Thea's quilting trials and tribulations.

Life teaches us many lessons! Some of the greatest lessons in my life have been taught to me by my quilts and the people that I have met through my quilting.

I love Roses

I found this Rose quilt kit at Nancys Notions - I absolutely love Roses and have been trying to find a really good Rose applique... I have found beautiful ones that you could embroider but I wanted one that was great in applique.  I have found Rose of Sharon appliques that are great but the rose is a difficult flower to do as it has so many small petals and the shading has to be just pefect or to me it just doesn't look right - I really like how this turned out though...

The little table below the quilt has a bouquet of roses that my DD Steva sent me for Mother's day - plus some of my collection of Jim Shore's cat figurines...

Published Fri, Jul 24 2009 1:51 AM by Thea

Comments

# re: I love Roses@ Friday, July 24, 2009 11:39 AM

You did a great job with the shading.

# re: I love Roses@ Friday, July 24, 2009 12:15 PM

I wish I could take credit for it - but this is a kit - they sent me the pattern - the material - it is raw edge applique - you start with a piece on the bottom - put another piece on top of that and then pieces throughout the area on top of that... I satin stitched them all down very close as all my quilts are washed - even the wall hangings... no matter how I try to keep this house clean there is just too much dust in Oklahoma - open a door and the wind blows across the plains and brings it right in... drives me nuts - I thought the dirt was bad in Japan-- and that drove me nuts...lol

I am just a NUT!

by Thea

# re: I love Roses@ Friday, July 24, 2009 5:56 PM

This is lovely. I saw this one and was quite intimidated. Even if it's a kit there still has to be great skill to put it together.

by Kris

# re: I love Roses@ Saturday, July 25, 2009 8:41 PM

Your rose quilt is beautiful!  You said it was an applique kit.  Is the bright red the background?   Did you have to use a stabilizer?

# re: I love Roses@ Saturday, July 25, 2009 8:47 PM

No stabilizer - and it is built from the bottom up the darkest fabric being on the bottom - then you draw your pattern on a piece of fusible - press it to the back of your next material - cut it out - lay it on top and iron down - teh next color is pieces that are all over the place - I used a light box underneath to place them where they needed to go - and then pressed them down...

by Thea

# re: I love Roses@ Sunday, July 26, 2009 6:39 AM

This is more of an art quilt. It reminds me of Andy Warhol style only more subdued. You were talking about the dust in Oklahoma, trust me it's no better in Florida. It's an ongoing battle.lol. Of course having three dogs and a cat don't help, but I wouldn't trade any of them for less dust. Pretty quilt.

# re: I love Roses@ Sunday, August 9, 2009 12:46 PM

thank you - it hangs on my door now - i get to look at a beautiful rose all year long!

by Thea