Patti's Ponderings II

Quilts, Crafts, and More

Test quilt

So, my DH (dear hubby) gave me a Tin Lizzie 18LS longarm machine and a Grace Pinnacle frame for my birthday last month.  I used some scrap fabric to test free motion quilting for a while and then decided to whip up this small green/white/pink 36"x36" wallhanging to use to test the laser and pantograph capabilities of my machine.

Here is the quilt on the frame...

Here is a close-up of the pantograph design stitched on the quilt.  Since it was an overall design, I started the stitching on the batting and then just continued on down to the bottom of the quilt.  The pantograph pattern was a hearts and flowers design.  I had some issues with the tension so the white bobbin thread showed through in places, but for my very first real quilt on the longarm, I was pleased with the results...

And here is the quilt after I added the binding and a hanger.  I think maybe I need to add weights to the bottom corners of the quilt to keep them from bowing.  It looks like the bottom edge of the quilt is curved, but it really isn't!

Patti in Pgh

Published Mon, Mar 29 2010 8:09 PM by Patti
Filed under: ,

Comments

# re: Test quilt@ Monday, March 29, 2010 7:37 PM

patti, i think your first effort turned out great   way to go   gini

by gini

# re: Test quilt@ Monday, March 29, 2010 8:22 PM

Patti I think you did an awesome job for a first quilt on your longarm.  I have had mine about 2 yrs and still haven't mastered pantographs.  But I can do FMQ all day...LOL>

by Nana

# re: Test quilt@ Monday, March 29, 2010 8:48 PM

Patti I think you did a great job. Love the Quilt.

I have a Handy Quilter II frame and a Brother 1500 I just started practicing myself.

Later when I master the art of Long-Arm quilting a bit better I'll get HQ 16" since I already have a frame.

by Anita

# re: Test quilt@ Monday, March 29, 2010 10:31 PM

Patti I think you did great.I have had a mid arm for about 2 years and still can`t really say I like it.My DD#2 can step up and use it like she has been doing it all her life,not me.

# re: Test quilt@ Tuesday, March 30, 2010 6:20 AM

Thanks, everyone!

I played around with free motion quilting, but I'm not brave enough to try it on a quilt yet!

I am practicing on a whiteboard using Dawn Ramirez' Pajama Quilter Reloaded DVD and Workbook.  My whiteboard results are getting better, so I may give it a try on the longarm again!  :-D

by Patti

# re: Test quilt@ Tuesday, March 30, 2010 8:51 PM

Great start Patti, you'll be a pro before you know it.

# re: Test quilt@ Tuesday, March 30, 2010 8:58 PM

Fantastic Patti.With each one you do you will grow with confidence.  Love the panto you chose.  You rock!

by Kathy D