What is your favorite thing to sew for gifts?

For some fun ideas, check out the Winter issue of Easy Quilts, as well as the November/December issue of Love of Quilting!

Comments

chocake2 wrote re: What is your favorite thing to sew for gifts?
on Wednesday, 27 October 2010, 9:36 AM

I have to have a favorite?? Gee...talk about pressure! Ok...Ummm...Hmmm? Let me think.

Bed quilts don't happen very often in the gift dept. They take too long. I've done a few quick lap quilts for folks who really need some serious short-order love delivered to thier door.  Wine bottle cozies are a must for folks I don't know too well, but want to give something nice. I also stitch up a lot of gift bags. They aren't the actual gift, but the gifty usually seems to like them. Custome designed wallhangings are another popular choice, for folks who already have everything.  Last year I used up a lot of Christmas fabrics making tree orniments to use as gift tags...does that count?

MauraP wrote re: What is your favorite thing to sew for gifts?
on Wednesday, 27 October 2010, 10:34 AM

A nice home crafted gift is always nice, because you think of the recipient the whole time you're creating it.  Some of my favorites are bags, bags, and more bags; potholders, nursing slings, baby quilts for  new grandmas, placemats, (one) couch quilt.

Snowbird Quilter wrote re: What is your favorite thing to sew for gifts?
on Wednesday, 27 October 2010, 11:45 AM

My mood or current interest seems to drive what I make.  I've made king and queen sized quilts, baby quilts, large lap quilts, placemats, coasters and pot pickers!  I'm never organized enough to make Christmas gifts.  They always arrive late.  Like the 4th of JULY!!

Each large quilt that I've made for my children has been well used, some to rags. :)  It's too early to tell if the grandchildren will love to death the few I've made for them.

Ann McDaniel wrote re: What is your favorite thing to sew for gifts?
on Wednesday, 27 October 2010, 1:21 PM

I just learned how to make a pillowcase! It has become my new best favorite thing right now!  I love how easy this method is (the hot-dog roll) and how many different ways you can change a boring pillowcase!

Kate R. wrote re: What is your favorite thing to sew for gifts?
on Tuesday, 28 December 2010, 10:17 PM

I love to make either lap quilts or rag quilts which are great up in the frozen North. Lap quilts are good as often I send my quilts home to Australia in someone's luggage so they are just the right size. People know that you love them when you give them a present like this made by hand.

Sue wrote re: What is your favorite thing to sew for gifts?
on Saturday, 17 September 2011, 11:40 PM

I too love to make pillow cases.  I just learned to sew  them using  what I call the  new easy way and make them for friends and family for whatever purpose.   They really like them and want more.

Sue wrote re: What is your favorite thing to sew for gifts?
on Saturday, 17 September 2011, 11:43 PM

I too love to make pillow cases.  I recently learned to make them what I call the new easy way and give them for gifts for friends and family.  They want more.