Great Quilt Pattern for Large Print Fabrics

I have had some large-print fabrics in my closet for several years. My mother brought them back with her from a trip she took to Alaska. One of the print fabrics was a blue, white, and black print of Wolves. Another print included outdoor wildlife scenes and a third fabric had eagles printed on it. These fabrics seemed to find a semi-permanent place in my fabric stash because I just couldn't quite come up with a good way to use all of the fabrics together to make a cohesive quilt.

In the Fall 2009 issue of Easy Quilts we ran a project called Venetian Dreams which featured 4 different sizes of squares with sashing between the squares to form the larger block. This turned out to be just the pattern I had been looking for to make this Alaska quilt for my parents. I was able to get it all pieced and quilted in time to give it to my parents this Christmas.

If you too have large-print fabrics that you have had a hard time pulling together into a quilt, take a look at the Venetian Dream quilt pattern. As a member of Quilter's Club of America you can view electronic versions of back issue on the website and print out the directions for quilts from these issues.

Enjoy!

Tony (Art Director, Easy Quilts)

Comments

Marge Campbell wrote re: Great Quilt Pattern for Large Print Fabrics
on Saturday, 23 January 2010, 2:40 PM

Very nice quilt!  Love the way you used the black sashing.

CS wrote re: Great Quilt Pattern for Large Print Fabrics
on Saturday, 23 January 2010, 2:48 PM

Beautiful Quilt !

cookiejar wrote re: Great Quilt Pattern for Large Print Fabrics
on Sunday, 31 January 2010, 10:08 AM

very nice

wjpgp wrote re: Great Quilt Pattern for Large Print Fabrics
on Thursday, 4 February 2010, 2:52 PM

Thank you for an idea of what to do with some large print.  I have some left over from a quilt I made my grandsons.  I was a miss of what to do.  you quilt is beautiful.  A lot of time and effort was used, you can tell.

Dale wrote re: Great Quilt Pattern for Large Print Fabrics
on Monday, 22 February 2010, 5:26 AM

Very, very nice.  It looks like you picked the fabrics specifically just to make this special quilt.  What a wonderful rememberance for your parents of their trip to Alaska.

Nana wrote re: Great Quilt Pattern for Large Print Fabrics
on Monday, 22 February 2010, 11:05 AM

Beautiful quilt.  I am also using this pattern for large print florals.  It will be my garden dreams quilt.  It is sort of a ufo at the moment.  I have had to put it aside to finish some more pressing projects.