What is your favorite organization or charity to sew for?

Do you stop between projects to sew them or make them at a particular event?

Comments

Diane Morgan wrote re: What is your favorite organization or charity to sew for?
on Thursday, 4 November 2010, 10:54 AM

I've just started making quilts for Downy Kids and I love it. I work on it in between other projects that might have a time constraint on them. I'm hoping after the holiday season that I can start doing more quilts for Downy Kids. I hope they all find a happy home for someone who really needs it.

chocake2 wrote re: What is your favorite organization or charity to sew for?
on Thursday, 4 November 2010, 11:02 AM

What is my favorite organization to sew for? That's easy. The local nursing home and the sherrif's office. I make quick lap quilts for the nursing home. Face it, when a person's health goes, they have trouble staying warm. So often folks  feel  bewildered and abandoned when they enter a nursing home. The idea that I take the time to make them something special often brings tears to their eyes.  If they are lucky enough to go home after their rehabilitation, they can take the quilt with them. I back them with flannel to help keep them from sliding off laps, and add a little extra tactile comfort.

As for the sheriff's office, the deputies keep small blankets in their trunks to offer  to those in need. They're comforting gifts when families break apart or suffer violence, and often help to break the ice with folks who would otherwise mistrust the cops. When we had a house fire here recently, a quilt was bundled around the pajama clad kids. A quick top backed with fleece does the job just fine -- there's no need to even use batting in these!

Joan L. wrote re: What is your favorite organization or charity to sew for?
on Friday, 5 November 2010, 9:30 AM

Diane, I checked in on downey quilts and the rules said no quilts from homes with pets. How do you get around that? I know you said you have kitties. I can't give up my dog, he's a member of the family.

Joan

sewgrateful wrote re: What is your favorite organization or charity to sew for?
on Friday, 5 November 2010, 1:59 PM

Every year my Quilt Guild donates quilts to Hospice and also four times a year I make small quilts for Operation Kid Comfort. It's an organization that sends out kits to be made for children of parents in Afghanistan and Iraq. All the quilts have pictures of the parents and children. What a wonderful thing for a child to be able to go to sleep holding a picture of mom or dad! I am sewgrateful to be able to make those quilts and wish I had time to do more of them. Sewgrateful

Marge (AKA Dimples) wrote re: What is your favorite organization or charity to sew for?
on Friday, 5 November 2010, 4:49 PM

I've done four Downey Quilts for Kids now and will do some more after I get all my holday projects done.  Joan - I have pets like Diane but the last thing your supposed to do is wash the quilt with one of the "free" detergents - you know, no dyes and such.  I package it up right out of the dryer so it is "pet free".

I do a lot for Project Linus.  Our Griifin chapter takes care of needs in four counties - fire dept., sheriff, child and family services, etc.  Last year, our chapter of about 20 ladies did over 10,000 blankets and quilts.

Libby wrote re: What is your favorite organization or charity to sew for?
on Saturday, 6 November 2010, 1:35 PM

I have done several quilts for kids, also. I am currently working on one of my own and have another selection of fabric setting aside for them.  I don't remember seeing a no pets clause when I first signed up, I have both cats and dogs, I had better reread for safety.

I also sew for Quilts of Valor. So far our local chapter gets donations from area businesses associated with the military, and is able to furnish kits. I meet with them once a month to sew and chat. Working on the quilt in my free time as the month goes on.

DBLTurtle wrote re: What is your favorite organization or charity to sew for?
on Friday, 19 November 2010, 12:04 AM

I haven't sewn any projects for charity recently, though I did once donate a decorated bra for a show benefiting a cancer center. Several years ago I participated with some friends and made a block for  the Names Aids quilt in memory of our mutual friend who passed away from the disease.

I've knitted 5 scarves to donate this holiday season to a gift and clothing drive through my work. I like to relax with the knitting when I'm not quilting, the scarves are good to knit, because they don't take too much concentration.

TheQuiltDaddy wrote re: What is your favorite organization or charity to sew for?
on Friday, 4 February 2011, 6:59 PM

I meet with a group from our church every Thursday for 3 hours to make quilts for the ROnald McDonald House in Gainsville, FL. We have been doing this since 1985 and to date have donated more than 2500 quilts to them for their distribution. Every child from birth through 21 receives a quilt at no charge to them when they come to stay at the House. The best reward is when you show up to unload a car full of quilts the kids come running to help to see if there is one they would like to have.

My family is always saying that I earn my way into heaven every day because I pay it forward to help those who cannot help themselves or others.

LinRupp wrote re: What is your favorite organization or charity to sew for?
on Tuesday, 25 December 2012, 3:33 PM

"Sew Much Comfort"   I sew adaptive wear for injured veterans. I usually make these while doing other projects of my own.

The guild I belong to also provides quilted projects to a women's domestic violence shelter, and men/women in the VA hospital locally. We made Christmas stocking for children in a local children's hospital and for the VA hospitalized this season in addition.