An Impatient Customer

The editorial offices for Fons & Porter's is in Winterset, Iowa along with a quilt shop. We get people from all over that stop in to visit the shop when they are traveling through the area. Sometimes they are in the area to see the covered bridges and other times they have stopped to see the birth place of John Wayne.

The other day we had an unusual customer trying to get into the store before it was time for it to open.

As you can see from the photo it was a rather furry and impatient customer. We're not quite sure what quilting project she was working on that she needed to get supplies for in such a hurry.

Even in a small town such as Winterset, it is quite unusual to see a raccoon running around the town square. She decided to take to the door knob when the animal control officer was trying to get her into a live trap.

I'm happy to report that she was captured in the live trap and taken out into the country and set free.

Happy quilting and come visit us!

Tony Jacobson, Art Director

Comments

Susie wrote re: An Impatient Customer
on Saturday, 1 May 2010, 11:54 AM

She's a quilter for sure!

TANYELB wrote re: An Impatient Customer
on Saturday, 1 May 2010, 1:31 PM

We had a family of three racoons once that took a liking to the rod iron on my front door.  My kids thought it was fun to watch them through the glass while we waited on the exterminator to come get them.  I did not find it humorous.   They were trapped and hauled away to be set free. I never thought that they may have been after my stash, but who knows.

Edie Newman wrote re: An Impatient Customer
on Saturday, 1 May 2010, 8:34 PM

I love animals but not racoons, oppossums, squirrels,etc. I'd be mortified to find a raccoon at my front door.  I wouldn't have gone near the door till the exterminator came to get it away.  You are truly brave to have taken the photo and to have stayed around till it was taken away.

lea ritchot wrote re: An Impatient Customer
on Sunday, 2 May 2010, 4:12 PM

That's a unique picture, from some determined master quilter..Funny, we can almost compare to some quilt personality in true reality..I have a kitten and sometimes I tk he resembles someone or other in personality traits..

DAVIDK wrote re: An Impatient Customer
on Sunday, 2 May 2010, 5:21 PM

To finish my comments.  Living in the city of Huntsville, Alabama, nicknamed the Rocket City. I have a backyard that goes nearly to a creek. I have come home in the evening to see possums in my kitchen eating dinner and my cat calmly sitting in the doorway watching. I have raccoons that come in when there is not food on the back steps. My little female cat brings in live chipmunks and plays with them. It use to be that my male cat who is a black and white and was named O.Jay use to bring in chipmunks two at a time with not injuries. But when he found my other female killing them he stopped bring them in. He use to bring in live birds and turn them loose in the house and he has brought me snakes. I was barefooted the time he brought in the first one. It was a small, about 18 inches long and I think it was green but I am not sure. I was in a hurry to get the grabber and throw the snake out. He is such an affectionate cat. He is a lover not a killer. Oh, they have brought in rabbits too. I had a turtle going across the back yard one time they didn't try to bring him in. The turtle and the coyote were the only animals they have missed so far.

Is there any way we could put my name on this membership instead of my husbands. He doesn't quilt.

Henriellen S. Kibler  ohenri66@comcast.net

Judy Johnson wrote re: An Impatient Customer
on Monday, 3 May 2010, 11:30 AM

Henriellen, (AKA DavidK)

To add your name, near the top of the screen, in the green area, click on My Profile. That will take to a screen where edit profile should show up on the right. Click on that. You should see avatar, with Bio below it. Scroll down to the boxes where you can enter your name, occupation, birthday etc. You don't have to fill them all out. Your name doesn't have to be your real name, it can be a nickname. If I were you I would take your email address out of the public email section near the bottom of that page, unless that is a business email address that you want published.

If this doesn't work, contact QCA Admin.

quiltprn wrote re: An Impatient Customer
on Sunday, 23 May 2010, 2:25 AM

To me, he looks like he's checking the hours - planning to come back when the store's open.

genied14 wrote re: An Impatient Customer
on Friday, 18 June 2010, 12:53 PM

A discerning quilter...It's obvious, she wants THAT shade of blue in the window!

Jean wrote re: An Impatient Customer
on Friday, 18 June 2010, 6:39 PM

when I was a child (many, many years ago), my father had 2 pet raccoons.  He kept them on leashes when he took them out of the cages because they would bite. My sister and I were very careful to stay out of their reach.  We learned early that 'coons  and all wild animals should be respected.  We also learned to love animals. No, we were never bitten by the raccoons, but a few other folks were.

Alice wrote re: An Impatient Customer
on Friday, 18 June 2010, 11:36 PM

When we first moved to Tustin, neighbors told us there had been a great deal of trouble with raccoons getting into attics and garages.  And a great deal of trouble getting them out again, too.  We were sitting at the kitchen table one lunchtime, when over our heads came  this knock-knock-knock-knock-knock, just like the sound a dog makes when it scratches its head with a hind paw and thumps on the floor.  Well! This is interesting!  What is in the kitchen attic?  Just as importantly, how did it get in?  And HOW BIG IS IT????

When my husband climbed the ladder and checked, he found a hole that had been scratched through the old, soft cedar shakes.  (No one had lived in the house for four years.)  It was big enough for an adult raccoon--and sure enough, soon after that we saw the family helping themselves to the figs on our large Black Mission  fig tree.   Any night we might hear the smacking sounds of a raccoon feast, up in that tree.  Or we might be awakened by the galloping of raccoon paws over the roof as they took a short-cut .  We had quickly barred the door to the raccoon penthouse with a sheet of tin.  It wasn't long before the aging roof was replaced, and no more raccoons thumped on the kitchen ceiling while they scratched their itches.

peachygran wrote re: An Impatient Customer
on Monday, 21 June 2010, 3:00 PM

I used to live near Indianola, before moving to the South, and raccoons were a common sight at our farm.  Kept our dogs busy keeping them out of the sweet corn.  I never had one try to quilt with me, tho!

Sara Nelson wrote re: An Impatient Customer
on Tuesday, 22 June 2010, 5:04 PM

Some times we are surprised, when an animal show such intelligence.

Nellie Heatherly wrote re: An Impatient Customer
on Thursday, 24 June 2010, 12:01 AM

such a cute little critter to bad they can be so dangerous to us humans. I knew a man once who got  bit by a 'coon and almost lost his hand. Took a very long time to heal as far as I know he never messed with a racoon again.

birdwalkquiltgallery wrote re: An Impatient Customer
on Monday, 5 July 2010, 11:50 PM

I don''t have raccoons in my neck of the country, but do have deer that often walk up to my gallery and look in the window...