Black Cat Creations - Jelly Roll Log Cabin

This colorful, beginner-friendly pattern comes to us from Judy Reynolds and Amy Cotham, the owners of Black Cat Creations, an independent quilt design business. To download this pattern, just click on the .pdf file (green link) next to "Attachment" found at the conclusion of this post.

Jellyroll Log Cabin is the first of a series of free quilt patterns the owners of Black Cat Creations are offering to people who visit their web site and subscribe to their e-mail list. There will be a new quilt pattern each month.  If you like this design, be sure to sign up for more free patterns here: www.black-cat-creations.com

About Black Cat Creations:

Black Cat Creations was formed in 1998 by Judy Reynolds.  Judy has a Bachelor of Fine Arts in Painting from the University of Houston--a degree she pursued after her children were grown.  She was actually going to school at the same time her girls were!  She has worked in the retail quilting industry for 14 years.  A dream fulfilled.  She has two girls and one boy, all grown, and a husband of 31 years.  The name "Black Cat Creations" was taken from her black cat "Good Kitty" because of his constant and sometimes annoying presence while sewing.

Judy's original artwork is evident in her beautiful crayon quilts.  She developed this technique in her first block of the month series and has gone on to create 5 crayon quilts to date.  People have so much fun with this technique.  It really brings out the child in all of us.  She designed a fabric line by P&B Fabrics called "Dreamy Meadow" in 2003.

Amy Cotham joined Judy in 1999.  As an avid quilter with management and office experience, she added marketing and pattern development to the partnership.  She has three grown boys and a husband of 30 years.  Amy is originally from New Orleans but has been a Houstonian for 19 years now.  Unlike Judy, she has no art background, but she sure can burn up the keyboard!  They both enjoy designing quilts - Judy's with a more artful flare and Amy's are just plain and easy.  They share a love of gardening which is obvious in a lot of their pattern designs and fabric choices.  They are both "cat people" and decided a couple of years ago that they needed a cat quilt.  That's when Judy developed the Plaid Cats in My Garden block of the month.  It's a stunning crayon quilt featuring cats in all colors and positions.

Comments

rcheh152@sbcglobal.net wrote re: Black Cat Creations - Jelly Roll Log Cabin
on Friday, 5 February 2010, 7:49 AM

I have sewn for years but getting into quilting. would like your newsletter and info..

youngsl@comcast.net wrote re: Black Cat Creations - Jelly Roll Log Cabin
on Friday, 5 February 2010, 8:02 AM

I have been looking for a good quilt patterns for small scraps that does not use half square triangles and it looks like this would be perfect.  thanks,

Carolscats wrote re: Black Cat Creations - Jelly Roll Log Cabin
on Friday, 5 February 2010, 9:01 AM

would love to see cat quilting patterns---as my user name implies I'm a "cat person."at one time was "owned"by 6 cats.down 2 now.

xtennisbreak wrote re: Black Cat Creations - Jelly Roll Log Cabin
on Friday, 5 February 2010, 9:10 AM

As a cat person and quilter, I am also interested in the Jelly Roll patterns.

mjrm2516@charter.net wrote re: Black Cat Creations - Jelly Roll Log Cabin
on Friday, 5 February 2010, 12:04 PM

I love Jelly Rolls and have two cats who complain if I don't spend some time each day in my sewing room so they can have a nap there.  This looks like a fun pattern.

nargis wrote re: Black Cat Creations - Jelly Roll Log Cabin
on Friday, 5 February 2010, 4:12 PM

Thank you, I love it. God bless nargis

Carrol Lee wrote re: Black Cat Creations - Jelly Roll Log Cabin
on Saturday, 6 February 2010, 12:17 PM

Lots of cat people in quilting.  The cats love you and your quilts. Great company when sewing.  Thanks for the pattern.  Scraps goodbye.

ceilkenvo@suddenlink.net wrote re: Black Cat Creations - Jelly Roll Log Cabin
on Saturday, 6 February 2010, 8:26 PM

WOW! Love the pattern and the fabric.  Looks like jeweled tiles.  So colorful, it just pops right up at you.  Please give your cat a big hug for me.  Lost my cat a while back and sure do miss her.  Thanks for the pattern.

aleene36@gmail.com wrote re: Black Cat Creations - Jelly Roll Log Cabin
on Monday, 8 February 2010, 10:43 AM

Only a few quilts catch my eye like the Jelly Roll Log Cabin did. I love it. Just love it.

Because my sister is such a cat person ( I'm a Yorkie person as I am "owned by one") I am always looking for an exceptionally good Cat Quilt. Thanks for both.

ALICE V. STUTZ wrote re: Black Cat Creations - Jelly Roll Log Cabin
on Saturday, 13 February 2010, 9:07 PM

I'm not owned by nor do I serve a cat, but I do understand.  I am a beginning quilter, I have much to learn.

Bonnie wrote re: Black Cat Creations - Jelly Roll Log Cabin
on Sunday, 14 February 2010, 11:01 AM

I, too, am owned by a crazy cat that should be on valium at times.  But we love him.  He was wild til about 2 months old and I asked my grandson to try and catch him.  He did.  And within a few days, we were his.  Supposedly I am allergic to cats, but no problems so far.

But anyway, thank you for sharing you beautiful Jelly Roll Log Cabin pattern with us.

Anita wrote re: Black Cat Creations - Jelly Roll Log Cabin
on Thursday, 25 February 2010, 12:47 PM

If I am going to make a log cabin, I will work with long strips. Matching all those seams... too much work. You can make a real log cabin with jelly rolls also.

carol.siviter@gmail.com wrote re: Black Cat Creations - Jelly Roll Log Cabin
on Tuesday, 9 March 2010, 10:07 AM

I missed the opportunity to respond to what I would take to a desert island but that would have been easy for me as I travel a lot and though I do have machines at two of my locations I find myself today on my sail boat in the caribbean having a ball with my creations.  I solved the problem by working on a hand paper pieced quilt.  All I need is some pre planning and lots of precut fabric pieces, paper, a few Ziploc bags, airport security friendly nippers, some thread, a few pins and needles.  I can work on an air plane or a sail boat!!  I am almost finished with a king sized quilt and thinking of what 'travel' project I will begin next.  It has taken me less than 2 years and it has traveled with me to South Africa, the US and now the Caribbean.  Us quilters can't be stopped.  Carol Siviter  carol.siviter@gmail.com

Betty Loomis wrote re: Black Cat Creations - Jelly Roll Log Cabin
on Friday, 19 March 2010, 4:29 PM

I like you Alice I do not have a cat. I have been gathering material, patterns & everything that goes with quilting. I made an Tripple Irish Chain not knowing how hard it would be for a novice. Everyone loves it. I am going to get started soon on a baby quilt.

gini wrote re: Black Cat Creations - Jelly Roll Log Cabin
on Tuesday, 23 March 2010, 12:36 PM

i've been looking for a great beginner pattern for a friend  thanks   gini

Nana wrote re: Black Cat Creations - Jelly Roll Log Cabin
on Tuesday, 23 March 2010, 3:36 PM

Beautiful fabrics used in this pattern.  Very pretty.  Thanks for sharing.

Willie L wrote re: Black Cat Creations - Jelly Roll Log Cabin
on Thursday, 25 March 2010, 10:14 PM

I love this pattern,Made all my blocks at MT.Quiltfest and n will sew them together at our retreat in 2 weeks.

Love the brightness of it.Thanks Black cat for providing it.

evatsq wrote re: Black Cat Creations - Jelly Roll Log Cabin
on Saturday, 3 April 2010, 10:36 PM

I have been looking for a pattern for my jelly roll collection that would inspire me. thank you