The Quilted Teacup

A quilters journey

Recent Posts

Tags

News

• Tomorrow is race day!!!! Follow the 2013 Ogden Half Marathon in 2D (Google Maps) or 3D (Google Earth) at the following link http://www.racemyrace.com/hosted/ogden_half.php?rid=162

Community

Email Notifications

FAVORITE PLACES

Archives

Blog Archive List

Small Spaces into Working Places

I wrote in my introduce yourself about moving my son out of his bedroom and making his room my sewing room. I wanted to share with you all how I turned tat small room into my haven.

I don't have the walls painted yet or the wood floor refinished but here it is in picture form.  The room is only 12'X9'

•  West wall, We bought a prefabbed counter top and I set it on milk creates. underneath, I store all my pattern boxes. we added two sets of shelving brackets to the wall and I made a set of corner shelves and rectangular shelves. Above the counter top I store some of my fat quarters in plastic creates that I buy at Wall Mart for a buck. They are perfect for fat quarters.

• North wall,This is where I have the computer set up to my TV monitor. I bought this cabinet at K Mart on a close out. The Rolly bin next to it I purchased from Jo Ann's When they closed their doors and moved into their super store. ( I worked for them for 4 years) It stores all my yarn, Craft fair projects, some batting, and my craft supplies.

• East wall,This is where the closet is and to the right above the cutting table is two cupboard doors. This is where I store all my Cotton fabrics.

•    in the closet, I store all my textile fabric for sewing, and the totes that are on the top contain scraps and batting.

• This is the South wall It serves as my office space.  Here again we have a prefabbed counter top on the one end it sits atop two milk creates.  on the other end it is attached to a closet shelf unit. with two L brackets.

One day real soon I will move it all downstairs and until we can paint, and redo the wood floor.  I have purchased all the fabric to make curtains and covers for all my stuff. I can't wait!!!!!

Comments

gini said:

wendy, you have a great set up for your quilting      gini

# March 21, 2010 10:34 PM

Kathy D said:

Wendy, You have a great quilting space and you are so resourceful.

# March 24, 2010 2:52 PM

Linny t said:

I love what you've done with your small space.  I, too, have a small space.  It looks and works great as long as I'm not making a quilt.  The moment I get fabric out it explodes into chaos.  I think it's because I get in a creative zone and organization moves to the end of the line :)  I have gleaned a few organizational ideas from your small space, so maybe there's hope for me yet, LOL

Your work is beautiful and I can see you are a very tallented quilter.

Thanks for friending me.

linny t

# March 25, 2010 8:08 PM

Linda said:

I love your sewing room; it is quite large compared to where I sew. We live in a large RV and I have my machine set up on my side of our dining table and 2 drawer units beside my chair. One of the units houses my serger on the top. I cut my fabric on the kitchen counter, and I have my iron and pressing board set up on a flip-up bar to the left of my dining table. You are so blessed to have such a wonderful space, and I feel blessed to have my sewing space set up in my RV.

Linda in Central Texas

# March 27, 2010 8:44 PM

Nana said:

you have done wonders with your small space.  WTG.

# March 27, 2010 11:43 PM

jay-marie said:

Wendy I love what you have done in your room. It reminds me of my room but yours is much tidier. My space is 6x8 feet and I have far too much stuff.

# April 21, 2010 8:04 AM

jay-marie said:

# April 21, 2010 8:04 AM

lea ritchot said:

Wonderful little area to work from...Everything is handy, you want to move? Why, this is useful area...

# May 2, 2010 4:33 PM

DOROTHYT-2 said:

I don't have a picture and right now it is really messy but my husband needed my sewing room for another office.  He writes for two magazines and had 5 books out. SO..I had Champion build me a 14 foot square  glass Patio room out on the deck.  That patio room is totally my sewing room.  The only problem with it is no wall space.  I wouldn't want the fabric exposed to the sun anyway.  I do have 1  1/2 walls with white cabinets.  One wall with plastic roll containes bought from Joan's or Wall-Mart.  1/2 wall with bookcases for all the great books.  I do have the cutting table that has the sides that fold down and then two sewing tables.  Tv mounted.  It is a really good treat to sit out there in the rain and hear the rain drops on the roof.   Three walls glass and one wall is part of the house.  I have to walk about 4 feet from family room door to sewing room door.     Not very neat right now and may never be totally.   I just went to a "Organize your sewing room"  lecture class yesterday.. They suggsted storing fabric in darks, med,lights, brights, and oh I can't remember the other one.  I do by color or pattern.. Like all pine cone fabric together.

# January 9, 2011 9:55 PM