Quilts for Pet Lovers

In the fall issue of Easy Quilts we are going to have some quilts that will appeal to the pet lovers in our quilting community. I myself am the proud parent to two large dogs (an Old English Sheepdog and a Newfoundland Mix) as well as a 17-year-old cat.

I am fairly new to longarm quilting but here I am at the longarm quilting machine trying to improve my quilting skills. The quilt I am working on is the dog version of a quilt design I created to go with the Paws! fabric line from Fabri-Quilt. This quilt along with a cat version will be appearing in the Fall issue of Easy Quilts. Here are photos to give you a hint at what you will see in the Fall.

Seems a little odd to be talking about Fall when all we really want here in Iowa right now is to see some signs of spring. Enjoy!

Tony Jacobson (Art Director)

Comments

Kathleen Manoff wrote re: Quilts for Pet Lovers
on Tuesday, 9 March 2010, 4:24 PM

I love your quilts.  I have 2 Shar-Pei dogs and they are hard to find on dog print fabric.

But I lucked out and found 2 different prints that had Shar-Pei on them so I bought all that the store had.

I love both the Dog and the cat they are wonderful.  I hope that mine come out as great as yours.  Kathleen

EQeditor wrote re: Quilts for Pet Lovers
on Wednesday, 10 March 2010, 9:47 AM

Glad you like the quilts, Kathleen. I too have a hard time finding fabrics that show an Old English Sheepdog. That's one of the reasons I really liked the dog fabric. The Sheepdog in the print has the same goofy expression as my dog, Jackson.

Nana wrote re: Quilts for Pet Lovers
on Wednesday, 10 March 2010, 10:59 AM

I love your quilts.  I am very much a dog person and sometimes make quilts for my dogs to use.  These are very pretty.

Marty Shultz wrote re: Quilts for Pet Lovers
on Thursday, 11 March 2010, 8:30 AM

I love your quilts. I to have animals that help me when I quilt if is sewing or setting at the quilting frame.

With 4 dogs and 4 cats I always have plenty of helping paws. One of our dogs is a husky and wolf mixture and the other big one is a borozi and then 2 little ones they are the one to do the surpervising and the cats add all the helping.

Marge (AKA Dimples) wrote re: Quilts for Pet Lovers
on Thursday, 11 March 2010, 8:44 AM

Love the quilts Marty.  I will look forward to the Fall issue.  The Quilts for Kids kit that I received has a Dalmation print in it.  I have been looking for some doggie fabric to make myself a quilt to cuddle under to watch TV.  I will have to check for the Paws line.

EQeditor wrote re: Quilts for Pet Lovers
on Thursday, 11 March 2010, 9:06 AM

Another good line of fabrics for dog lovers is the Aspen Line from Avlyn. It features a variety of dog breeds and the coordinating fabrics have dog bones. There is also a stripe to go with it. To top it off, 10% of the sales of this line goes to the Humane Society of America.

Tony

Pattc2it wrote re: Quilts for Pet Lovers
on Tuesday, 23 March 2010, 9:35 AM

I just finished the top to my dog quilt.  It started out just being a way to try different patterns and took on a whole new life.  I used the Aspen Line along with denim and for the backing I am using red flannel.  I have a little 3 yr old female Shih-tzu and a new 10 mo. old male Lhasa. I am now working on a cat quilt which will be going to Floridia for my sisters cats.  I get such a kick from this.

Willie L wrote re: Quilts for Pet Lovers
on Wednesday, 24 March 2010, 3:17 PM

I love the quilt.I have 2 Canine Americans,a Shitzu and a Min-Pin.

Stephanie wrote re: Quilts for Pet Lovers
on Wednesday, 24 March 2010, 3:55 PM

Love your quilts and the fabrics are super. Hmmm....maybe if I make my 2 Rotties and German shepherd a quilt of their own they' ll sleep on them instead of my bed! Look forward to seeing them in the fall issue.

CJ Hines wrote re: Quilts for Pet Lovers
on Wednesday, 24 March 2010, 6:40 PM

I'm a dog lover so I especially like the quilt with the dog fabric! It's so whimsical and fun. You look like you know what you're doing with that longarm:)

EQeditor wrote re: Quilts for Pet Lovers
on Thursday, 25 March 2010, 10:31 AM

I'm glad you like what I'm doing on the longarm. I am definitely a beginner when it comes to this part of it. It is getting more fun to do as I am getting more comfortable with the machine.

Tony

banks12345@aol.com wrote re: Quilts for Pet Lovers
on Sunday, 4 April 2010, 9:46 PM

Oh my gosh, I LOVE dogs!!!  I make dog collars to celebrate all dogs.  With four of my own I can never get enough!  Love the quilt- way to go!!!

Pat wrote re: Quilts for Pet Lovers
on Sunday, 4 April 2010, 10:48 PM

I love your quilts!!  I have a Rat Terrier, names Zoe, and a Rat Terrier mix named Charlie.  Also a very fat Yellow Tabby cat named Ellie.  She is always nosy, and has to trail after me no matter what I'm doing. I've made my outside dogs years ago, beds made out of cedar shavings inside.  Always heard that would keep the fleas away.  So glad that we will have quilts for pets, that is awesome.

Judy Lee wrote re: Quilts for Pet Lovers
on Sunday, 9 May 2010, 7:28 PM

I have 2 small Maltese pups that love to lay on my soft quilts, so of course I had to make them their own/