watermelon, barbecue, green grass, picnic blankets, family pets
  5. Country Tea Garden - Flowers, butterflies, birds, watering cans, gardening tools
  6. On The Farm - Barns, farm animals, tractors, wind mills, chickens, apple pie
  7. Seaside Escape - Sailboats, crabs, sea shells, light houses, ocean waves
  8. My Ideal Summer - Share your own unique vision of the ideal summer spot!

Block Contest Timeline:
All deadlines are for midnight EST on the date listed below.

• July 15th (Fri):                Contest Begins (see block submission rules below)
  • August 15th (Mon):        Deadline for entering the contest
  • August 18th (Thu):          Ballot posted on QCA - Voting begins
  • August 24th (Wed):         Voting Ends
  • August 25th (Thu):          Prize Winners are announced at Thursday Happy Hour at 7:00 pm EST

Block Requirements:

• Block Size:       10-1/2 x 10-1/2 inches square unfinished (10 x 10 inches finished size)
  • Fabric:             Any fabric or embellishments you choose in any colors you want
  • Design:             Any design you wish - from traditional to original
  • Theme:             Choose from any of the eight Summer Block Party themes listed above

How to Submit your Blocks:

1. Photograph your block(s) and save the images on your computer.
  2. Upload your block photos to the Show & Tell Gallery. (NOTE: If this is your first time posting in the Gallery, read the instructions here on how to set up your personal Gallery first: Explore and Participate in the Show & Tell Gallery! )
  3. IMPORTANT: To have your block(s) included in the contest you must tag each block using the special contest tags in the Show & Tell dropdown menu under QCA Fun.
    1. First, select the QCA Summer Block Party 2011 tag to identify your block as a contest entry.
    2. Next, choose from the same dropdown list one of the eight Block Party theme tags that is most appropriate for your block. PLEASE NOTE - you can only select one theme per block.
  4. For fun, add any personal memories about summer that inspired your block.
  5. The deadline to submit your blocks is August 15th!

Here is how to tag your blocks in the Show & Tell Gallery:

No additional registration necessary - Simply tag your blocks and you are entered into the contest!

Voting for the Winners:

After all the blocks are in we will post an online ballot on the QCA website.  QCA members can vote on their favorite blocks in each of the Block Party Contest Themes above.

Questions? Comments?

Contact QCA Liz S. if you have any questions or comments about the contest. We hope you have fun!

Comments

ecampbell325@msn.com wrote re: QCA's 2011 Summer Block Party
on Friday, 8 July 2011, 9:27 PM

how do  I get the pattern for the block party contest?

Oldnanny2 wrote re: QCA's 2011 Summer Block Party
on Saturday, 9 July 2011, 5:22 PM

I was wondering if the block party is for paid members only.

Thanks

Margie

Judi wrote re: QCA's 2011 Summer Block Party
on Sunday, 10 July 2011, 7:11 PM

SInce I do not have any quilting software for designing, I had better get out my thinking hat and begin to design.  This seems like it will be fun!

QCA Admin wrote re: QCA's 2011 Summer Block Party
on Monday, 11 July 2011, 10:47 AM

ecampbell and Oldnanny2,

Anyone can particiate in the contest - but you must be registered on the site (ie supply username, password and email) so you can post your images.

You get to create your own block by choosing one of the eight themes above. Each block should be 10x10 finished.

Have fun!

QCA Peg

Gwennie wrote re: QCA's 2011 Summer Block Party
on Tuesday, 12 July 2011, 3:01 AM

Are these contests that you have occasionally open to overseas entrants?

Helen Bell wrote re: QCA's 2011 Summer Block Party
on Tuesday, 12 July 2011, 10:56 AM

do we need to register or just enter the block in "Show and Tell" by August 15th??

Liz S. (AKA QCA Liz) wrote re: QCA's 2011 Summer Block Party
on Thursday, 14 July 2011, 1:48 PM

Gwendoline -

Good news - This contest is open to overseas entrants. The only difference is that overseas prizewinners will receive an electronic gift certificate to an online quilting store instead of being shipped a physical prize. We hope you will join us!

Helen -

No registration is required other than properly tagging your blocks in Show & Tell with the Block Party and themed tags.

Karla wrote re: QCA's 2011 Summer Block Party
on Thursday, 14 July 2011, 8:32 PM

I've tried downloading the block without success...problem?

Liz S. (AKA QCA Liz) wrote re: QCA's 2011 Summer Block Party
on Friday, 15 July 2011, 1:23 PM

There is no pattern to download - you can use any block pattern you wish!

Gina C wrote re: QCA's 2011 Summer Block Party
on Saturday, 16 July 2011, 2:55 PM

I have a block to submit but can't figure out how to get it done. Can you tell me how to submit the block?

Gina C wrote re: QCA's 2011 Summer Block Party
on Sunday, 17 July 2011, 1:42 PM

Under QCA Fun, summer block party isn't highlighted. . .like the other categories.  I'm new here so haven't submitted a block before and just may not know how to do it, but so far I have enjoyed being a member.

Liz S. (AKA QCA Liz) wrote re: QCA's 2011 Summer Block Party
on Tuesday, 19 July 2011, 4:38 PM

Dear Gina,

Wow, I am excited that our Block Contest will be your first Gallery Post. We have a link to a full set of instructions on how to post pictures in the Show & Tell Gallery in the left sidebar of the home page. Or you can just click on the link here:

www.quiltersclubofamerica.com/.../step-6-upload-your-images-in-the-show-amp-tell-gallery.aspx

The new Block Party categories are not yet highlighted because we have not yet received entries in those categories yet. But you can still select those tags when you upload your block image.

Hope this helps!

Gina C wrote re: QCA's 2011 Summer Block Party
on Tuesday, 19 July 2011, 8:59 PM

Thanks so much for the help, Liz.  I did get my block posted.  I was inspired right away when I saw the contest and found what I thought was the perfect block in which to display my fireworks.

Caryl Anne wrote re: QCA's 2011 Summer Block Party
on Thursday, 21 July 2011, 10:48 AM

This sounds like fun. I'll get my thinking cap screwed on tight in a day or so and go to work. Just finished up a BOM for a local shop and snice we have at least a few weeks for the secret window, I am ready to do something else.

My question is are we sending these in at sometime? if not why does it have to be a  10x10 finished block?

Just asking, I'm going to do it as reqested, but others might wonder as well.

Carylanne

Liz S. (AKA QCA Liz) wrote re: QCA's 2011 Summer Block Party
on Friday, 22 July 2011, 12:42 PM

Caryl Anne,

Good question about the finished size. We are not requiring that you send your blocks in. We wanted to make the contest easy. Still, we thought that if we got a big response to the contest that some members might be inspired to swap their blocks or combine them to make a charity quilt. We thought that providing a consistent block size would make that easier. We'll leave that all up to you!

QCA Liz S.

Jane wrote re: QCA's 2011 Summer Block Party
on Saturday, 30 July 2011, 4:39 PM

Just posted my block, thanks for the contest, it was fun thinking out of the box

Sue wrote re: QCA's 2011 Summer Block Party
on Thursday, 11 August 2011, 2:36 AM

I posted my block too and some time next year I am playing to take the trip I promised myself on Route 66. I hope you enjoy looking at my block as much as I did making it. It is embroidery I hope that is allowed.

Sue D Ohio

Carey wrote re: QCA's 2011 Summer Block Party
on Saturday, 13 August 2011, 10:25 PM

I get so bummed out when you can enter more than one per category because then they just get deluged with blocks by the same person ,no offense Lisa. But then I feel like noone else has a chance to win anything.  I mean is there a rule on how many prizes someone can win? I'm not mad just kinda depressed on the subject.

Kelley wrote re: QCA's 2011 Summer Block Party
on Sunday, 14 August 2011, 5:22 AM

I think I posted my block correctly Liz. But it doesn't show up for me..

Wendy wrote re: QCA's 2011 Summer Block Party
on Sunday, 14 August 2011, 11:52 PM

Carey,

Don't be bummed,  We are the ones that get to vote by ballot.  We all have different tastes.  some of Lisa's pictures are of the same block, but only the block itself will be on the ballot.  I do agree however that it should have been limited to one entry per category.

Lisa wrote re: QCA's 2011 Summer Block Party
on Monday, 15 August 2011, 11:05 AM

Carey     I agree with Wendy please don't be bummed. I did put pictures of the same block up on 2 of the blocks so that people could see how I made them. They are kind of interactive blocks a lot more to them then just the front of the block. I tried to put them all in the same post but that did not work. I am sure that next year they will go over the rules again and make some changes with everyones input this year. Good luck to everyone I am amazed at all of the blockes entered they are beautiful.

Lisa

QCA Admin wrote re: QCA's 2011 Summer Block Party
on Tuesday, 16 August 2011, 12:54 PM

Hi everyone,

Lisa is EXACTLY right. This is our very first (of what we hope will many more) block contests! We'll go through the entire process and see how we can make it better for next year. We appreciate hearing from everyone. And a BIG thanks to each of you who participated. :)

QCA Peg

Julie wrote re: QCA's 2011 Summer Block Party
on Thursday, 18 August 2011, 7:52 AM

Who can vote?  Can all members vote?  Even "free" members?

Theresia wrote re: QCA's 2011 Summer Block Party
on Thursday, 18 August 2011, 8:44 AM

Love looking at all the wonderful, and creative blocks, how do we vote for the ones we like best, and can we vote for more then one block.  Theresia

Carey wrote re: QCA's 2011 Summer Block Party
on Thursday, 18 August 2011, 11:53 AM

Thank you guys. I feel a little bit better allready.

QCA Admin wrote re: 2011 Summer Block Party - Time to Vote!
on Thursday, 18 August 2011, 12:47 PM

Hi Julie,

Yes, ALL members can vote! Info on how to do that is at the top of this post.

QCA Peg

Beats Me wrote re: 2011 Summer Block Party - Time to Vote!
on Thursday, 18 August 2011, 1:08 PM

When I try to vote, I get sent to Survey Monkey!  I went through the entire survey, thinking that I could then go back and vote but no...There is no way to opt out of the Survey Monkey.

QCA Admin wrote re: 2011 Summer Block Party - Time to Vote!
on Thursday, 18 August 2011, 8:03 PM

Beats Me,

That's how you vote - via the Survey Monkey questions. Each question has a list of the entries in that category or theme (eight altogether), and you select which one you like best. Hope that explains it a bit!

QCA Peg

Valerie Burgess wrote re: 2011 Summer Block Party - Time to Announce the Winners!
on Saturday, 27 August 2011, 8:25 AM

This contest was so fun and motivating.  All the block entries were artistic and interpreted in such a variety of ways.  Thank you QCA for the inspirational opportunity to express our sewing talents.

I am really excited my Beach Blanket Bingo block won.  That was the category I struggled with the most.

I have not received an official notification.  Do I need to do anything?

QCA Admin wrote re: 2011 Summer Block Party - Time to Announce the Winners!
on Tuesday, 30 August 2011, 10:50 AM

Hi Valerie,

FYI, I just sent you an email today requesting your address. :)

QCA Peg

Valerie Burgess wrote re: 2011 Summer Block Party: And the winners are ...
on Saturday, 19 November 2011, 8:11 AM

Hi QCA

I was just wondering how long before my Block Party prize would arrive.  Did I send the right information?

Valerie